• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Liquid Wax over Synthetic Sealant #21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Liquid Wax over Synthetic Sealant #21

I applied two coats of M21 to my truck about two weeks ago. Super easy application/removal by hand and a great improvement. I've since read a bunch of posts here and elsewhere and I'm regretting not having used Ultimate Liquid Wax. My question is- can I go ahead and apply the Ultimate Liquid Wax now? Over the top of M21? Or is it too late?

I've read that they are two totally different polymer formulations- would M21 need to be stripped first? I really appreciate any insight you might have- thank you!

Re: Ultimate Liquid Wax over Synthetic Sealant #21

You can add another coat. You are essentially using two synthetic products so you would not see any benefit. Let M21 run it's course and then try UW next time. M21 is still a great sealant.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks, I figured that was the case. How does one judge when to put another/new coat on?

Comment

Someone posted on here some time ago that when your detail starts to feel grabby, it's time to recoat. M21 will probably last you about 3-5 month time frame.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Doesn't anyone use the "squeak test" to test for the presence of wax anymore?
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

What's the squeak test?

Comment

Here's a great article by Mike Phillips explaining it:

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              The Squeak Test - How to test for the presence of wax

This article can be found in the Meguiar's How-To Articles forum

~~~~~~~~~~~

An accurate indicator of whether there is a protective wax coating on the surface of your car's paint or not is a test Meguiar's has been teaching for probably close to 50 years if not longer. We teach this at all of our detailing classes here at Meguiar's on Saturdays' also, it's called the Squeak Test.

Note: It's vitally important that you first wash your car before performing the squeak test, the paint needs to be clean and free from any dirt or dust. Wiping with a quick detailer may give you a false reading as most quick detailers add gloss and slickness, thus adulterating the test

Here's how you do it, you get a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. In this case, I'm using Meguiar's new Soft Buff™ Terry Towels polishing towel.

Lay the towel out flat, then fold it in such a way as to ball it up, in my case, I fold each corner into the middle, and then repeat that a second time.

This gives you a ball of terry cloth toweling that provides a flat surface against your finish, plenty of cushion between your hand and the paint, and something for your hand to grasp onto.

Now, twist the towel firmly against your car's finish in a circular back and forth motion and listen...

If there is silence, and the towel glides and slips on the paint, then there is wax present.

If you hear a squeaking sound, (as in squeaking clean), then there is no wax present, (or very little) and it's time to apply more wax.

Here's how this works,

Your coating of wax acts as a dry lubricant, it creates slip and decrease friction, if there is wax present on the finish, your towel will slip instead of grab and you wont' hear any noise, in other words, you won't hear any friction.

If there is no wax on the surface, then the circular twisting motion will create friction and you will hear a squeaking noise.

Like Meguiar's Swipe Test, is a more accurate indicator of whether a wax has fully dried and is ready to remove, Meguiar's Squeak Test is a more accurate indicator of whether or not their is wax on the surface.

By the word wax, we mean anything that is intended to protect the finish, whether it's labeled polish, or paint protectant, or sealant, or whatever...

If it's a product designed to be applied to the paint to protect it, it can generically be placed into the wax category, or the 4th step of Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect
              (The wax step, anything that is intended to protect the finish, whether it's labeled polish, or paint protectant, or sealant, or whatever... )

Step 5 Maintain

Hope this helps...
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

That was quite an interesting read... And I'm not referring to the squeak test, I'm talking about the reply given by Mike Phillips in response to the whole situation in that thread.. That was very classy.

It's a big responsibility to be the face of this sort of online community. I can only imagine what it must be like to have to double check your words to ensure they're as correct as possible, not to mention the many other variables involved with every single detailed situation, as none of them are exactly the same. Oh and by the way being asked to give advice, sight unseen to people/car enthusiasts/detailers who are among the most OCD people there could be! Lol.

We as members should be very grateful this is even available to us. [I'm sure most of us are] We're also very fortunate that car enthusiasts or "detailers" seem to naturally be more respectful and mature compared to some other communities across the internet.

So for all the cred someone like Mike Phillips gets, [deservedly so] it's really great to see someone like him take responsibility for the words he posted and offer a direct, respectful response when challenged. [IMO respectfully challenged, as I didn't think it was combative in any way]

And I couldn't help but smile when I read Mike Stoops' post near the end ensuring everything was fine You'd be hard pressed to find many other people who "get it" and are able to communicate with others quite like Mike Stoops. I think everyone who's been fortunate enough to have met him [whether here or in person] will agree he's the Easiest guy in the world to get along with!

If everyone on earth was a car person, the world would be a much better place...

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');