• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toyota 4Runner - 4x4 - Extreme Scratches!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota 4Runner - 4x4 - Extreme Scratches!

This is a daily driven 4runner that sees off road trails fairly regularly. Most of the "pinstripes" you see came from one particular trail.

The owner wanted me to "make it look better" and so I did. Well, at the minimum, he's quite happy with the results.

The goal wasn't perfection. It wasn't to even come close. After discussion with the owner, it was agreed that I would work out as many of the bigger scratches as I can, without removing too much paint. Knowing that the 4Runner would continue to see daily driver duty and more off road fun, we agreed that a simple correction would do. Make it look better.

The process: Standard wash and clay. Followed by correction with M105 on a Hex Logic Orange pad. I skipped the M205 step (on most of it) and went for a glaze. I did stray from the Megs line-up here, since I had read good things about the glaze I ended up using, and wasn't sure which of the Megs glaze would work. (I was still fairly new to paint correction at this point. Honestly, I still don't know the entire Megs line up and what they're best suited for). I used the PC for most of the work, and used Meg's DA Power System on my Dewalt cordless for the pillars and other smaller spots. With the DAPS, I still used Hex Logic pads and M105 for most of the work. I did, however, use Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish on their respective burgandy and yellow pads on one quarter panel, for a video I made for YouTube.

Anyway, on to some pics...

From the night before. One angle under one type of lighting. Shows you what I'm working with!

IMG_20141219_054224666

Another before pic. Just prior to starting the clay process.

More close up to the wonderful mess.

Ahhh, the front fender. This was fun.

Test spot. I used the Hex Logic Yellow pad, and decided I didn't like it. Went with Orange for the rest.

Taping off some edges. (Damn, that is time consuming!)

The mandatory 50/50 shot. You can still see the deeper scratches on the "good" side, but it's much improved.

A "detail" shot showing some pretty decent reflection (If I do say some myself)

And this side is done!

Thank you for reading / viewing.

Re: Toyota 4Runner - 4x4 - Extreme Scratches!

weird. not all pics came out.... hopefully this post gets them in.

IMG_20141219_085010807_HDR

IMG_20141219_085019533_HDR

IMG_20141219_161036140_HDR

IMG_20141220_140517356_HDR

Comment

That was one well 'used as intended' truck!

You have it looking very nice now, and considering it will continue to see more hard use, it probably looks better than it has a right to!

Comment

I know it's just a truck being used for its purpose, but I was still horrified by those scratches!

Well done, you did an amazing job improving them
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Wow, awesome results!

Comment

Nice! Nice! Nice!

And yea, taping off can sometimes be a bit time consuming. Lol.

Comment

Whoa! Nice turn around on that.

I don't think the deeper scratches will really get much better, but that is a HUGE improvement.

Personally I'd skip the glaze and just use polish next time. Glaze is kind of a waste when you are correcting a car IMO.

Are you still IFS on the 4runner?

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words!

Originally posted by Selectchoice View Post
                That was one well 'used as intended' truck!

You have it looking very nice now, and considering it will continue to see more hard use, it probably looks better than it has a right to!
                He's almost there. I keep pushing him to do harder obstacles. Slowly but surely. He is getting out there, though, and that's enough haha, it does look better than it has a right to! But he still wants it looking pretty.

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
                Whoa! Nice turn around on that.

I don't think the deeper scratches will really get much better, but that is a HUGE improvement.

Personally I'd skip the glaze and just use polish next time. Glaze is kind of a waste when you are correcting a car IMO.

Are you still IFS on the 4runner?
                HUGE improvement works. Hmm, just polish, eh? Not sure it crossed my mind on this project.

Nah. he is still IFS. He's never brought up doing a solid axle swap. I almost picked up a Tacoma and that was one of the mods I would have done!

Comment

Originally posted by JustJesus View Post
                  HUGE improvement works. Hmm, just polish, eh? Not sure it crossed my mind on this project.

Nah. he is still IFS. He's never brought up doing a solid axle swap. I almost picked up a Tacoma and that was one of the mods I would have done!
                  I more meant polish as a follow up to compounding. The glaze adds temporary gloss, whereas a polish will refine the paint after the compounding step and is more permanent if you will.

IFS isn't too bad on Yota's, but solid axle is where it is at. Helped a buddy of mine build an absolute monster crawler a few years back. Longbed, bobbed 12" and full width front and rear with e-lockers front and rear. Tacoma 4cyl swap and stacked transfer cases. He just moved up to 40" tires and is looking into the factory blower now.

Comment

I see what you're saying, Das. I thought about it, spoke with the owner about it, but we decided against it to leave more paint behind for future corrections.
                    I've been out with him a few more times, and he's being very careful around shrubs and such! So he learned

Agreed on the solid axles. - GEEZ, that's some serious machinery there!!! Lockers front and back, too. Damn. Drool. haha

Comment

Very nice!
                      Cars:
                      2012 Nissan GTR, 2006 Acura TSX, 1999 Honda Civic (K20 swap)

DA machines:
                      Rupes LHR21ES, Rupes nano ibrid, PC 7424xp

Comment

Originally posted by MikeEM1 View Post
                        Very nice!
                        Thanks man!

Comment

Talking about a extreme makeover great work!

Comment

Thank you, Torque!

Comment

Wow, the difference is huge!! Thank you for sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');