• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APC uses and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC uses and other questions

Hello,

I'm looking to buy some APC for interior cleaning and possibly other tasks. I actually don't need it for my car since I use the other quick detailing products by Meguiar's on it. Some of the other cars I'm going to be cleaning need some extra cleaning power so I figure that the APC might be more suitable for them. However, it is a gallon and I'm not sure if it's a good value to purchase that much of it. I'm wondering if the APC can be used on other things besides interior. I believe the APC can be used to clean cloth seats too. If this is the case, that might be reason enough to buy it.

For example, on the front bumper of one of the cars I'll be doing there are a lot of bugs that are stuck on. I'm wondering if I spray APC on the bumper and then rinse it off, might that help in getting some of the bugs off?

Also, while I'm at it, would the Super Degreaser be a good product to have as well? I use a non-Meguiar's APC to clean the tires with and it seems to work fine. So, I'm going to guess the Super Degreaser might be good also. Can this also be used on paint? Like spraying it on to remove stuck bugs, etc? Doorjambs? I've got pretty dirty doorjambs. LOL, I'm a newbie and haven't ever cleaned wheel wells area.

I want to find out different uses for the APC and Super Degreaser. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Re: APC uses and other questions

It's worth having the gallon and the bottle for it.

Super Degreaser is good but for me it's not a must have product. APC can accomplish a lot.

I don't use either product on exterior paint but APC works well on door jambs that are heavily dirty. Both work good on the wheel wells. I typically use APC but since I bought super degreaser I am using that as well for wheel wells and the occasional tire cleaning.

I tend to use D143 Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner to clean my tires as I have my wheels coated and only need soap and water.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

In my opinion there's nothing better than Super Degreaser@4:1 to clean tires & wheel wells. Other chemicals work ok, but nothing gets them as clean as D108.

Yea you can use Megs APC@10:1 for grimy bumpers. If I'm getting ready to wash an extra dirty vehicle I usually spray a soft mesh bug scrub sponge with APC and scrub all around the bottom lip of the whole car before the wash. Just keep in mind you'll be removing any wax if you use APC on the paint.

Both Super Degreaser and APC work good to clean out door jambs.

APC@10:1 also works great to clean & prep exterior plastic trim prior to applying trim dressing. It also works great to clean most wheels.

Comment

I just think APC covers a lot and really is a must have. Super Degreaesr is a nice to have but not really a must have. I have never had any issues having APC clean tires and wheel wells. It does a good job of it.

Although I did read on another forum that some guy said Super Degreaser makes a real good toilet cleaner lol.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I have both. I don't usually reach for D108, although it works pretty well as a concrete cleaner. Never tried it on tires.

D101 APC has been a great go to. I keep 3 separate sprayers of it ready to go. Undiluted, 4:1, and 10:1.

10:1 is strong enough for a bug pre-soak, but you have to be careful not to let it dry on the paint. If you are going to do that then have your wash buckets and mitt ready to go pretty much right after you spray it on. Also this dilution works well for stripping interior dressings and really dirty interior jobs. Just make sure you follow up with a damp towel to clean off any excess residue.

4:1 is what I use for cleaning exterior plastic trim, tires that are fairly well maintained and I just want to strip old dressing, cleaning wheels that are in between an iron dissolving product and car wash soap. Dirty wheel wells seem to be no problem with this dilution. Engine bays too.

Full strength I save for really nasty tires. When they haven't been cleaned in months I grab full strength. You can watch the blooming come off the tire as you spray it. So far the best tire cleaner I have found, but I haven't had a chance to compare it to D143 yet

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            It's worth having the gallon and the bottle for it.

Super Degreaser is good but for me it's not a must have product. APC can accomplish a lot.

I don't use either product on exterior paint but APC works well on door jambs that are heavily dirty. Both work good on the wheel wells. I typically use APC but since I bought super degreaser I am using that as well for wheel wells and the occasional tire cleaning.

I tend to use D143 Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner to clean my tires as I have my wheels coated and only need soap and water.
            The Guz, I'm slowly getting supplies I need to clean some cars. The APC makes sense for me because I want an interior cleaner that can clean dirtier interiors, seats and even floors. I believe the APC is the product of that. I tend to use my cleaning soap for wheels and have been using a general purpose APC on tires. Let's see if Meguiars APC will be used on the tires instead. I'll try it on wheels as well.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
            In my opinion there's nothing better than Super Degreaser@4:1 to clean tires & wheel wells. Other chemicals work ok, but nothing gets them as clean as D108.

Yea you can use Megs APC@10:1 for grimy bumpers. If I'm getting ready to wash an extra dirty vehicle I usually spray a soft mesh bug scrub sponge with APC and scrub all around the bottom lip of the whole car before the wash. Just keep in mind you'll be removing any wax if you use APC on the paint.

Both Super Degreaser and APC work good to clean out door jambs.

APC@10:1 also works great to clean & prep exterior plastic trim prior to applying trim dressing. It also works great to clean most wheels.
            Eldorado2k, very nice to hear! I'm going to be getting some of the APC. I've got some faded and probably stained exterior trim on my car so I'll be trying this product on it. Good to know on the Super Degreaser. Maybe I'll check it out as well.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
              I have both. I don't usually reach for D108, although it works pretty well as a concrete cleaner. Never tried it on tires.

D101 APC has been a great go to. I keep 3 separate sprayers of it ready to go. Undiluted, 4:1, and 10:1.

10:1 is strong enough for a bug pre-soak, but you have to be careful not to let it dry on the paint. If you are going to do that then have your wash buckets and mitt ready to go pretty much right after you spray it on. Also this dilution works well for stripping interior dressings and really dirty interior jobs. Just make sure you follow up with a damp towel to clean off any excess residue.

4:1 is what I use for cleaning exterior plastic trim, tires that are fairly well maintained and I just want to strip old dressing, cleaning wheels that are in between an iron dissolving product and car wash soap. Dirty wheel wells seem to be no problem with this dilution. Engine bays too.

Full strength I save for really nasty tires. When they haven't been cleaned in months I grab full strength. You can watch the blooming come off the tire as you spray it. So far the best tire cleaner I have found, but I haven't had a chance to compare it to D143 yet
              DasBurninator, very good to hear!

I believe my car's interior is pretty good so I usually use the quick interior cleaner, though lately I've been using Meguiar's Natural Shine because some areas were starting to look a little faded. I'm wondering if I really need to use the APC on the areas treated with NS - I'm thinking that's not really necessary for maintained interiors. Now, on the seats, they need to be cleaned a bit. I am looking forward to trying the APC out on them. I believe a brush is needed as well.

My plan is to spray the APC on the front bumper and then rinse it off with a pressure washer. This is because I do rinseless washes and sometimes the cars are too dirty for them so I figure I should clean as much of the heavier stuff off first.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nav45 View Post
                DasBurninator, very good to hear!

I believe my car's interior is pretty good so I usually use the quick interior cleaner, though lately I've been using Meguiar's Natural Shine because some areas were starting to look a little faded. I'm wondering if I really need to use the APC on the areas treated with NS - I'm thinking that's not really necessary for maintained interiors. Now, on the seats, they need to be cleaned a bit. I am looking forward to trying the APC out on them. I believe a brush is needed as well.

My plan is to spray the APC on the front bumper and then rinse it off with a pressure washer. This is because I do rinseless washes and sometimes the cars are too dirty for them so I figure I should clean as much of the heavier stuff off first.

Thank you.
                You may want to consider having a clean slate like once a year on your yearly big detail and clean off all of the old dressing. Week to week maintenance it isn't needed at all though. Or if you want to try a different dressing I would clean the old stuff off with some APC. I have a couple different horse hair brushes. One from detailers domain and the other is a larger brush for larger areas like seats. Both work really well. Just don't use too much pressure or you can strip the coating/dye right off the leather.

Sounds like a pretty sound plan for getting bugs off before a rinseless. They still may need agitation with a mit or a soft bug sponge to remove depending on how nasty they are.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
                  You may want to consider having a clean slate like once a year on your yearly big detail and clean off all of the old dressing. Week to week maintenance it isn't needed at all though. Or if you want to try a different dressing I would clean the old stuff off with some APC. I have a couple different horse hair brushes. One from detailers domain and the other is a larger brush for larger areas like seats. Both work really well. Just don't use too much pressure or you can strip the coating/dye right off the leather.

Sounds like a pretty sound plan for getting bugs off before a rinseless. They still may need agitation with a mit or a soft bug sponge to remove depending on how nasty they are.
                  I actually have cloth seats that I would like to clean. They're not that dirty but I might need some scrubbing. Maybe a regular scrub brush might do with the APC?

Thanks.

Comment

Just to mention, APC will strip your wax... so if just washing only, may want something else for bugs. Fabric softener sheets are good.

But yeah, I would say to have some APC. Between car, and around the house, it just covers a lot. I could do a paragraph on things I've cleaned with it.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Nav45 View Post
                      I actually have cloth seats that I would like to clean. They're not that dirty but I might need some scrubbing. Maybe a regular scrub brush might do with the APC?

Thanks.
                      For cloth seats I don't leave the APC on them... I use it @ 10:1 and will spray it on, agitate where needed and then extract with hot water. Same method for carpets as well. There are instructions on the D101 for use in a carpet extractor, but I can't remember the exact dilution recommended.

Personally I like extracting with hot water until there is no foamy stuff coming up. The less APC left behind on upholstery the better.

Comment

I used the APC today and I really like it. I used it on almost the entire interior(s), including the seats. It truly does an amazing job at cleaning. I thought my steering wheel was relatively clean but when I was wiping it with a MF cloth, almost the entire cloth was dark! It was pulling so much dirt - unless it was the actual dye or material. The seat that had stains on it was improved dramatically.

One thing though: On the steering wheel, I noticed that where the two seams meet, there appears to be damage. The two seams now are rough to the touch and the material has been degraded quite a bit - it looks damaged. I am going to assume the APC might be too strong (10:1) for the steering wheel. The other thing that might have occurred is that it simply removed the dirt and exposed the already worn surface, though I have my doubts about this case. So I'm going to be really hesitant now when using it on the steering wheel - especially where the seams meet. It is a leather steering wheel. Anyone have this happen as well?

Comment

I use a dedicated leather cleaner on the wheel & shift knob because they're delicate; Leather Masters foam is my choice.

Comment

@Nav45. You most likely just removed the dirt and exposed the damage that was already there.. It's happened to me before too on my own steering wheel. But like you I was also amazed at how much gunk actually came off once I used APC for the 1st time.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');