• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing result before wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing result before wax

Hello, I have tried to use ultimate compound and swirlX by hand on my jet black bmw f30 and feels like swirls aren't really removed until I waxed it.

Should all swirls removed completely before car is being waxed? Or is wax just used to cover up the swirls?

I am asking this because I have done around 8 application each for UC and SwirlX with a lot of elbow grease with the orange CCS hand applicator and find that swirl remains there until waxed.

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Polishing result before wax

Yes, unfortunately, it sounds like the wax is just hiding them. The paint is probably hard, so you'll have to do more to get swirl-free before wax, which in some ways, is just there to protect your polish work
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

You can only do so much by hand. You may want to consider investing in a dual action polisher. The wax filled in those swirls. Once it washes off or degrades with time the swirls will be back.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yeah all swirls came back just after a single wash. I guess I have no choice but to upgrade to DA. Do anybody know if there is cordless one? Since I live in downtown and parked in public garage, I don't have access to electric plugs.

Comment

What wax are you using? It should not have washed off after one wash.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I used meguiars ultimate liquid wax on clayed surface, so I think it should last longer than 1 wash. I did QD 2-3 times before my first after-wax wash though

Comment

Are you sure they're the same swirls you're seeing after the wash? You may have introduced new swirls by washing / QDing. Just a thought...
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Oh, and to answer your previous question, Mothers do make a cordless DA.

I'm not sure how good or powerful it is though. I saw a demo of one once and it seemed pretty good...
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Yeah actually that is a good possibility since a wiped out wax layer just after 1 wash is not normal, but the scratches was not completely removed until it is waxed, so I think its the old scratches coming back.

I'm still not sure of polishing steps though.

Do I keep using UC until scratches removed then go on to swirl x to remove hazing then wax?

Or should I use UC just to smooth out a little bit then polish it mainly with swirl x then wax?

Comment

Originally posted by rfcoolz View Post
                    ...keep using UC until scratches removed then go on to swirl x to remove hazing then wax
                    ^^ This

Comment

Originally posted by rfcoolz View Post
                      I used meguiars ultimate liquid wax on clayed surface, so I think it should last longer than 1 wash. I did QD 2-3 times before my first after-wax wash though
                      Cough...wha??....[chokes on beverage]. Ooh, that's going to upset the Ultimate/NXT Wax fans here who seem to think sealants last months and months and months (sorry, couldn't resist, guys)

Seriously, though, joking aside, you didn't do anything wrong, rfcoolz. Sealant/wax protection is delicate, so you might use Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere (UWWA) instead of QD, and follow the regular washing with Quik Wax (QW). That will help boost it longer. Davey is right. It is very easy to swirl up a freshly waxed surface, but those are often just in the finish layers, not the paint/clear. Again, UWWA will be a great help there, along with fresh Supreme Shine towels.

Before you get started with researching and trying DA work, you could first try Ultimate Polish (UP) after your compound(s), to help temporarily fill in various swirls. The UC/SwirlX by hand are good cleaners on hard paint, then the polish will make it look very nice indeed, and then the UW can be re-applied and regularly boosted with UWWA and QW. You might find that's enough to look great until you learn the machine. You'll likely use the UP anyway when you get the machine set up with foam or microfiber pads. Learning all that can be very frustrating, or at least time-consuming, so the polish step might take some the stress out of it for the time being.
                      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Thanks guys for the very detailed inputs. Actually I already worked in UP and get a very satisfying (I'd say almost perfect) result after a final coat of wax. But after washing my car (I mainly use waterless wash), some very light swirls and deeper scratches gradually returned.

I guess I just need to work on UC more since I relied too much on wax.

Comment

That, and check your washing technique to make sure you're not putting new swirls in... or at least minimising them.

Comment

Yep, I'm in the process of learning and have learned quite some technique. One question about microfiber though, I have one with low and high pile. Which is used for which? Is the high pile used for waterless wash and lower pile used for buffing the waterless wash? Or is it better to buff also with the higher pile?

Sorry for asking too many questions, still new to detailing

Comment

If the paint is super hard good luck getting swirls out by hand. As I said you can only do so much by hand. You can make it look better but you won't be removing moderate to deeper defects. You may have to live with what you have been using. By the way how do you know that UW has failed and is no longer on the paint?

I'm sure you have seen this.

Man versus Machine The human hand versus Meguiar's G110! This Lincoln has moderate swirls and also straight-line scratches running from front to back,
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');