• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing result before wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Polishing result before wax

I'm not sure what cause them, I just assume that deeper scratch won't just come by doing a wash (unless its super dirty, while my car only has a very light coat of dust). But it might also be my improper technique

Comment

Re: Polishing result before wax

I think you're seeing all variations of swirls and spiderwebs (I like the term spiderweb myself), and this is where you have to be careful not go get frustrated as you learn more about correction work. Some spiderwebs are in the clearcoat, and like scratches and other issues, they have to be compounded or polished out. Yet, with hard paint like yours (and mine), that requires hours of machine work to get it right. Other spiderwebs are often just in the layers of oils and wax and almost wipe off...

...but wiping causes them!

There is really no such thing as being 100% swirl-free or spiderweb-free all the time over weeks and months for a daily driver, especially in black. No matter how careful you are with buckets, mitts, towels, or spray products, you will see them crop up, because you still have to drive the car and keep it clean, not to mention having to deal with rock chips, etc. Every "touch" can possibly cause swirling or marring, but so can wind and weather, tree and bird droppings, and so on. The added frustration, as you've now seen, is that the polishing oils and sealants or waxes can hide some faint "defects" for a day or so, and then they're back, after all that work! So, inspecting your correction work carefully, section by section, is the key, making sure you're okay with it before you put any wax on, and so the correction takes even longer

It's all part of detailing in the real world, instead of show car theory for a vehicle that never sees weather, or really even roads, in some cases. You can get close to that ideal, even hit it after a careful correction and maintain it fairly easily during dry weather, but also staying sane is the bigger goal
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');