• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Products Contain Polishing Oils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Products Contain Polishing Oils?

As in a recent thread (Which Products Contain Carnauba?), it might seem obvious to some of you, but after hours of searching MOL and Google, it's not always so obvious to know for sure, definitively, really and truly, honest to goodness, and "we know because we make the stuff" factory info on which Meguiar's products from any line actually contain any amount of "polishing oils", and as such, which are intended as a polish, work as a polish, or work as a "cleaner".

Some of them we all know, because at least it says so on the bottle, such as Ultimate Polish, Deep Crystal Polish, or Detailer D302 Polish, etc, etc. Others seem to fall into the "myths and confusion" category, such as Ultimate Wax (Sealant) or M20 and M21 Sealants (NXT in consumer form), or even the various compounds, and even other products. Just as with our carnauba discussion, there are so many variations of Ultimate this and pro-version of Ultimate that in the various lines, but there is no official info I can find on which products really do contain polishing oils, and which are The Best Choices for either polishing or for cleaning, single step and multi-step. Perhaps "oils" are where the confusion lies, but then, "polishing" is also a vague term. The various compounds seem to "polish", but are they polishes?

Again, no theory, should be, thinks, or guesses, please. Some claims about polishing oils are spread among many threads, while some info is on other sites and cannot be trusted (this goes for the aggressiveness of SMAT products as well, btw). So, I'm asking for The Last Word on polishing oils in products for 2015

Thanks in advance!
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Re: Which Products Contain Polishing Oils?

You've probably had no response yet due to this:

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
    Again, no theory, should be, thinks, or guesses, please. Some claims about polishing oils are spread among many threads, while some info is on other sites and cannot be trusted (this goes for the aggressiveness of SMAT products as well, btw). So, I'm asking for The Last Word on polishing oils in products for 2015
    I'm replying because I want to subscribe to this thread, but while I'm here (if I may be so bold), I'd like to say that I think you'll find most polishes / compounds / waxes / sealants will contain at least some quantity of polishing oils.

I also think you'll find the term "polishing oils" is a very broad one.
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Yes, I agree. Just thought Mike Stoops would have a definitive list, as in the carnauba thread, so we're not cross-claiming things, such as this product does and this other one doesn't, all based on little more than someone assumed so or not in some thread years ago

Comment

*cough* bump *cough*

Maybe if the list is too long, a list of compounds, sealants and waxes that DO NOT have any polishing oils would be easier??

Comment

Oil is a broad category of non-polar substances that are used as lubricants, perfumes, and solvents for other non-polar compounds. Oil can be dissolved in alcohol, but does mix with water. Without this trait we would all be missing out on Lava lamps.

Polish has always meant to me the action of making a surface smooth. Polishing anything from teeth to table tops usually involves an abrasive and a liquid carrier to carry the abrasive, and take away material removed from the surface being polished.

I am not sure what a polishing oil is supposed to do for a living. Can it be used as a carrier to bring an abrasive to a surface? I suppose. I would think alcohol or ether might be better at this. Can it carry away removed debris? I suppose, however, is any of the oil left behind to either "nourish" the surface, or does it form a shiny oil slick-like coating for gloss meter toting Reflection Club members to ogle?

As a lubricant I would think of oil as being counter productive to the friction needed by abrasives to accomplish the polishing task.

Which products contain polishing oils? Look on the label. If it mentions "petroleum distillates" or it smells real nice it has oil.

Comment

I have to agree. The terminology is very frustrating and unlike any other industry.

"Cleaning" with abrasives but "polishing" with oils? Shouldn't that be reversed? Water on the surface of paint ("wet look") will "polish" under these definitions. Isn't D114 a "cleaner", with no abrasives...that should be removing any oils?

I can understand having some sort of "oil" (poplar and non-polar) for lubrication, cooling and carrier in a abrasive polish, but how the heck do you polish with an oil?

Comment

I agree, guys. However, after a year with little response, it seems this discussion is beyond the forum, somehow?

One thing I've learned is that much of what we call "polishing" is really the saturation of these fine oils into the paint. This gives the appearance of a fine polish, the shine, without wearing away the surface. The "cleaning", or compounding, is very carefully wearing away the surface before the oily polish, but also depositing oils on its own. Wax just "seals" and protects this work.

Comment

nxtwax 2.0 and ultimate liquid and paste wax have polishing oils, it says so in the "why so many waxes thread"

Comment

Ha-ha, I saw that when you bumped the thread yesterday. No wonder UW fans love it so much and think it's the answer to every thread - it's just another polish, but they somehow think it's a coating

Many confusions can be found on a discussion forum with so many similar (but great) products, and with all due respect to Mike Phillips and Michael Stoops, there just is no true definitive thread or article we can go to, or at least, not a recent one including all the new products and updates of older products. The forum is great for nuances and tips, but not for definitive facts. Like a lot of people (who don't seem to post here), I use DAMF, and of course, D302 is a great polish, but both the D300 compound and the D301 wax seem to have polishing oils. Indeed, all the compounds seem to contain some amount of polish, which is a good thing.

So, the point of this thread is to ask: How much are we doing real work leveling paint or protecting with "pure" wax, and how much are we relying on polishing oils in various products to give us the quicker wow-factor?? What I found using UC -> UP -> and GC was that it was all oil. UP and GC together are way overkill in terms of oils, I found. DAMF, by comparison, has no such overkill of oils, and the finish is entirely different. This is not a criticism of Meguiar's (or detailers), but really just a deeper question (on a discussion forum, no doubt) to help us all better understand the "why?"

Comment

What is DAMF ?

Comment

Originally posted by sunday joe View Post
                      What is DAMF ?
                      Dual Action Micro Fiber

Bill

Comment

i think pretty much everything has oils in it to be honest just a matter of how much

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');