• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Hasn't Meguiar's Introduced a Paint Coating Product Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Hasn't Meguiar's Introduced a Paint Coating Product Yet?

Originally posted by pcfxer View Post
    Meguiar's has just released Ultimate Fast Finish so that would be a coating product. To be honest though, Meguiar's #16 lasts for months (even through the salty crud of Canadian winters, lasts longer than Dodo Juice Super Natural) and Meguiar's Ultimate Wax lasts for a really long time as well on a properly prepared paint surface. If I didn't have 2 or 4 tins of #16 I'd try something else out lol.
    I actually have some UFF on the way to me now after trying unsuccessfully to find it in stores locally. It's the closest they have to a coating but I wouldn't say it qualifies as a coating. At least not in the way the term is used now. But I could be wrong.

I love #16 as well - just have one can so I'm kind of saving it for use on my vehicles.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by pcfxer View Post
      Meguiar's has just released Ultimate Fast Finish so that would be a coating product. To be honest though, Meguiar's #16 lasts for months (even through the salty crud of Canadian winters, lasts longer than Dodo Juice Super Natural) and Meguiar's Ultimate Wax lasts for a really long time as well on a properly prepared paint surface. If I didn't have 2 or 4 tins of #16 I'd try something else out lol.
      I have used UFF and coatings. UFF is close but it is not a coating. Still just a sealant. Let's see how long UFF holds up as I just used it on someone's daily driver.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

my "clean" black van is ""cleaner" with a coating then it is with a wax/sealant. Between multiple uses of NXT wax, GC wax, PP365, and D156...I wax my cars frequently. With just the wax application, they stay looking "clean" for 3-7 days depending on staying in the garage, and staying outside. Here in SoCal orange county, winds can pick up and layer pollen/dust/dirt on my freshly waxed/washed car leaving them "dirty". That is reduced with a coating. This is not talking about "protection" but more the appearance of cleanliness. I recently did a full paint correction and applied Opti-Gloss Coat. It continues to look like I just detailed it 2-weeks later. I wish I had some of those fancy new gloss readers to show how much gloss is being reflective from the paint. Now, "clean" is in the eye of the beholder as what is clean to my wife is not clean to me (that changes when we go inside the house, LOL).

Additionally, I still top my coating with wax (in part because im old school and like waxing). For me, the "protection" from added microns of coating thickness is a seller as robotic paint becomes thinner and multiple stages of clear becomes less (unless you want to pay someone $10K-$20K to paint your car with 5 layers of clear). The "cleaning" nature that a coating provides that wax/sealant does not, which again makes the car look clean. "Car Crazy" is not trying new things and continuing to try to be perfect and what works for YOU.

One thing that I hate about coatings...the cure time!. I can wax a car in 10-15 minutes and be done. With a coating I have to wait 1-12 hours before thinking about it getting wet or leaving the garage because of UV hardening/shrinking the covalent bonds.

At the end of the day, I want my car to look like it was just washed/waxed/detailed every hour of every day at all times. I am going to relentlessly try new products that give me that look. In 2 months, 2 years if my perception changes or if something new comes out that I want to try then by all means I will try it. I find it hysterical that people disagree and or argue about these things. When synthetic waxes came out, the same thing happened as Carnauba wax was the ONLY thing to ever use on paint. Synthetic wax gave a mirror like shine that was, well, synthetic. Carnauba wax gave the wet look that couldn't be matched

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          I have used UFF and coatings. UFF is close but it is not a coating. Still just a sealant. Let's see how long UFF holds up as I just used it on someone's daily driver.
          That's fair and is why I meant to say UFF is a "coating'ish".
          2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
          2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Coatings, something I haven't tried, although here at Meguiar's head office where I live, Deep Crystal Coating is sold.. I've always been curious about paint coatings. The paint protection it offers seems unreal, not that I don't believe in coatings. I have yet to try any paint coating, and unfortunately I may not be able to try it anymore or any time soon. I do have a lot (or too much waxes), so it more than makes up for not being able to try or not experiencing the protection offered by paint coatings. There are a few things that play in my mind when it comes to paint coatings. It seems or maybe the kind of care needed for waxes (natural or synthetic) is similar if not identical to the steps needed for coatings (car wash, instant detailers, spray waxes). I do like the idea of offering slightly better scratch resistance, ideal for dark colors, as for the shine, some don't seem to offer the same depth as traditional synthetic or carnauba waxes. Seems like it's like having 2 clearcoats on our cars. Instead of a wax/sealant on top of our clearcoat for protection, we have another clearcoat protecting the clearcoat of the car. It's hard to comprehend a paint coating outlasting the car's clear coat. It seems that to maximize the paint coating, we have to protect it as well. It seems like before, we protect the clear coat with sealant/wax, now we Protect the clear coat with coating, and maybe protect the paint coating with a coat of wax. In short, I prefer the more traditional, more frequent wax/sealant. I'm satisfied with shine and protection from Meguiar's waxes (and other brands as well).

Comment

... and still no response from Meguiar's. ??

Comment

Digging up, hoping Meguiar's does respond. Mabe they are working on a formula that works with existing products such as Ultimate wax and Gold Class. That way a person can have super long protection and scratch resistance. Though if they are crazy like us, they can still top it whenever and with whatever they want as long as it's Megs.

Comment

Originally posted by HCAD View Post
                  ... and still no response from Meguiar's. ??
                  In my opinion, the answer is simple.....why sell a product like a paint coating to a customer once, when you can sell multiple products, multiple times to him/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                    In my opinion, the answer is simple.....why sell a product like a paint coating to a customer once, when you can sell multiple products, multiple times to him/her.
                    That's certainly a reasonable answer Blue, but we haven't gotten that. Nothing! For or against. ??

Comment

If Meguiar's WAS working on a Coating, why would they want to post it online where their competitors would know about it in advance?

Keep them guessing.

Just a consideration.
                      Lydia's Mobile Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
                        If Meguiar's WAS working on a Coating, why would they want to post it online where their competitors would know about it in advance?

Keep them guessing.

Just a consideration.
                        I give that opinion some merit too Lydia. But here's my interest in the topic. This thread originated in June 2015!! In two years nothing has been acknowledged. I mean someone could have said, "We are considering it", or "We have no plans", or even "It's a secret!". But, we get nothing. It's one of those things that drives me crazy once I notice it. It's comical actually. I should let it go. Lol.

And as a side note, if Meguiar's was trying to keep it on the down low, the rest of the detailing industry has left them in the dust on this one. I don't think the competitors are looking their way.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. As good as they usually are with chipping in on everything on here, the silence makes you scratch your head.
                          Blueline, as much as I could agree with you, they do sell a coating ascross the big pond. Is it just not VOC compliant here in the states, or are they working on something that is completely new for here?
                          I didn't even know coatings existed until a couple of months ago. Now I would like to try one, and would have an easier time pulling the trigger if it had the Meguiar's name.

Comment

John, I think I get where you're coming from. Sometimes I argue things more on merit or on principle than on the actual problem itself.

Have you thought about PMing Mike Stoops or Nick? Just a thought...
                            Lydia's Mobile Detailing

Comment

If Meguiar's does ever come out with a coating I forsee it being available to the pro side of things and not so much the consumer side. Unless they do something like Optimum And CarPro where they offer two versions. One for pro and one available for the detailer line or mirror glaze line.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

The problem Meguiar's had with launching a coating in the U.S. market, was over water behavior.

Here in the states, water beading is what's construed as paint protection.

As far as paint care is concerned, water sheeting is a more ideal situation. The idea of the surface holding beads of water presents problems with water spotting. This is mitigated by allowing the water to pool off into sheets.

From what I understand from an AMMO NYC podcast anyways.

This is why we see Meguiar's offer so many products that feature long lasting, water beading properties.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');