Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Hasn't Meguiar's Introduced a Paint Coating Product Yet?

Registered Member

Re: Why Hasn't Meguiar's Introduced a Paint Coating Product Yet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I'm going to have to slightly disagree a bit. A coating preserves and protects. To me that fits in to the so called Meguiar's philosophy. It's the longest form of protection. Like everything else, coatings are not for everyone. The market for them is still growing. It may not be liked by everyone but coatings are becoming the future of paint protection. Enthusiast on a forum like this are a small number compared to the average consumer. A consumer hears long lasting protection with little maintenance and see's that as a huge benefit. Some coatings will even offer better scratch resistance. That is also seen as a plus.

I heard this analogy from Renny Doyle. He's right on point. Take two popsicle sticks. Place one in a Dixie cup fixed with 30ml of any good coating. Take the other and place it in a Dixie cup of the same 30ml of a sealant or wax. Allow both to dry for three days. Pull the popsicle stick out of the cup of coating. You will have a Plexiglas lollipop. That's what's on your car. Pull the popsicle stick out of the sealant or wax. You'll have a smeared, messy popsicle stick. Which would you want protecting your paint? Its a great selling prop to show prospective clients.

A coating is ideal for a daily driver. Also any swirls that will happen will be in the coating versus being in the paint. I must say after coating my dad's car, it's much easier to clean.

For someone who enters car shows then a coating is not for them. Stick with a wax or sealant.

Meguiar's made a huge leap with Paint Protect. That's as close to a coating as one can get. Hopefully this is the start of something that leads to an eventual coating. The market is ready for it.

The ability to pick and choose the right combination that works for the individual is the beauty of being "car crazy".
    IDK That popsicle stick thing is apples and oranges,A thin coat on paint is not the same as a popsicle stick with an inches thick coating, Use a paste wax on a 40 degree day and you will have a block of wax on your stick, so what? To me that analogy doesn't really make sense but that's just me

Registered Member

I do like the idea of a coating though especially if you've cut a significant amount of paint with UC or m105 ultra cutting compound

Pardon me for digging up an old thread, but while searching for an answer to the very question asked by the original poster, I come across this small thread with no response from Meguiar's personnel. Just curious about the position my favorite manufacture has to "coatings". I've been through the lengthy Paint Protect thread btw. Just haven't seen any news that Meg's is diving into the category of coatings.

I've wondered this also. I've never used a paint coating, and don't have an intention to at this point for a few reasons. At the risk of sounding like a "fangirl", I would be more likely to consider it if Meguiar's offered one.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I've wondered this also. I've never used a paint coating, and don't have an intention to at this point for a few reasons. At the risk of sounding like a "fangirl", I would be more likely to consider it if Meguiar's offered one.
    Meguiar's has just released Ultimate Fast Finish so that would be a coating product. To be honest though, Meguiar's #16 lasts for months (even through the salty crud of Canadian winters, lasts longer than Dodo Juice Super Natural) and Meguiar's Ultimate Wax lasts for a really long time as well on a properly prepared paint surface. If I didn't have 2 or 4 tins of #16 I'd try something else out lol.
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
    2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by pcfxer View Post
    Meguiar's has just released Ultimate Fast Finish so that would be a coating product. To be honest though, Meguiar's #16 lasts for months (even through the salty crud of Canadian winters, lasts longer than Dodo Juice Super Natural) and Meguiar's Ultimate Wax lasts for a really long time as well on a properly prepared paint surface. If I didn't have 2 or 4 tins of #16 I'd try something else out lol.
    I actually have some UFF on the way to me now after trying unsuccessfully to find it in stores locally. It's the closest they have to a coating but I wouldn't say it qualifies as a coating. At least not in the way the term is used now. But I could be wrong.

I love #16 as well - just have one can so I'm kind of saving it for use on my vehicles.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pcfxer View Post
    I have used UFF and coatings. UFF is close but it is not a coating. Still just a sealant. Let's see how long UFF holds up as I just used it on someone's daily driver.

Registered Member

my "clean" black van is ""cleaner" with a coating then it is with a wax/sealant. Between multiple uses of NXT wax, GC wax, PP365, and D156...I wax my cars frequently. With just the wax application, they stay looking "clean" for 3-7 days depending on staying in the garage, and staying outside. Here in SoCal orange county, winds can pick up and layer pollen/dust/dirt on my freshly waxed/washed car leaving them "dirty". That is reduced with a coating. This is not talking about "protection" but more the appearance of cleanliness. I recently did a full paint correction and applied Opti-Gloss Coat. It continues to look like I just detailed it 2-weeks later. I wish I had some of those fancy new gloss readers to show how much gloss is being reflective from the paint. Now, "clean" is in the eye of the beholder as what is clean to my wife is not clean to me (that changes when we go inside the house, LOL).

Additionally, I still top my coating with wax (in part because im old school and like waxing). For me, the "protection" from added microns of coating thickness is a seller as robotic paint becomes thinner and multiple stages of clear becomes less (unless you want to pay someone $10K-$20K to paint your car with 5 layers of clear). The "cleaning" nature that a coating provides that wax/sealant does not, which again makes the car look clean. "Car Crazy" is not trying new things and continuing to try to be perfect and what works for YOU.

One thing that I hate about coatings...the cure time!. I can wax a car in 10-15 minutes and be done. With a coating I have to wait 1-12 hours before thinking about it getting wet or leaving the garage because of UV hardening/shrinking the covalent bonds.

At the end of the day, I want my car to look like it was just washed/waxed/detailed every hour of every day at all times. I am going to relentlessly try new products that give me that look. In 2 months, 2 years if my perception changes or if something new comes out that I want to try then by all means I will try it. I find it hysterical that people disagree and or argue about these things. When synthetic waxes came out, the same thing happened as Carnauba wax was the ONLY thing to ever use on paint. Synthetic wax gave a mirror like shine that was, well, synthetic. Carnauba wax gave the wet look that couldn't be matched

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have used UFF and coatings. UFF is close but it is not a coating. Still just a sealant. Let's see how long UFF holds up as I just used it on someone's daily driver.
    That's fair and is why I meant to say UFF is a "coating'ish".
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
    2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Coatings, something I haven't tried, although here at Meguiar's head office where I live, Deep Crystal Coating is sold.. I've always been curious about paint coatings. The paint protection it offers seems unreal, not that I don't believe in coatings. I have yet to try any paint coating, and unfortunately I may not be able to try it anymore or any time soon. I do have a lot (or too much waxes), so it more than makes up for not being able to try or not experiencing the protection offered by paint coatings. There are a few things that play in my mind when it comes to paint coatings. It seems or maybe the kind of care needed for waxes (natural or synthetic) is similar if not identical to the steps needed for coatings (car wash, instant detailers, spray waxes). I do like the idea of offering slightly better scratch resistance, ideal for dark colors, as for the shine, some don't seem to offer the same depth as traditional synthetic or carnauba waxes. Seems like it's like having 2 clearcoats on our cars. Instead of a wax/sealant on top of our clearcoat for protection, we have another clearcoat protecting the clearcoat of the car. It's hard to comprehend a paint coating outlasting the car's clear coat. It seems that to maximize the paint coating, we have to protect it as well. It seems like before, we protect the clear coat with sealant/wax, now we Protect the clear coat with coating, and maybe protect the paint coating with a coat of wax. In short, I prefer the more traditional, more frequent wax/sealant. I'm satisfied with shine and protection from Meguiar's waxes (and other brands as well).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information