• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Tip For Using Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Tip For Using Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

I have a 2014 car with black nappa leather seating. It is less than one year old now. The center panels are perforated for cooling. The left and right panels as well as the sides of each seat are solid nappa leather. Today is the first time I have used a conditioner on these seats. Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner in the pump bottle is the product of choice. It's also the first time I have ever dressed "nappa" leather. This leather is softer than most other leathers I've seen and has a sort of open, almost porous look and feel to it.

I had two concerns:
    1. Don't get product in the perforation holes.
    2. How will the nappa leather respond to the GCRLCC?

I watched a couple of Meg's How To videos regarding leather. One video recommended using the spray version of conditioner to avoid "pushing product into the perforations. Too late, I already have the pump bottle (which I prefer anyway since I always use an applicator pad when detailing the interior). Application of the product is better controlled that way. I am using a foam applicator pad because the seats are quite clean and don't need the additional texture or aggressiveness cleaning ability of a MF pad.

Getting to the point...
    I found the best way to apply GCRLCC to these perforated seats is to:
    • Pump about a 1 inch line of product onto the applicator pad
    • Lightly wipe the bulk of the product onto the solid seat panel but don't work it in yet. Leave the pad still wet with product.
    • Using the wet applicator, start lightly wiping the pad over surface of the perforated leather.
    • Then once the perforated panel is wet, the pad will be more or less free of product and you can start rubbing the product into the leather without fear of your perforations getting filled in.
    • Go back to your solid panel that you just wiped the bulk of the product on previously and start to spread it out and work it into the leather.
    • Once the seat back was done, I wiped any excess with a MF towel.
    • Then I repeated all of the above for the seat bottom (or seat seat).

After completing the first seat, concern #1 was no longer a concern and I continued on. There were NO issues with applying GCRLCC onto the perforated panels. No sign of product in the holes.

About concern #2...
    With this being the first time dressing nappa leather, of course I did a small test area first. I was worried that nappa leather would soak up the product like a sponge and it would not spread out as expected. No fear! The nappa leather took the GCRLCC like a champ. The one inch dollop of GCRLCC easily spread out over this leather. I may say it absorbed the dressing a little bit more than more glossy, treated leathers.

The result, Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner deepened/darkened the black leather(sort of like the way Gold Class Liquid Wax deepens black paint). It left NO slippery or greasy feeling on the leather. It did NOT add any gloss to this leather. I completed all of the car's seating in about 45 minutes. Whew! Not knowing what to expect, I'm very happy with the result. It looks terrific!

Re: My Tip For Using Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

This is a useful post to me. I have this product & haven't used it on my perf seats because of the same quandry you had. I remember Stoops once said the foam version works well without any worries about clogging the perfs. Anyway, I'll use your method, carefully. It'll be a relief to get my light gray stone colored seats clean.

Comment

Great tips, Coach! I don't have perforation holes, but I do use GCRL and prefer it over Lexol. It's also fine for non-leather surfaces, too, btw. My car has some lizard-skin grooved leather-ish material (dash, doors) which is unlikely to be natural leather, but GCRL works great on it.
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

To add to this. If you are using a foam or microfiber applicator, work the product into the applicator either with your finger or gold the pad onto itself. That will allow the product to be on the applicator. Then apply to the leather. You will avoid getting into the perforations.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

All good information. My Lexus has tan leather and I have been using GCRLCC with good results with out that greasy "Aramor All" feel and look. Thumbs up for GCRLCC.

Comment

I have leather seats in my car as well and I saw this product in the store, but I wasn't sure how well it would work out. The one thing that I am always worried about is that greasy feeling that you get with other leather cleaning products. Thanks for the tip.
            AutoAuctionMall - online vehicle auctions

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');