• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quik Wax Light Holograms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quik Wax Light Holograms

Hi guys, I recently purchased a brand new black 2015 Sonata. I won't have time to do a full wax for another month so I decided to do a treatment of Quik Wax. I recently ran it through a brushless car wash and after a couple of days of rain, I cleaned I with Meguiars Wash & Wax Anywhere. Later that day I di a quick application with the Ultimate Quick Wax and it looked great.

That was a couple of days ago, there’s been a lot of pollen floating around the last couple of days but when I went out to my car this morning I noticed what looked like holograms at certain angles on the door. I did a quick mist and wipe with quick detailer and lightly buffed and the holograms seemed to move as I wiped and with a little more pressure disappeared.

Could this be from an over-application of quick wax? Is there any harm in using this method to correct it?

This is with microfiber towels.

Thank you.

Re: Quik Wax Light Holograms

Yes, in my experience with Gold Class QW. These are great products, but need to be applied and buffed with care, differently from Quick Detailer. At least with GC QW, it is very easy to overdo it, spraying too much, and so it can smear. I have to buff it out carefully, but then when humidity hits, say overnight, I can often see wipe holograms that just weren't there before. Generally this means more wiping, and over time, can mean a worse buildup of QW residue. So, I try to spray from farther away to create more of a mist, and then spread the product farther, using the wax buildup on the rag to advantage.

Hope that helps
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
      Yes, in my experience with Gold Class QW. These are great products, but need to be applied and buffed with care, differently from Quick Detailer. At least with GC QW, it is very easy to overdo it, spraying too much, and so it can smear. I have to buff it out carefully, but then when humidity hits, say overnight, I can often see wipe holograms that just weren't there before. Generally this means more wiping, and over time, can mean a worse buildup of QW residue. So, I try to spray from farther away to create more of a mist, and then spread the product farther, using the wax buildup on the rag to advantage.

Hope that helps
      That definitely does help, thanks.

I’ve used quick spray waxes before but never experienced this. This one seems to be a little “greasier” than others and I must have over applied. So I’ll do a quick light mist with the detailer and buff out whatever holograms I see.

Comment

Sounds like you used too much product and you did not remove all of it. A quick detailer is meant for light dust removal. I would be careful when removing that pollen. If it is a thick layer you are better off using something that has more lubrication such as ultimate wash & wax anywhere, D114 or D115.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Like they said, it's just over application, not a surface defect-nothing harmful. I get it once in a while too when waxing or using a quik wax (Ult Paste and Ult Quik Wax) .sometimes a LIGHT application of Ult Quik Detailer will remove the worst of the smears and the light smears have "melted away" by the heat of the sun
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

You did a wash and wax already. I'm not sure you needed a quick wax. Fwiw I've found quick wax works just fine for maintenance cleans.

Sorry didn't notice the date

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');