• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clayed my car paint still gritty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clayed my car paint still gritty

Hey peeps so about two weeks ago I clayed my car and did all the proper steps polish wax etc and tonight I went back after wiping with gold class detailer and found my hood to be gritty again. I did the baggie test and failed. It feels like I never clayed it and then I tried a few other panels around the car and same thing gritty like as if I never clayed it. What's going on here?

Thanks

2001 Audi A6 2.8 Avant quattro ming blue pearl metallic (dark blue)
    2001 Audi A6 Avant (wagon)
    Ming Blue Pearl Effect metallic

2019 Nissan Sentra SV Special Edition
    Super Black

Re: Clayed my car paint still gritty

So was it gritty like that when you finished claying / polishing?
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
      So was it gritty like that when you finished claying / polishing?
      no the clay bar glided over the surface after a few passes. I don't understand how my surface got like this so fast

Super Black

Comment

So it was smooth prior to polishing and sealing?

It doesn't take long for surface contaminants to develop especially in industrial areas.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

It can happen, depending on where the car was parked etc.

Might be overspray from somewhere, or fallout... who knows..

But did you do the baggie test after you clayed? You may think it was smooth (or smoother) after claying but not known it was still rough with the baggie...
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post

It doesn't take long for surface contaminants to develop especially in industrial areas.

But did you do the baggie test after you clayed? You may think it was smooth (or smoother) after claying but not known it was still rough with the baggie...
            yes it was smooth after the clay but I didn't do the baggie test. Idk if this has anything to do but a couple of mornings after i clayed and sealed the car it was sprayed with some white pesticide from an agricultural machine that was spraying the pear orchard out in the back of my house and actually it has been sprayed 3 times after that.

Super Black

Comment

Did you pick up a noticeable and visible ammount of contaminants when you innitially clayed? [did you constantly need to nead the clay to make it ready to use again]

Did you do another baggie test right after you clayed the car? [prior to waxing]
              How many times have you washed/quik detailed the car since waxing it 2 weeks ago?
              What do you use to clean the windows on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                Did you pick up a noticeable and visible ammount of contaminants when you innitially clayed? [did you constantly need to nead the clay to make it ready to use again]

Did you do another baggie test right after you clayed the car? [prior to waxing]
                How many times have you washed/quik detailed the car since waxing it 2 weeks ago?
                What do you use to clean the windows on the car?
                I basically quick detail the car on a daily basis using gold class quick detailer

Super Black

Comment

Originally posted by audi_nicoya209 View Post
                  yes it was smooth after the clay but I didn't do the baggie test. Idk if this has anything to do but a couple of mornings after i clayed and sealed the car it was sprayed with some white pesticide from an agricultural machine that was spraying the pear orchard out in the back of my house and actually it has been sprayed 3 times after that.
                  Well, that could well be the culprit (pesticide spray), but my bet is it was still a bit gritty after you clayed, but you couldn't tell without doing the baggie test.

Comment

Well, that could well be the culprit (pesticide spray), but my bet is it was still a bit gritty after you clayed, but you couldn't tell without doing the baggie test.
                    yaa I have a feeling it's that pesticide spray too I heard it has a bit of sulfur in it 😮 I guess it's time to reclay again

Super Black

Comment

Be sure to add some type of protection after you clay.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I always use ultimate liquid wax after ward

Super Black

Comment

Originally posted by audi_nicoya209 View Post
                          yaa I have a feeling it's that pesticide spray too I heard it has a bit of sulfur in it �� I guess it's time to reclay again
                          When you do, you might want to baggie test the surface to see how it feels. That way you can choose to do it again, or use a more aggressive clay if needed. You can also try to compare it to what it may feel like in the future when you baggie test the surface again.

Comment

My 1st thought also thinks it might be the pesticide. But I can't help but wonder how 14 quik details affects the LSP. It's something I've always thought about.

Comment

And do another baggie test to confirm that your claying process did a good decon
                              See Kevin's '03 PT Cruiser GT here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477590

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');