• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanding Rusted Rock Chip Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding Rusted Rock Chip Areas

Okay, I'll admit I should have started fixing some of the rock ships before they rusted but I didn't. So now that the weather around here is warming up and I've ordered some chip repair supplies I need some help on where to get or how to make small sanders so I don't take down lots of the surrounding good finish. I've tried the fiberglass pen from Eastwood but it won't take the rust all the way down to bare metal. All the chips are the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. Or should I just sand away any loose rust and then use a product like Eastwoods rust encapsulator or POR-15 on the chip before using the chip repair paints? I've used POR-15 before but only for large areas on a junker vehicle.
    Last edited by richlich; Apr 14, 2015, 10:07 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Re: Sanding Rusted Rock Chip Areas

IMO, you're on the right track using a rust treatment, rather than trying to remove every trace of rust. My choice would be to use a converter product, like Eastwood or SEM rust converter to neutralize the rust, as well as acting as a primer. Both are easy to use and durable when topcoated. POR-15, IMO, is not a good choice for this application. It doesn't bond well with topcoats without using their primer first. Eastwood's RE accepts topcoats well, but is a bit thicker, which may be unsuitable for small spots. KBS Rust Seal flows like POR-15, but accepts topcoats well. I've used every product I've mentioned on my vehicles, so I'm speaking from my own experiences. The coating products are likely overkill for your situation.

Bill

Comment

Re: Sanding Rusted Rock Chip Areas

Thank you, BillyJack. I really would hate to try sanding all the rust out of every chip. Have some scratches, too, but they are mostly in the clear coat only.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');