• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new member from PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member from PA

Hey all,

Sorry mods, this is my second post. Anyway, new member from PA. Newbie hobbyist at best, just a guy who wants to keep his cars looking nice and protected. I'm an engineer (metallurgist) by trade. And as an engineer, I tend to over-research everything. Googling detailing info is what brought me here, and I've learned a lot from you guys. I thought I should contribute where I can.

I live in SE PA. I have no garage, so all work is in the driveway. 2 young kids, so time is limited (though the detailing bug is partially because my other hobbies have been nixed, but I can do this at home, so its a break from the kids but still available if needed). My car is a 2014 Subaru Outback (Venetian Red) and I also take care of a somewhat neglected 2010 Subaru Forester (carbide gray).

Grew up being taught to wash & wax, and I didn't keep up with that on the Forester, leading to some perhaps permanent damage. When we bought the Outback I vowed to do better, and last fall I clayed both cars and looked for a long lasting wax (Ultimate Liquid) prior to winter. Also went all microfiber and 2 bucket was metho. This spring I clayed the OB again and also bought the DA power system and polished the Outback to get rid of some swirls, followed by another waxing. For the Forester I just washed and waxed to hold it over for a while, and I intend to slowly compound and polish throughout the summer to try to repair that a bit. That's partially why I joined as it's a "project" and I'll have questions.

Anyway, here's my spring detail on the OB.

Wash (Rain-X brand till it runs out)
    Clay (Megs with quick detailer)
    Polish (Ultimate polish, Megs DA Power System on a corded drill, yellow pad)
    Seal (Ultimate Liquid Wax, did the hood with DA black pad, but found the rest easier by hand)

Last weekend of March. Temp started a 33 F (turned the hose on as soon as above freezing), was 50ish by polish & wax time. Total 8 hrs. Snow still on ground in background.
    Last edited by pcray1231; Apr 14, 2015, 07:42 AM. Reason: trying to add pics

Re: new member from PA

Trying to add pics. Is there a better way?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/pcray1231/Subaru/NCM_0195_web_zpspts8erfl.jpg

Comment

Re: new member from PA

Lets try this again (browser-site issues, tried a different browser).

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');