• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time clay baring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First time clay baring

Ok all. I ordered my stuff. I got a new backing plate, new wrench for the Porter cable, 10 new pads of various uses, (cutting, polishing, and waxing) a pad brush, 2 grit guards which I have been unable to find in brick and mortar stores near me, a pack of plastic compression washers that go between the pads and backing plate in case I need em, and a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and Ultimate compound. I don't think I need the UC yet. Now I just gotta wait till they show up. They wanted more than $40.00 shipping if I wanted them in 2 days!!! Which is totally crazy. So I'll just have to wait for UPS. BUT I did use a coupon code from retailmenot.com that saved me $32.00. So that's a win. I just want my order NOW! I have never been good at waiting.

Thanks everyone
    Mike
    Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and somebody yells SHUTUP!!

Comment

Great, let us know how you go!
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Well I finally got a big box in the mail today. That took a while in my mind anyway. But now I am lucky to have 4 days of bad weather ahead. Oh well just my luck. I can't wait to get to it.

Mike

Comment

Great.

You don't have a garage to work in?
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Sadly no. I have no garage. At least not one big enough to work around the car in. I am going to research how I should "prime" my new pads. But I was wondering if anyone had some personal tips on what to do and what a properly primed pad should look/feel like. Also when i get to the waxing stage. Can I use my Ultimate Paste wax with my PorterCable? I'm thinking I can pop the wax out of its can and apply it to the pad that way. Is that something I should do?

thank you all for all the info. I know I'm asking a LOT in this thread and it's been a long time. But I finally have all my supplies and time and weather. Lol

Mike

Comment

No worries at all.

Watching a few videos on how to prime your pad will give you a good idea what to do.

As far as the paste wax, yes you can use it with a DA. You either use a pad small enough to fit in the tin, or you can use a spatula / butter knife etc to get the wax out of the tin and spread on your pad. Pretty much like spreading butter on toast.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks Davey. I checked the weather tomorrow and it's gonna be 80 and overcast. No direct sunlight and I have off tomorrow. So FINALLY a spa day for my car. Lol

Comment

Awesome. Let us know if you have any questions along the way...

Comment

Wow it's a lot of fun doing this stuff. I got to use all my new toys today. I washed, then clay bared my whole car. Then started to polish it. I don't know if I'm just really slow cause it was my first time using a DA or because it is MY actual car or my need for perfection, but it takes. Long time. I got the hood, roof, and deck lid polished and so far it looks GREAT! Of course a thunderstorm shut me down for the night. THIS TIME THE RAIN REALLY PISSED ME OFF!

My my question is tomorrow when I goto finish polishing then waxing my car, do I have to re-wash and re-bar the whole car? Or can I just re-wash it? Any help or advise is totally needed as I sit here pissed at the sound of the pouring rain. Lol

thanks
                    Mike

Comment

Just re-wash it and you'll be fine.

Don't worry, it's normal for it to take a while - especially for a first timer. What product/pad did you end up using?

Comment

I used lake country white pad with Meguiar's ultimate polish. And for waxing I will use lake country black pad with Meguiar's ultimate paste wax. Also do I just use the DA to apply the wax and hand buff. Or is there a way I can do it all with the DA.

THANKS
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Havinfun75 View Post
                          I used lake country white pad with Meguiar's ultimate polish. And for waxing I will use lake country black pad with Meguiar's ultimate paste wax. Also do I just use the DA to apply the wax and hand buff. Or is there a way I can do it all with the DA.

THANKS
                          Mike

To remove the wax with the PC, you'll need one or two microfiber bonnets that fit over your pads (think shower cap). But in all honesty, it's so easy to remove the cured wax by hand that using the PC and the MF bonnets are actually MORE work.
                          Don
                          12/27/2015
                          "Darth Camaro"
                          2013 Camaro ... triple black
                          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                            I may be a little late to add my opinion. but here goes. I like to use Meguiars cleaner wax after I clay my vehicle. Then I apply a second coat of wax my choice. I believe by doing it this way you remove all residue and give yourself the cleanest paint possible. Then when you apply the wax of your choice, you are going to achieve the best results in terms of gloss, smoothness and reflectivity.
                            If you are using the cleaner wax...is it really necessary to clay bar it first? Why not just a regular wash? Doesn't the Cleaner Wax (which i love BTW) remove as much as the clay bar?

Comment

Originally posted by briarpatch View Post
                              If you are using the cleaner wax...is it really necessary to clay bar it first? Why not just a regular wash? Doesn't the Cleaner Wax (which i love BTW) remove as much as the clay bar?
                              No, the cleaner wax will remove stuck on dirt and some contaminates, but not embedded particles. Clay actually grabs the particles and pulls them from the paint.
                              Don
                              12/27/2015
                              "Darth Camaro"
                              2013 Camaro ... triple black
                              323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                                No, the cleaner wax will remove stuck on dirt and some contaminates, but not embedded particles. Clay actually grabs the particles and pulls them from the paint.
                                thank you......I learn something new every day on this forum

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');