• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time clay baring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time clay baring

Hello all. Today I stepped into the world of using a clay bar for the first time. I used Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. It comes with 2 80 gram clay bars and Quik Detailer and a Supreme shine Microfiber towel. After much and I mean much research online I was ready to start.

First off I am so glad it came with two bars. I read that if the bar falls on the ground to throw it away. Well I barely finished my first section of my first panel and it fell from my hand onto my driveway picking up dirt and very small loose pebbles. Lol. Anyway I was amazed how easy and fast it was to finish my car. And the results were incredible. It really is easy to feel the clay do its work and know when to move on. I was amazed on how many contaminants the clay picked up as well as how much smoother my car surface feels. I mean the car is only 2 months old and had been on the lot for only a week. This being my first time I think I used too much Quik Detailer. I used over half the bottle on the car. But better to be safe then sorry.

Anyway this post has gotten way too long. But basically I wanted to say that I am very impressed with Meguiar's products so far and to anyone considering Clay Baring thier car, do it. It is so easy and you can't argue with the results.

Mike
    Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and somebody yells SHUTUP!!

Yes the results are amazing and itis truely that easy that there's really no learning curve. I'm glad to see how impressed u are with it. And I agree that meguiars products do make the jobs easier with outstanding results compared to other detailing products. My 1st product that made me a huge fan of their products was the soap. Followed by ulw.

Comment

Re: First time clay baring

Even though the sun was setting I could not resist throwing some wax on it. I was only able to do the hood before it got too dark. Lol. I do have a quick question. I am using Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. So far I love it as well. The hood is now incredibly smooth and reflective. But I have a white car! I am finding it very difficult to see if I have put a even coat on the car as well as when it is "dry" and ready to buff off. Any suggestions??

Mike

Comment

You don't need to be using a whole clay bar at a time. You should break up each clay bar into several pieces and store the rest in an airtight container.

That way if/when you drop it, you won't be throwing so much away
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I think even with the thin film tech from ultimate wax and on light colored vehicles, you should just be able to see it. Or find a different angle where you you'll be able to see the applied wax.

Comment

Thanks Davy. That makes PERFECT sense (cutting up the clay) and I can't believe I didn't do or think about that. Even if I just cut each 80 gram bar in half I would make the 2 bars 4 and dropping one would be no big deal.

And to ffboy, your prob right. I know I was being too impatient with the sun setting and all but after claying my car I just HAD to try the wax. I bet that tomorrow, weather permitting, and actual sun light I will have no problems. Thank you all for the fast reply. I am so liking this forum.

Mike

Comment

I enjoyed reading this post. It's always great to hear peoples 1st experiences with next level car care products/methods

Comment

Originally posted by Havinfun75 View Post
                Even though the sun was setting I could not resist throwing some wax on it. I was only able to do the hood before it got too dark. Lol. I do have a quick question. I am using Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. So far I love it as well. The hood is now incredibly smooth and reflective. But I have a white car! I am finding it very difficult to see if I have put a even coat on the car as well as when it is "dry" and ready to buff off. Any suggestions??

Mike

Glad you got into the clay...

Two things that will make it even better for you:
                ONE
                1. Save your Detailing Spray that came with the clay kit to use as a waterless wash (get yourself plenty of microfibers and fold them in quarters - remove the tag)
                2. When claying use soapy water for the lubricant if doing a large area. I.e. Normal wash then mix up fresh soapy water and use it for the clay lube... you will save a ton of $$$ and quite honestly that 16oz bottle of detailing spray is not likely enough to clay but maybe one car at most!

TWO
                1. Get a GOOD headlamp. I like the Fenix HP01, which uses two AA batteries. It is plenty to work in pitch black... puts the light where you are looking!

Here is a screenshot of the HP01... Oh, and it is only $50... As you can see it is PLENTY of light! (It is the bottom picture)

I have used mine camping (setting up tent), cooking while camping, night hiking, crawling through the attic, crawling in the crawlspace of my home to deal with some wiring issues, and in a rather large server room with florescent lighting failure. It is MUCH better than a traditional flashlight.

Comment

Welcome to MOL. It's hard to see any wax on white. I know as I have a white car as well. The best advice I can give you is to apply thin in straight lines evenly across the panel you are working on. You are going to have to move your head at various angles to catch the light at just the right angle. Same when you are removing any wax.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Havinfun75 View Post

Mike

This is probably the only reason a Meguiars rep (and most detailers) will tell you to put 2 (or more) coats of wax on the car ... to ensure you covered the entire painted surface with wax. Just take your time and pay attention to where you're putting the wax and you'll be fine.
                    Don
                    12/27/2015
                    "Darth Camaro"
                    2013 Camaro ... triple black
                    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Hi OP, i really enjoyed claying my car for the first time. Made such a difference.. My recommendation is get the ULW, and then you can not worry about applying a little on the trim. Makes waxing a car far more enjoyable. Also you only need a very thin line.. Actually you can get away with an oz to do an entire car. Keep that in mind.. No doubt you'll probably put too much on the first time you do it. Its just a waste. All you need is a very thin sheet of wax.

Comment

Thank you everyone!!!!! All this info will defentally help me. It really is amazing how much fun this is. I "thought" I was keeping care of my cars until I joined this place. I have done hours of reading on here in just a few days and what I was doing before could not be called washing or car care. Lol. The crazy thing is this is almost like therapy for me. I kinda ZEN out and totally clear my mind while I am washing, waxing, Claying or keeping the inside clean. I am totally surprised how much I enjoy this and want to learn as much as possible. And as a side effect my car looks incredible and rain, dirt, road cancers (lol) even that wonderful present bird poop does not stand a chance sticking to my car now..

thank EVERYONE
                        Mike

Comment

We're all addicts here so welcome to the club. We all started like u. Just wait and pretty soon u will be buying more tools and products as it makes the job easier. U have officially been bitten by the bug.

Comment

Hello again all. This question is gonna be a little off topic as is has nothing to do with claying but here it goes. I just looked at my car in the light. Of course it's raining after what I did yesterday. Lol. But I noticed the plactic parts that join up with the metal panels are a slightly different color.. All waxes including the ultimate paste wax I am using say to keep off pours materials and plactic surfaces. The plactic I'm talking about feel smooth and sorta shiny. Is this still to be avoided with the wax? Or because it is smooth and clear coated will the wax work? Any help will be greatly welcomed!

Mike

Comment

Do you have a photo of what you're talking about?

Generally, the shiny black plastic is fine to be waxed. It's the textured, "porous" type of black plastic that you should keep wax off. Even then, if any wax gets on there it's fine if you wipe it off straight away.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you didn't completely buff the wax off in those areas?
                              Originally posted by Blueline
                              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');