• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D114 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D114 questions

Lately I've been spraying D156 on the remaining rinseless on a panel and using it as a drying agent that way. Less work and it minimizes streaking.

As Mike said work 1 panel at a time using GDWM.
    Last edited by DasBurninator; Apr 15, 2015, 12:04 PM. Reason: Too soon jr

Comment

Update: I just did a waterless on the Kia with D115 at 1:6 and I finally had my wow moment with it.. D114 works well on a maintained vehicle. D115 works Better.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
        I work on one panel at a time. I will pre-soak a panel with the remaining solution I have stored in a pump sprayer and then come back with my rinseless towel and wipe that panel. Then dry and lightly buff. I will often come back with detail spray (M135) to remove any remaining residue or D156.
        That seems like a nice way to work. If you were going to use a "drying tool," how do you go about it? I think the rinseless method will likely be different. In a traditional method, I believe people spray a QD or some other product on a wet car and then dry it. One more question: Does the smell left by the interior detailer last for a long time? Does it go away totally after a while? Thanks.

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
        Lately I've been spraying D156 on the remaining rinseless on a panel and using it as a drying agent that way. Less work and it minimizes streaking.

As Mike said work 1 panel at a time using GDWM.
        Very nice. So after you clean the panel, just apply the product and then dry it off. Thanks.

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
        Update: I just did a waterless on the Kia with D115 at 1:6 and I finally had my wow moment with it.. D114 works well on a maintained vehicle. D115 works Better.
        Good to know. Thanks for providing your experience. Seems like a great product.

Comment

Originally posted by Nav45 View Post
          That seems like a nice way to work. If you were going to use a "drying tool," how do you go about it? I think the rinseless method will likely be different. In a traditional method, I believe people spray a QD or some other product on a wet car and then dry it. One more question: Does the smell left by the interior detailer last for a long time? Does it go away totally after a while? Thanks.
          To use D156 as a drying aid, you would rinse as much water off the surface after you complete your wash and then spray it while the panel is still a little wet. You will dry and seal at the same time. Two towels come in handy. One to dry and one to buff.

The smell from QID doesn't linger too long. It goes away. At most maybe a day or less.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

To use D156 as a drying aid, you would rinse as much water off the surface after you complete your wash and then spray it while the panel is still a little wet. You will dry and seal at the same time. Two towels come in handy. One to dry and one to buff.

The smell from QID doesn't linger too long. It goes away. At most maybe a day or less.
            You were right! I used the interior detailer yesterday and while the smell was there for a while, it is almost gone today. Appreciate the tips. Thank you Guz!

Question: Will using D114 alone be good to remove wax or does one need to use an IPA-like product as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Nav45 View Post
              Question: Will using D114 alone be good to remove wax or does one need to use an IPA-like product as well?
              It will depend on the wax and how you use the D114. At around 6:1 it can strip an LSP that has been on a while. But at 128:1 it shouldn't strip anything.
              If you want to completely remove an LSP you would need to do a strip wash, IPA wipedown, or polish.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-erhorn View Post
                I recently just bought D114 for use as a waterless wash and its quickly grown on me. I use it a 1:128 on everything from paint, interior, windows, wheels, engine bay, etc. I was initially worried as it felt significantly "thinner" than other WW like UWW+ or Pinnacle. But those fears have gone away as I see how well it lifts dirt from the surface and how nice and scratch free it leaves the surface.
                Meguiar's really outdid themselves with D114 and D115. They put testing through the ringer for 3 years before they went to market with it. Im still impressed with it 3 years later! GREAT stuff, and it smells like Hawaiian Punch! (D114 that is)
                Christopher Brown | OCDCarCare Los Angeles - Auto Detailing Services & Training Courses
                OCDCarCare.com | FACEBOOK| Detailing Article Archive | INSTAGRAM
                2013 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, 2015 SEMA Car Crazy Corral

Comment

I've just bought myself a gallon of the stuff. What is the dilution ratio if you want to use it as clay lube? Also if you want to use it as an interior cleaner, what should the dilution ratio be?

Not sure i'll ever really need it for a rinseless or waterless wash, given i have no water restrictions and i also have D115 at my disposal.

I know at 6:1 it can be used to strip old wax, to give you a clean base to work on. So i'll make a sprayer up of 6:1

Looking for other suggestions on what to do with it.. Such as QD, what ratio do they recommend if you're using it as a QD ?

Comment

Don't ever say never to using it as a rinseless. Give it a shot. It's well worth it. Save your left over rinseless and use it as a waterless wash.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

@thedoc46. I use it at 1:128 for claylube and quik detailer. As far as interior detailer, I like to grab a towel from my rinseless bucket and wring it out to do a wipedown. The dillution in my rinseless bucket is also at 1:128.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                        @thedoc46. I use it at 1:128 for claylube and quik detailer. As far as interior detailer, I like to grab a towel from my rinseless bucket and wring it out to do a wipedown. The dillution in my rinseless bucket is also at 1:128.
                        Thanks, so that means just use 1/4 oz per 32oz sprayer. Wow this stuff is going to last forever !

Comment

Don't ever say never to using it as a rinseless. Give it a shot. It's well worth it. Save your left over rinseless and use it as a waterless wash.
                          I'll give it a shot, my gripe with rinseless is the amount of microfibers that need to be used in the process. Doesn't it negate the water conservation in that they'll need to be thrown in the washing machine afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by thedoc46 View Post
                            my gripe with rinseless is the amount of microfibers that need to be used in the process. Doesn't it negate the water conservation in that they'll need to be thrown in the washing machine afterwards
                            Good point.
                            Originally posted by Blueline
                            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by thedoc46 View Post
                              I'll give it a shot, my gripe with rinseless is the amount of microfibers that need to be used in the process. Doesn't it negate the water conservation in that they'll need to be thrown in the washing machine afterwards
                              I guess if you didn't wait until you had a full load of towels. But I wait until I have a full hamper of towels before I wash them.
                              There are other methods to use rinseless washes too, like using megs microfiber wash mitt.

Comment

I find myself wanting to rinse the dirt off my towels after a rinseless/waterless wash. Something about letting so much dirt settle on my good towels bugs me. Plus D114/D115 rinses dirt off the wash media so easily.

Sort of defeats the purpose of conserving water, but I can't help myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');