• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional protection for the paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional protection for the paint job

What would be the best way to increase protection for a car’s paint? When I wash, I always see a lot of beading of the water. But I’m aware that after buffing, the wax is only a thin layer. I’m not worried about increasing or prolonging a shine, so much as just keeping the paint as protected as possible against the elements (I live in a desert, and the car is parked outdoors).

So what would be the best way for someone who doesn’t have any special tools, to provide additional protection?
    1. Wax more often
    2. Apply a second coat of wax, after the first coat has been applied and then buffed
    3. Apply another substance (keep in mind I don’t have any polishing equipment) after or before the wax?

For what it’s worth, I’m using the Gold Class soap, and the Ultimate Liquid wax.

Re: Additional protection for the paint job

The best way to keep your paint protected is routine maintenance. Frequent, proper washing, keeping a good coat of wax on the car. Touch the car as little as possible unless you're actually working on it. Basically common sense stuff.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

You will probably need to do all 3 things you have listed there. Some ultimate quik wax would be a good thing to have to use for maintenance. Not only will it add some shine but it will extended the life of ultimate wax until you are ready to reapply another coat.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I just thought of applying a wash and wax, like this one: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...e-wash-and-wax.

Would it add any additional protection if I were to use this wash and wax before applying the Ultimate Liquid Wax? Or would I be basically wasting my money--should I reserve it for the times when I won't be waxing separately?

Also--how would the Ultimate Wash and Wax compare to the Quick Wax? Would the Quick Wax be a lot better (than the wash and wax) when I'm not using the stand alone Ultimate Liquid Wax?

Comment

I say stay with ur gold class soap on the days u go to wash, wax and so on. And in between ur waxings use the ultimate washand wax soap and dry with ultimate quick wax as ur maintainance. This will give u good booster till the next wax session.

Comment

^^^ This is what I would do. The wax in ult. wash & wax is not as durable as ultimate quik wax or ultimate wax. It will just give you that freshly waxed look.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
              ^^^ This is what I would do. The wax in ult. wash & wax is not as durable as ultimate quik wax or ultimate wax. It will just give you that freshly waxed look.
              Fair enough. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Comment

Agreed wth guz. That's why I think all 2 should b used for boosters inbetween ulw.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');