• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black plastic trim '13 sienna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black plastic trim '13 sienna

Hello! I recently clayed and waxed our van and it looks great BUT, the black trim around the wipers is horrible. Protectant doesn't last and really nothing seems to work. What does everyone use for the black plastic. The area around the doors doesn't seem to be bad but...

Re: Black plastic trim '13 sienna

What protectant have you been using?

Give the trim a good cleaning. Some all purpose cleaner (D101) works very well. Then apply a trim protectant like ultimate black (the lotion version in the black bottle). Let that sit for few minutes and see if you need to add a second coat. The plastic may be dry and need to absorb the product in. Then go over the area with a light buff to remove any excess. Out here in Southern California this should last you about a month before reapplication. I've personally tested that out myself.

Their is a new ultimate black aerosol that is more durable and longer lasting. Just be sure to mask off the glass from overspray. It's a pain to remove from glass.

The only other product I have used on the trim is Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. It costs more but a little goes a long way and it lasts about 3-4 months on a properly cleaned surface.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Agree with Guz, the Megs Ultimate Black has done well by me. It last a decent amount of time too, but my SUV is garaged so it only sits out during the day.
      2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
      2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
      2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Ultimate Black really is one of the best secrets in detailing. You can also use Ultimate Protectant to boost your UB treatment. Be careful getting UB on the paint/clear. Clean it off with Quick Detailer (QD) immediately or it will be harder later. It will also run/smear if you can't let it fully dry for a day or two, for example, if it rains too soon after you do a treatment, but that easily comes clean with QD. Anyway, UB is an awesome plastic restorer (doesn't have to be black, btw).
        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

We got two similar threads going so I'll stop mine and jump on this one. Guz et al I like the idea of aerosol version of UB. I read your review. I can mask my areas easily. I can clean it as you describe above but I'm worried about the grey/weathered color. It is not black anymore. It is more grey. Is there a prep step needed before the UB? I understand the UB is basically a clear coat of sorts. If it is clear I'm afraid I'll get a shiny grey finish instead of black. Thanks.

Comment

I used UB on my 2013 XC 90 daily driver and it has been holding up quite well. I put it on my 2002 S60 Volvo and in spite of it being bleached out from lack of treatment it refreshed it quite nicely. These are both left out 24/7. It my experience it is matt finish. I will see about hosting some example images and posting them in this thread.

Comment

No, UB is not a clearcoat. It is more like a saddle-soap for plastic. It's a petroleum product that seeps into any plastic (and even some painted and anodized surfaces, like wiper arms) and chemically revives the material. If a black plastic is faded so bad as to be nearly grey-white, try multiple thick applications, also taking the care I described above. If you lay it on thick enough, that faded plastic will soon look very new. After that, depending on Sun and rain exposure, you won't need to treat again for many weeks or months, which you can extend with Ultimate Protectant, a somewhat similar product.
              Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
              4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
              First Correction | Gallery

Comment

I used UB on my 2013 XC 90 daily driver and it has been holding up quite well. I put it on my 2002 S60 Volvo and in spite of it being bleached out from lack of treatment it refreshed it quite nicely. These are both left out 24/7. It my experience it is matt finish. Below is a quick and dirty page showing the results.

Comment

Originally posted by dbssoccer View Post
                  We got two similar threads going so I'll stop mine and jump on this one. Guz et al I like the idea of aerosol version of UB. I read your review. I can mask my areas easily. I can clean it as you describe above but I'm worried about the grey/weathered color. It is not black anymore. It is more grey. Is there a prep step needed before the UB? I understand the UB is basically a clear coat of sorts. If it is clear I'm afraid I'll get a shiny grey finish instead of black. Thanks.
                  It's not a clear coat. It's a clear coating meaning it applies clear. Depending on which version you get. The aerosol version is more durable than the liquid. That doesn't mean the liquid is bad.

Both will rejuvenate the plastic.

The aerosol version is also self leveling. Meaning you spray and walk away. The liquid version will need some sort of light buff once you think the plastic has been hydrated. That could mean 1 coat, 2 coats etc... Depends on how dry the plastic is.

Prep wise APC works. You could try some car wash soap witha little brush if the plastic is textured.

Don't over think it. Either will work on grey or black plastic.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');