• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling a bit discouraged after using UC and UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling a bit discouraged after using UC and UP

Hey guys,

Today I decided to try and get some scratches and swirls out of my paint since my car finish isn't perfect. I'd washed yesterday so used QD, clayed, grabbed a beer and got started. I first tried a test spot with swirl x (helped me a lot last fall after getting my car back full of swirls from the body shop); while it helped, it didn't remove the slightly deeper scratches. So I moved on to UC, which helped a little more, but still saw straight line scratches across my work area even after 3 passes. I'm not sure if being outside I'm picking up dirt and dust and creating new scratches or what but I can't seem to get rid of these and they don't seem too deep for UC to tackle. I used a foam pad and microfiber from meguiars and finished with UP but there still wasn't much of a result. So I got a little annoyed and quit and finished with ULW (which is excellent by the way). Any advice?

-Chris

By the way, the car is a 2013 Hyundai Accent if that helps

Re: Feeling a bit discouraged after using UC and UP

Could be your technique. Lower your arm speed, a little more pressure on the tool, shrink your work area.

What size pads are you working with? These could be RIDS that you may have to just live with. What speed and tool are you using?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Sounds like you're working by hand, correct?

The straight line scratches may be a bit deep for UC to remove by hand. Can you feel them with your fingernail? If so, that generally means they're too deep to remove.

My feeling is you will need a DA and maybe a more aggressive compound and/or pad.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I am working by hand, yes. They are only visible when the sun is shining right on them and not deep enough to stick a fingernail in. I'm using the meguiars 4 inch yellow pads. I may try another application later and focus on technique, and if that doesn't work I was thinking about the DA power system.

Comment

Yes, that's a good idea.

It's likely you can eventually remove them by hand, but it may take several attempts and a lot of elbow grease.

The DAPS would be a good step up if you can't afford a DA.
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

If you're willing to work all of those compounds and polishes into the paint by hand, it's time you upgrade your arsenal and grab a dual action polisher. These tools are worth every single penny - useful for claying (autoscrub pad), compounding, polishing, and waxing. Meguiar's just came out with the MT300 - check it out. You can do a neighbor's or friend's car and pay the tool off right away...the difference in the quality of work done and the time it takes to do it with a DA will make you wonder why you ever tried doing this stuff by hand.

Comment

I agree. You won't be removing the deeper defects by hand.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Sooner or later I plan on it, I'm just a broke college kid right now unfortunately. I'm sure I'll be very happy with the results once I get one. Thank you guys for the responses

Comment

It will still look better even if you do it by hand. If you have a little extra cash pick up some Lake Country Hydro Tech hand pads. These will add a little more correction power than a typical foam applicator. I use them in areas a DA won't fit and they work great.

They look like this.

EZ Grip Hydro-Tech Hand Applicators - Designed and developed by the foam pad experts at Lake Country Mfg., the EZ Grip Hydro-Tech Hand Applicators allow you to take your hand polishing to the next level. The EZ Grip Hydro-Tech Hand Applicators are av...

These also work well.

99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

The harbor freight da is like $50 a after a coupon
                    GO GREEN WASH N' WAX 119 Morton St Yuba City, CA 95991 (530) 301-5300
                    http://www.yubacitydetailing.com http://www.google.com/+yubacitydetailing http://www.youtube.com/yubacitydetailing

Comment

M

Comment

Michael-
                        Those look nice, I might pick some of those up.

ycdriveclean-
                        And that DA is priced well, they make plenty of good tools so Im sure that is a nice one. I could probably just pick things up one at a time when it comes to the DA. When I start getting stuff I may for some more advice on your guys' favorite pads and technique.

Thank you guys, you're very helpful

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');