• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks to the Detailing Experts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to the Detailing Experts!

Wanted to say THANKS! to all the pros and experts and Meg's mods I've either read or interacted with on this site

I remember the first time I used a DA (Porter Cable) with Mirror Glaze pads. I was very, very afraid of hurting the paint, having tried in vain to rescue a clear coat failure on a previous car (only to find I was just rubbing what little clear was left right off). Given the comments and threads here, I surely wasn't alone in this fear, but it took me time to realize that with MG pads there's almost no way to do real "damage".

Indeed, in that first outing, I was just happy that I "did a correction" without screwing anything up! Yes, the car looked better than before, but in retrospect, I was being way too cautious with the Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish and Gold Class Wax steps. On the site here, I'd see so many pics of swirl-free panels in full sunlight, and I was frustrated, because I hadn't achieved that, yet.

Recently, I finished my second correction this year (due to weather, and experimentation), and I finally feel like I "get it", at least at an intermediate level
    1. With the Porter Cable at least at 3 and-a-half, I get aggressive with UC (or Scratch-X), working the tiny amount of product with a moistened burgundy pad (using GC QD), pushing against the paint (left-right, up-down patters) until the product seems to disappear. Then, I wipe off only the film that remains with an MF. Most of the swirls are gone, and even 1500 grit sanding marks (and their "shadows") I've left on very small touch-ups.
    2. Next, my fav, UP, at a speed of at least 5 with the yellow pad, sometimes vibrating the panels with a noticeable amount of product in more reloads, again until there's little more than a film left to wipe off with another MF. Swirls are essentially gone, not to mention any other defects. I do a second application of UP, with very little product, then wiping less of it off.
    3. Third, it's the Gold Class liquid, with many liberal reloads at a slow speed of 3 and the beige pad, just working it in with at least two effective passes, then I let it set up for a few minutes. Removing that last step with a third MF and a chamois to buff, one in each hand, I finally marvel at the result that so many of you seemed to get so easily. Woo-hoo

Not the most recent, but a January 2015 correction shot

So, thanks to Meguiar's and all the pro-level experts here. It took me a while, but I finally found a combo of products and technique that works for my hard, black pearl-metallic paint/clear, yielding a true show car finish

I hope my insights help someone else who may be struggling with new detailing gear!
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Your black paint looks perfect. Your wheels & tires look sharp as well

Comment

Re: Thanks to the Detailing Experts!

Like you found out ... all it takes is the right tools and practice ... Nice Job!
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Thanks, guys! Not sure about "perfect", but much better with practice. I still find light circular swirls on some panels, but the worst thing bothering me are the wipe holograms I can create so easily. I think I was using QW too much, before. QW gives you a quick feeling of "perfect", but then you see it from the side against the Sun and there are all these holograms - very frustrating. The wheels are the stock "hyper silver", just washed, and the tires are washed and dressed with a light spray of ArmourAll Xtreme Tire Shine.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
          I still find light circular swirls on some panels, but the worst thing bothering me are the wipe holograms I can create so easily. I think I was using QW too much, before. QW gives you a quick feeling of "perfect", but then you see it from the side against the Sun and there are all these holograms - very frustrating.

Are you sure you're seeing swirls or are you seeing smears? They look very similar on a well polished surface. You say you have used the Quick Wax "Too Much," perhaps you're just USING too much at one time. You can check by spraying a light mist of UQD on the panel and quickly and lightly buff it off with a microfiber, smears will disappear and swirls will remain. You can also check by gently wiping a clean (just washed/waxed) surface with a dry MF and if the swirls "change direction" then they are smears.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Yes, Don, I mean both. Smear holograms from QW (yes, probably too much product, not enough buff), but also spiderweb swirls that aren't compounding out (yes, still not being aggressive enough with the DA). Your tip is very helpful for the smears, so I'll try that - never occurred to me to use QD after QW

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
              Yes, Don, I mean both. Smear holograms from QW (yes, probably too much product, not enough buff), but also spiderweb swirls that aren't compounding out (yes, still not being aggressive enough with the DA). Your tip is very helpful for the smears, so I'll try that - never occurred to me to use QD after QW

I'm glad I could help, You might also try waiting a few hours until using UQD to remove any smears caused by the UQW, many time these types of smears disappear on their own. As for the swirls, just keep playing with the polish until you get the results you want.
              Don
              12/27/2015
              "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, in theory. Often the humidity alone in the Southeast will generate smear holograms over a few hours, so using QD after a gap might clear them out. However, in those same hours, I may have driven (collecting far more grime), or the car may have only sat in the open air (picking up more dust, pollen, rain trails, etc). At that point, I'm looking at a dirty car again, essentially. So, what I've done is to create a constant cleaning approach, from day to day, or every few days, with a range of solutions for that given time, knowing that the car will need another assessment within hours. Once in a while, the weather will be clear and dry for weeks or months, and I can approximate the "California" ideals of dusting, waterless washing, etc.

Comment

Wanted to update this recent thank you thread with another THANKS! to The Guz, Eldorado, Davey (Mr. Sparkle), JarHead, Michael Stoops, and cfilly for their help and suggestions as I moved from the above setup to a whole new DAMF deal

During March and April I did another couple of attempts using the "beginner" foam pads (as I think of them, the "1.0" Soft Buff thick pads) and I became more and more frustrated because I wasn't making any real impact on my diamond-hard paint. Guz pointed out the burgundy thick foam pad wasn't right for the DA, and despite a bunch of suggestions from the guys, I settled on the DAMF system, all 3 MF discs and all 3 Detailer liquids. I gave it all a try during May, and couldn't be happier, really

Here are some super-hard-paint combinations I've figured out using the Porter Cable DA:

Ultra-Cutting (without Getting Medieval)
                  - Xtra Cut MF Disc
                  - Ultimate Compound
                  - Speed 6/max
                  - Slow arm movement, medium pressure
                  - 1-3 pass/loads with touch-ups
                  - Hard paint: buffing trails, holograms, deep scratches, scuffs, swirls
                  - May haze lightly, so follow below

Fine-Cutting as a Pre-Polish
                  - Xtra Cut MF Disc
                  - Detailer D300 Correction Compound
                  - Speed 5-6
                  - 1 pass/load with touch-ups if Ultra-Cutting (above), or
                  - 1-12 pass/loads if 1st step
                  - Hard paint: swirls, "love touches", micro-scratches

Polishing (with Mild Cutting)
                  - Finishing MF Disc (Cutting MF Disc)
                  - Detailer D302 Polish
                  - Speed 4 (adjust to limit vibration)
                  - Slow to very-very slow arm movement, light pressure
                  - 1 or more pass/loads as desired
                  - Hard paint: fine detail, glassy finish, wow factor

Waxing with an Atitude
                  - Finishing MF Disc
                  - Detailer D301 Finishing Wax
                  - Speed 3-4 (adjust to limit vibration)
                  - Slowish arm movement, light pressure
                  - repeat 1 pass pattern to work liquid as if polishing
                  - good for "love touches", and also for a 1-step regular re-waxing
                  - repeat without "attitude" for more wax durability

Developing these 4 early combos allowed me to fully correct my defects on some mystifying hard paint without resorting to damp or wet sanding (say, using Meg's Ungrit DA pads) - although, I'm still holding that out as a possible necessity (never say never). I hope this helps someone else with hard paint defects. YMMV

Comment

Once again, I wanted to update here (and here). I've finally had a chance to get myself some M101 (32oz from AutoGeek @ 39.99). Reading lots of threads here, particularly the debate over M100, M101, and M105, and then those vs UC and others, and then recalling my own maddening experience with my hard paint, all led me to just go for the maximum cut combo, M101. Here's what I've found, so far:

Ultra-Cutting (without Getting Medieval, Revised)
                    - Cutting Disc (or Xtra Cut MF Disc for heavy needs)
                    - M101 Compound
                    - Speed 5/max
                    - 1 pass/load with touch-ups
                    - Hard paint: buffing trails, holograms, deep scratches, scuffs, swirls
                    - No appreciable haze, but follow with polish and/or wax

So, where on my paint D300 would hardly do more than polish or remove sanding marks, and where UC would cut defects only with many, many passes, M101 can do the job with a great cut and finish in one pass!!! Combining this with "Waxing with an Attitude" (above) and now I've got a two-step process for most correction needs.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, TG!

For a fellow dabbler like me, that's very useful information.

Crazy Vinny

Comment

Thanks, Vinny! Glad it's helped

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');