• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Protect 365 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paint Protect 365 review

Originally posted by thedoc46 View Post
    Hey guys, finally got around to trying some of this product myself after a waterless D114 wash and a clay treatment.. As you said Guz in your review, went on easy and off easy... One thing I've not liked (which so happens to be the ONLY thing i didn't like as its so far surpassed my expectations) is about it is the cleaning of the application pads... There's like a slime type goo that comes out when hand washing the pads... I used a 5" black megs pad on an MT300 at 3600, as well as a hand applicator for the intricate areas. It's obviously VERY hydrophobic and it does not want to rinse out very easily. Hand washed the pads and let them soak in detergent and squeezed as much of the slime as i could, but on every squeeze more and more came out, and then it made my garage sink very dirty. Had to use a scrubbing brush to scrub away the floating slime as it just immediately attached itself to the sides of my sink. I hardly used any product either. Perhaps for the entire car, 1oz.

Unfortunately it rained about 7 hrs after applying, so i didn't give it the 24hr cure time.. But i was impressed on how it beaded and sheeted right off the hood, as i was driving. As for gloss, i didn't notice any less gloss than ULW. Which is where it exceeded my expectations. Anyway for less than 10bucks, this will be good for many applications. Dang that means if i stick to the 365 supposed lifespan i'll be in my 50's, by the time I need my next bottle. lol Another excellent Megs product in my opinion... Well done fellas !
    Nice review. Now here's another plus to it. No more need for spray waxes, D115 (as it contains wax) or any type of topper for that matter. Why hide the products properties with something else? All you need is some soap and water if you are doing a bucket wash or some D114 if you are doing a rinseless.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      Why hide the products properties with something else?
      Because although PP365 is very durable, it doesn't exhibit great beading properties as good as some other LSP's (as you know).

Plus, guys like us can't help ourselves.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
        Because although PP365 is very durable, it doesn't exhibit great beading properties as good as some other LSP's (as you know).

Plus, guys like us can't help ourselves.

Although that is true it can be done. I've resisted topping it. If I can do it I am sure you can do it
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Ha ha ha... I'm glad you've resisted because that means you can continue to update us on how it's performing!
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Well it will be on for another 1-2 months before I get the car repainted so someone will have to take over the testing. I think I will be coating the car after I wait a bit after the repaint.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Tried it on the weekend on my daily driver which is a dark grey Impala. it went on eazy but I could not get it to wipe off. Put in on with a rotary buffer. Only sprayed the applicator pad once and did the whole car. Made the plastic look great. finally washed the vehicle a second time to get the product off so that it did not look smeared? Tried wiping off 4 times with different cloths? Finally washed a second time? Thought possibly too much product but it should have wiped off NO?

Comment

It's been raining here the last few days. Never got a chance to apply it to the hood of the pathfinder.

Beading is much stronger with the PP365 compared to D156 that is on the hood. I'll try and grab a pic at lunch time to show a comparison. Very tight beading, not like the pictures you have posted Guz.

Comment

Here are a few observations from me. I applied Paint Protect about a month and a half ago. I've been washing once a week since applying with Deep Crystal Car Wash soap.

Paint Protect after heavy rain storm, washed three days prior:

2 days later after using the shower setting on the nozzle pointing straight up, paint still dirty:

After washing with Deep Crystal soap:

What I'm noticing, is the rain beading looks more uniform compared to me manually spraying the panel using the shower setting. During the manual rinse, the sheeting is very slow and in my opinion does not fare better than clean and decontaminated unprotected clearcoat. The water behavior during the rinse does not change after washing the car clean with soap. As a comparison, I'm testing Shine Lock Sealant on the other side of the hood and it performed the exact same as Paint Protect with no difference in the water behavior at this point in the test.

Comment

Thanks for the review

Beading isn't the be all and end all sign of protection. Granted, many people like to see nice, tight, uniform beads. If that's the case, then perhaps PP365 is not the right product.

Also, IME rain showers generally always display better beading than the shower setting on a hose, no matter what sealant is used.

Comment

Well someone is going to have to take over the testing. I polished it off the hood today and moved onto the next item. But 365 was still on the paint and doing very well 4 months and change after application. It did lose a lot of it's slickness but it's properties were still visible.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

My brother's 1999 Camry was done in January. As of this past Monday it was still beading nicely. NO washes since January and it sits outside 24/7/365. We may wash it this weekend and if so I'll snap some pics before and after.
                        2014 Cadillac ATS4 Performance in White Diamond Tricoat. It's loaded with everything but frickin' lasers!

Comment

Well I gave the fender a test spot to remove any remaining coating that may still be on the paint of course starting with the least aggressive method. I had to compound in order to remove it as M205 was not enough to remove it alone. I must say M100 is a great compound. Unbelievable working time. I will go into more details once I complete the entire car of the process.

I did remove the polishing oils with CarPro Eraser. This is purely optional and I chose to have paint protect bond straight to the paint. I also tried applying Paint Protect as if I was applying a coating but still using a foam applicator (top to bottom followed by right to left). After watching David Pedre of Meguiar's at the Autogeek demo on how to apply product to the pad. Trying a different approach to application versus small circles or straight lines. I was able to get better coverage as well as a more even coverage.

This will be a long term test on this car with paint protect once I finish the entire car.

Here's the fender

I did half the hood and it could just be an illusion but to me paint protect did have a darkening effect on the paint.

99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I did my truck 6 months ago.The sides bead like crazy still but the hood and the roof had no beading at all but very slow sheeting so I think it was all but gone. Last week I reapplied on those areas again so we will see how t will hold up now that it is not so hot.
                            2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
                            1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
                            1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
                            1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
                            1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

@The Guz. I told you the stuff darkens like crazy. Lol.
                              How long it remains that way? I dunno..

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                                @The Guz. I told you the stuff darkens like crazy. Lol.
                                How long it remains that way? I dunno..
                                I should not have doubted you lol. On my silver car the darkening effect wasn't noticeable.

We will see how long it lasts. I had it for 4 months on the hood of my car and it was still going strong before I stripped it.

Here's my application process.

99 Grand Prix
                                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');