• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike from Central New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike from Central New York

Hey all,

I'm Mike from CNY. I've never really been a "car guy" - oh I like 'em and drive 'em, but I've never had a real love affair. However, I've always had a romance whenever I got a new (to me) ride. My first car was a 1962 Chevy Belair. Followed by a Chevy Impala, Chevelle Malibu, Camaro, I converted a new Ford van in the 70's. I had an F250 Pickup w/plow for 12 years, along with another Camaro and an Olds Cutlas. I had a Chevy Blazer and a few Olds Bravada lease deals. In 2007 I got a 2006 Buick Rendezvous and got bit by the detailing bug that lasted for quite some time. In November, my wife traded in her Chevy Malibu for a 2014 Buick Verano. In January, I swapped my Rendezvous in on a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT and am recharged (perhaps obsessed) with the detailing 'obsession'. HOWEVER, the winter is putting a hold on any serious detailing so I'm 'trolling' the forums to get a handle on any new techniques and products to keep these vehicles in like new condition.
    If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got.

Re: Mike from Central New York

Hey Mike
    well all depends on :
    1- how much time are you willing to invest detailing your car /month
    2-condition of the paint
    3-mileage /month
    there are many options out there .

Comment

Welcome! U have had a lot of nice rides thru the years that's for sure. But don't b afraid to ask questions, along with reading old threads. There's a ton of info in old threads.

Comment

I'm retired so I have time. Both vehicles are fairly new so I think any paint correction (if any) will be minor. They also both are driven, but prolly not as much as most daily drivers. My truck is only out on the road a couple times a week. The Mrs. drives more, but under 10k a year.

Originally posted by Rogersss View Post
        Hey Mike
        well all depends on :
        1- how much time are you willing to invest detailing your car /month
        2-condition of the paint
        3-mileage /month
        there are many options out there .
        So on my truck (on hold until spring) I plan to clean the interior well. Then I'll do a pressure wash rinse, followed by either a 2 bucket conventional wash or an ONR wash. If conventional, I'll blow her off with the leaf blower. Next I will clay. I already bought the Meguiars clay kit. At this time, I'll inspect for any paint imperfections. I don't think I'll need compound, but may polish with Megs Ultimate Polish. I'll follow this with Megs Ultimate Paste (or liquid) wax. (I also have the spray that I'll use after weekly washes. Oh and I got some Megs ultimate black for the black plastic trim and Megs headlight protestant for the clear plastic lenses.
        So that's the plan for the truck. I'll do something similar for the Verano, but haven't fully decided yet.

Comment

engine bay cleaning

Hey guys. I was wondering what you guys do to clean the engine bay? I don't really want to spray water into my engine bay of my dad's srt8. Is there any ways to get a new look to the engine bay. Degreaser maybe? Thanks in advance. I'm open to all suggestions.

Comment

I've always been reluctant to hose the engine for fear of getting water in the electrical. I guess it would be okay if you're careful to cover the distributor, fuse box and alternator. Other detailers do it - check put some youtube video's. STILL, it's yer dads car, NOT YOURS!
            BESIDES, my ride is not a show car so the hood stays down unless some service is being done.
            I have usually just wimped out and popped the hood and do a spray (simple green) and wipe down of the dusty parts, then treat the plastics/rubbers with like Stoners shine or 303 Aerospace Protectant (Megs Ultimate Protectant would prolly be a good choice too [but I have yet to use it]).

Comment

Excellent sequence for cleaning the truck...
              Since the Verano makes more mileage, you could add one more step after the power wash rinse : Meguiar gold class soap mixed with 1 oz. of 1z w99 APC( in 5 gallons bucket) and let it dwell for 5 mn over the paint, power wash, then Clay with Nanoskin Wash mitt and soapy slick mix of ur choice ...i personally do that on my black car : results awesome...then protection if no need for paint correction.
              1Z w99 is an incredible product , multi usage especially because of dilution capabilities.

Comment

I'm toying with the idea of adding a little no rinse (along with a good wash soap) in my wash water (Also thinking of getting a foam gun attachment for my Karcher pressure washer). The added slickness would better prevent any marring. I'm not sure if I'd add an APC since first time out, the Verano would also likely get clayed.

Comment

Welcome to MOL

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                  "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Welcome.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...