• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rookie1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie1

Hello to all. I am new to this site as well as to detailing. I will be asking a lot of questions.

Re: Rookie1

Ask away!
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Welcome.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Welcome to MOL!

Comment

I have a 2006 Lexus SC 430 Hardtop Convertible with tan leather and mica granite exterior. I have never been into detailing but since I became a disabled Vietnam Veteran getting my Baby in show condition is my new job. What I have done so far is wash, with a Meguires wash, clay bar ultimate compound, scratch 2.0 then liquid carnauba wax. I use ultimately clear glass cleaner. Should I use mirror glaze 7 before wax? I am weak on interior and tires and wheels. I think the first show isn't till May. I just want to be ready. Any and all suggestions or directions are appreciated. I will post pictures as soon as I figure that out

Comment

What color is your Lexus?

If it's a darker color, it may benefit (in looks) from M7 before wax.

What wax are you using? If it's a darker color, you may consider putting a carnauba wax on top of your sealant for a deeper, richer look..
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Sorry, I just re-read your post.

You may want to consider applying a sealant like Ultimate Wax first, followed by a coat of your liquid carnauba wax.

Comment

[QUOTE=rookie1;558689]I have a 2006 Lexus SC 430 Hardtop Convertible with tan leather and mica granite exterior. I have never been into detailing but since I became a disabled Vietnam Veteran getting my Baby in show condition is my new job. What I have done so far is wash, with a Meguires wash, clay bar ultimate compound, scratch 2.0 then liquid carnauba wax. I use ultimately clear glass cleaner. Should I use mirror glaze 7 before wax? I am weak on interior and tires and wheels. I think the first show isn't till May. I just want to be ready. Any and all suggestions or directions are appreciated. I will post pictures as soon as I figure that out. Hopefully I can do that soon.

Comment

It is Mica Granite, almost black. I use gold class carnauba or the liquid version. Stupid question. ....what's M7? (Mirror Glaze 7?

Comment

Yep, that's it.

Meguiar's #7, or M7, or Mirror Glaze 7.

Not everyone can notice the difference after M7 on modern clear coat paints. But it's more likely you'll notice it on a darker color, such as yours.

I would say that since you're using a carnauba wax anyway, you probably won't need the M7, but it can't hurt to try if you want to get your paint looking the best it possibly can.

Comment

Would I use M7 then the sealant then the carnauba?

Comment

That's right, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie1 View Post
                          I have a 2006 Lexus SC 430 Hardtop Convertible with tan leather and mica granite exterior. I have never been into detailing but since I became a disabled Vietnam Veteran getting my Baby in show condition is my new job. What I have done so far is wash, with a Meguires wash, clay bar ultimate compound, scratch 2.0 then liquid carnauba wax. I use ultimately clear glass cleaner. Should I use mirror glaze 7 before wax? I am weak on interior and tires and wheels. I think the first show isn't till May. I just want to be ready. Any and all suggestions or directions are appreciated. I will post pictures as soon as I figure that out
                          Just a quick tip for you. You won't need to use both UC and scratchx. I would go with UC out of the two. If you really want to amp up the gloss try ultimate polish and follow with the wax of your choice. You have many options to choose from the Meguiar's line. Are you looking for looks, protection or both?

As far as tires go, consider Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner to clean the dirt and grime off the tires. Another option would be to pick up some D101 All Purpose Cleaner. Then follow up with a tire dressing. D163 tire & trim gel is one of my favorites closely followed by ultimate black tire coating. You can use Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner on wheels as well but be sure that you can use it on your wheels before you actually buy/use it.

On the interior, my personal favorite is the leather sealer kit. Comes with the cleaner and protectant. On the rubber, vinyl and plastics it would be a toss up between Natural Shine and New Car Scent protectant.

Originally posted by rookie1 View Post
                          Would I use M7 then the sealant then the carnauba?
                          Since you did not use a polish after compounding then I would go with this route. If it was me I would skip M7 and just apply a sealant topped with a wax or just a wax.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I am going for looks and protection. Hoping to show it this year. I read somewhere that a sealant took 36 hours to cure. They are talking about waiting 36 hours before you continue apply wax, right?

Comment

Yes, that would be what they mean. Which sealant were they referring to?
                              I'm pretty sure all Megs sealants are maximum 24 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');