• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you dilute or mix M105 compound for a weaker effect and longer buffing cycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you dilute or mix M105 compound for a weaker effect and longer buffing cycle?

Hello All,
    As the title states. Can Meguiars M105 compound be mixed with such as M205 in creating a slightly less abrasive compound or in extending its working time on a rotary buffer using Meguiars Soft Buff 2.0 red cutting pads? Can water be misted on the surface with M105 without making to much of a mess?

Otherwise, can you recommend something similar to M105 that has a longer buffing time, which isn't prone to swirling, that can be used with a rotary buffer and stated cutting pads? It can be slightly less aggressive than M105 but needs to be a good first step compound for M205.

Note: I have a Meguiars DA that I will be using with Meguiars M205 to finish out. I just need something that can be used with a rotary buffer and cutting pads as the first step in removing light to moderate scratches.

Thanks,
    Ralph

Re: Can you dilute or mix M105 compound for a weaker effect and longer buffing cycle?

I decided to go with M101 so no longer need this inquiry. Thanks anyhow....

Comment

Ultimate Compound is great, and working time is great too. I know it's not suggested for rotary use, but have seen post people have used it with great results. I know you went with the 101 but just a suggestion..

Comment

Re: Can you dilute or mix M105 compound for a weaker effect and longer buffing cycle?

Hello,
        I've already discussed UC and M205 in the "Detailing 101" thread and made a comparison of those items in addition to some #2 soft cut. All of those items finished out very well with a finishing pad and a DA. However, none of them did a very good job of removing minor scratches with all seemingly fairly equal, IMO. I did test spots on my green tractor and then a black truck which I'm getting ready to finish out.

Consequently, I've decided to go with a good cutting compound (M101) and a rotary buffer for the first step. This should make quick work of any minor to moderate scratches. I will then follow up with M205 and my DA in polishing out and waxing the truck.

I would be hesitant to use UC with a rotary because it wasn't made for that nor recommended for it. Whereas M101 and M105 (as UC was derived from) was made for use with a rotary.

God Bless,
        Ralph

Comment

I have a bottle of 105/205 mixed 1:1. When I've got a job that needs a little more than 205, but not quite 105, I use it and love it. Dusts way less, longer buffing cycle and finishes even a little better. Try it out and see how you like it.
          Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by jarred767 View Post
            I have a bottle of 105/205 mixed 1:1. When I've got a job that needs a little more than 205, but not quite 105, I use it and love it. Dusts way less, longer buffing cycle and finishes even a little better. Try it out and see how you like it.
            Thanks for the reply Jarred and good to know. That's what I used to do with the compounds I buffed professionally with years ago at a Dealer-only auction (sub-contract). I had some nasty fast cutting compound that could take care of the worst defects quickly. It was like liquid sandpaper and apparently I was the only one who really cared for it according to the supply house.

The deal was, I could mix it with a polish or light cutting compound to create different levels of cut. That, in many instances, allowed me to get away with a two-step process, because I could then follow that up with a softer compound with a little wax mixed in.

Of course, it was a balance between quality and quantity back then and personal cars were always given utmost attention. Today, I don't think I will need the full effects of such as M101 or M105 personally; so it's nice to know I can mix it in controlling the cut and working time. Meguiars "buffing" products are new to me but I'm excited about the results already.

See ya,
            Ralph

Comment

They are awesome products!!! I've tried a bunch and while some are more expensive and branded as 'nicer' I keep coming back to the Megs line because it works great, is easy to use and provides great results. Have fun with them!
              Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');