• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Rotary Buffer and DA polisher, how to best use them together & what compounds???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Rotary Buffer and DA polisher, how to best use them together & what compounds???

Hello All,
    I just purchased a Meguiars G110v2 polisher and would like some input as to how best it will fit in with my rotary buffer?

Just FYI, I buffed professionally for 14 years (been a while) but have never used a DA polisher nor Meguiars compounds/polishes; so your input is appreciated. I'm not returning to professional detailing but I may begin buffing out a few friends/family cars on occasion.

* My plan is to use the rotary buffer in the 1st step to remove moderate or severe scratches/swirl marks.
    * I will then use the rotary buffer -or- DA polisher in the 2nd step to remove any remaining swirl marks or holograms created or
    left from the 1st step.
    * I will use the DA polisher for the final 3rd step in applying wax or in removing any final remnants of swirl marks/holograms via a "cleaner wax" if necessary?

1. Am I on the right track?
    2. Would M101 and M105 serve well for an occasional weekend warrior as such? What is the shelf life?
    3. I prefer to use the rotary in the second step as well (assume faster) but would I be better served going with the DA from that point and reserving the rotary for the initial tough stuff?

Example: I am about to buff out my bosses black '08 Chevy PU. There are only a few minor scratches but the paint is dull/oxidized from neglect. I plan on using the rotary/M101 with 8.5in CCS pad in the first step. Then M105 with 8.5in. CCS polishing pad in second step. Then DA polisher with wax or cleaner wax and Meguiars 6.5in 2.0 pads for last step.

Am I on the right track or is there a better strategy?

God Bless,
    Ralph

Re: Have Rotary Buffer and DA polisher, how to best use them together & what compound

You could do it that way, but it seems like too many steps.

Generally, most people would compound with the rotary, then polish with M205 (or equivalent) and the DA and a yellow pad, then wax with the DA and black finishing pad.
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Re: Have Rotary Buffer and DA polisher, how to best use them together & what compound

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post

Generally, most people would compound with the rotary, then polish with M205 (or equivalent) and the DA and a yellow pad, then wax with the DA and black finishing pad.
      I agree with this. This will serve you well.

One other option is to invest in the Meguiar's microfiber cutting disks and D300. It gives amazing correction. You could also use D300 with foam pads on a DA. Or you could invest in the entire microfiber system and use this on your friends cars. It's a simple 2 step process that is a time saver.

If you are going to stick with the rotary then M101 or M105 would be what you need.

If your boss is not looking for a show car finish and time is a factor you may want to use this.

Don't forget to clay prior to doing any paint correction.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post

Yes, that is what I said above in a 3 step process. Start with Rotary, then either Rotary -or- DA for polish (2nd step), then finish (wax, 3rd step) with DA.

I guess it's a matter of comfort and/or quality/speed as to whether I would use the DA for the second step but consensus seems to be yes. I suppose this is where it's ability to leave a swirl free finish and in correcting such would be most beneficial. I've never used one so it will be a new experience for me, being a former rotary pro.

Thanks for the input and thanks to Guz for the suggestions. I am going to look into that as well and may have a few questions.

God Bless,
        Ralph

p.s. Yes, truck will be thoroughly washed and then clay bar..

Comment

My 3step preference is to use a DA to correct then polish and jewel with the rotary at low speed then finish with a DA
          why? - no marring from using DA for first step, rotary is better at enhancing gloss than a da and da last will guarantee no issues

Comment

I would recommend an M100, the compound works best on the Rotary plus the M100 tend to stay wet longer a well as this will not generate dust as much as an M101 or an M105.

If your boss vehicle has a minor or even some moderate scratches, With the DA machine alone, it still can get the job done very nicely and do not have have to use the Rotary ^_^

As for finising the job faster, Rotary is not necessary, If knowing the good combination what to use with DA, it can be as fast as using Rotary and the job wil come out even better too.

Comment

Originally posted by Detailology Australia View Post
              My 3step preference is to use a DA to correct then polish and jewel with the rotary at low speed then finish with a DA
              why? - no marring from using DA for first step, rotary is better at enhancing gloss than a da and da last will guarantee no issues
              That sounds like a well-conceived and reasonable strategy of which I might employ if a paint test spot were to prove tricky! For now, the rotary would be my go to for the greatest of corrections simply for its cutting ability. My strategy or mentality may indeed change as I get more familiar with the DA and it’s abilities though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK. I just got some M101 and I’m highly impressed with it. I've done numerous test spots on three of our family vehicles (silver, dark gray and hunter green). The hunter green vehicle is my father-in-laws neglected hunting truck which is faded and has an abundance of scratches. The M101 removed the paint imperfections as desired and with minimal effort. I tried it with both my DA and Rotary with 6.5in SoftBuff polishing pads.

The rotary made faster work of it and left no discernable issues (swirls, holograms) so I used it exclusively after that in attempting to see if any issues would arise. I didn't notice anything indoors but the sun is shining brightly today and I did notice two holograms on my 4-Runner. This however was only after a single step with my rotary and M101.

I must admit I was slightly disappointed because I thought it had “amazingly” left a flawless LSP ready finish. I really shouldn’t have been surprised though because I was being quite aggressive in that area. In addition, my technique has always been to lighten up on the rotary toward the end of a cycle to the point of no pressure. This always allowed me to finish out with minimal wiping which was important when I did this for a living and had to buff many auction cars in a given day. In this case, I may have overworked it though because the M101 working time wasn’t quite as long as I would like. It’s just going to take some tweaking (pad prep, rotary speed, pad selection, etc).

Anyhow, after spotting the hologram today I broke out the DA and went over it with some M205 and a polishing pad. The hologram disappeared quickly and with very little effort! The finish looks fantastic.

Note: Because my working time was slightly shorter than desired and M101 alone is more aggressive than I will typically need, I decided to mix a few ounces of it and M205 together (75% and 25% respectfully). I cannot say definitively at the moment but this did seem to extend working time and made clean up easier. In addition, there was no discernable difference in the cutting ability or quality of the paint finish when done.

I’ll follow up this post with a few images…

Ralph

Comment

Nice. Yeah I will say this - have as many techniques and processes as you can
                The rotary is still the king at creating a rich glassy wet finish whilst jewelling and a DA can correct a lot these days with the huge throw units up to 30mm today but the rotary does too.
                Use them In any order you wish and always finish at a low speed and you shouldn't have too many issues if any.

Comment

Hello All,
                  Can anyone tell me how to upload images from my computer? The website is asking me to upload via URL website?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so my view of the DA polisher has completely changed as I've been enlightened! My buffing pads began coming in today and I decided to test a spot on my 4-Runner with the new Meg 6in cutting disc and M101 (with 25% M205 mixed in). This combination quickly and completely removed numerous moderate scratches that I thought would be reserved for my rotary. I was really surpised.

I now have no doubt the DA is quite capable of removing moderate to significant scratches. This cutting pad is very aggressive and such that I've never used on a rotary. Is there any risk of paint marring with this thing and such as M101? It's simply amazing the DA could be used in this fashion with no expectations of swirls, holograms or marring.

I may well be using Detail..Australias scenario after all...

Input please,
                  Ralph

Comment

Ralph,

That combination of Cutting Disc + M101 on a DA is quite agressive, so there is a very real chance of marring, especially on softer paints. Some harder paints (or white paint where you can't really see it, or cars which don't really require a show car shine) should finish up fine with just that combo. As you know, if you do get marring, it's no big deal to follow up with a finishing polish to remove it.

As for the photos, I always host mine on Photobucket (or another similar image hosting site) and then copy the IMG tag from there into my text on the forum.
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

This should help.

I compress my photos so that they are accepted when uploaded into my gallery.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

What speeds were you running with the MF disc and that polish mix
                        I have always believed in slowing the machine speeds right down when using a DA just like rotary
                        keep the pad clean by MF towel, brush or compressed air about 1 minute or 30 seconds before finishing that section and then do one final pass at low speed say 3 1/2 to 3 and 2 or even 1

if you have with a nice moist thin film of polish at start, middle and finish , you should finish out well 99% of the time with no marring
                        if it does change the polish to a finer one and if that still does it even with any technique, change the pad or do a follow up with softer MF or foam.

Comment

Hello Everyone and thanks for the input and suggestions.

Ok, I hope these image uploads work. This is my father-in-laws hunting truck as you can tell and is 18 years old. Just as trivia, I painted the roof and hood 7 years ago and then buffed the entire truck as they hoped, at that time, to get a few more years out of it, ha. It's now 7 years later and only the second time a buffer has been put on it.

I hadn't planned on taking any images but decided to at the last moment so apologize I didn't get any better one's for you. The buffing depicted in the images was just after "one pass" with my rotary and polishing pad. Probably around 40 seconds of buffing or so... Note: I wasn't attempting to get every scratch out or a show-room finish. I just wanted to see what the rotary and M101 would do. I also did a comparison test of, 75% M101 with 25% M205 mixed in.

1. The first image is before buffing. You cannot see all of the scratches but they were extensive.

2. The second image is after the buffing. M101 alone was used in the middle section, whereas M101/M205 was used on the left (rear) and right (front of tire).

***I don't see any URL details for thumbnail links but the http links are working***

Comment

Huge improvement!

Comment

1. First image is just prior to buffing.

2. Second is just after buffing. Rear section (left) with M101/M205 combo, middle section (right) with M101 alone.

Please excuse the clutter in my garage, btw!! We are rearranging some things for the shop...

May post some more tomorrow in figuring this out...

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');