• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mirror Glaze #5 New Car Glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Glaze #5 New Car Glaze

I have a new Toyota 4Runner and I am just wondering what the folks here would suggest for its first detail. I am not a beginner, nor a professional, but I do enjoy detailing. I do have a Porter Cable 7424xp dual action, but I just got it and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I am thinking since this is a new car without swirl marks or halos I will probably do this first detail by hand. Another thing to mention is that the entire front end and hood have an Xpel Paint Protection Film applied. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I have two plans of action and do not know which would be best. Any wisdom you can throw at me would be appreciated. Here are my 2 plans...

Plan A
    Wash
    Clay
    Meguiars Ultimate Polish
    Meguiars Ultimate Wax

Plan B
    Wash
    Clay
    Meguiars Mirror Glaze #5 New Car Glaze
    Meguiars New Paint Protect

Since this is new paint and in pretty good shape do I even need the Ultimate Polish/#5 New Car Glaze?

Any help would be appreciated... THANKS

Re: Mirror Glaze #5 New Car Glaze

I forgot to mention that the Toyota 4Runner above is white.... sorry.

Comment

Well the good thing is that white hides defects very well. It's common for new cars to be delivered with defects. The so called DISO (Dealer Installed Swirl Option). They also come with surface contaminants (ie rail dust, etc..). So claying is a good first step after washing.

As an owner of a white car myself, here are a couple tips. To tell whether or not you have sirls on the car, it's best to look at it in very good light. If you look at it outside in the sun move your head in different angles. That will give you an idea of what the paint looks like. If you have a garage and pull it inside, you can use the same kind of technique using an LED flash light. Playing around with the various angles to get the best possible look.

If there are no swirls then wash,clay and seal. You can use either product. If you want long term protection then use 365. If there are some slight defects use ultimate polish. White paint could always use some good cleaning to make it look bright.

On the x-pel protection film just simply wash it. X-pel sells their own cleaner and sealant. I will let Mike Stoops chime in on whether or not ultimate wax or 365 is ok to use on x-pel.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

On white you are going to want to use an Iron deposit remover like IronX.

Wash
        IronX
        Clay
        Megs UP
        Megs#5 (optinal)
        Megs Paint Protect

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
        "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Don't worry about the #5, and I'd probably keep the UP off the Xpel Paint Protection Film.
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Or how about Wash (Gold Class Car wash), clay, white wax (taking your time with each section to really maximize the SMAT in white wax), finish it up with Ultimate Wax or the new paint protect.

Comment

Originally posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
              On white you are going to want to use an Iron deposit remover like IronX.

Wash
              IronX
              Clay
              Megs UP
              Megs#5 (optinal)
              Megs Paint Protect
              I would do this as well.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I had considered the White Wax mentioned above. I was just trying to keep things simple. The paint is in good shape. I do not see any dealer installed swirl marks or scratches. I am trying to be as gentle to the paint as I can be since it is in such good shape.

I am interested in some of the posts above mentioning Iron X. I am familiar with what it does and how it works. The Iron X just frightens me somewhat in that it can be applied to some surfaces but not others. I am afraid of damaging something. I would definitely keep it off of the Xpel Paint Protection Film. Xpel is way too expensive to take any chances damaging it. I am not against using Iron X. It just worries me.

Comment

Ultimate polish is not that aggressive so you will be fine using it on new paint. This is a good thread. UP would be after M205.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...t-surprise-you!

In order to truly take advantage of the SMAT within white wax, then you have to use it with a DA. See this thread http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...r-of-White-Wax

If you decide to top white wax with another product, the topping product may not last as long as it is typically known to last. If you are happy with the look as is then clay and seal. That's as simple as it gets.

I have used Ironx and I have never had a problem with it. You don't really have to use it. It just helps if you notice some specks in the paint that are not coming off with a clay bar as they are embedded deeper into the paint.

What's your end goal? Looks or protection? Or now with 365 longer protection?
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Guz,

My end goal a long lasting protection (2-3 months minimum) improved looks wouldn't hurt either. I do have a Porter Cable DA so the White Wax is not out of the question. I have a bottle of the new Paint Protect. The weather just hasn't allowed me to try it out yet.

Comment

Then if you just want something on the paint then hit it with white wax. Should give you about 2-3 months. You could even follow up with ultimate quik wax right after removing white wax. Then in the warmer months you can polish and use PP365.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

U could do the snow soap if ur uncomfortable with iron x.

Comment

Yeah, I've never had an issue with ironx touching anything.

Might turn your wheel weight green till the next wash.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');