• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax

I have a 36 Ford coupe. I never wash the car with soap and water. I just take it out for short cruises so it doesn't really get dirty. To clean it I first use a California duster and then use detailer and a microfiber towel to clean it. My question is does the detailer take the wax off?

Re: Wax

No it will not. It will actually help the "boost" the wax.

Have you considered using a rinseless wash such as D114 Rinse Free Express Wash or D115 Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax since you don't wash it with a traditional soap and water. You would be amazed at how easy it is to use a rinseless wash.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

No I haven't, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the come back.

Comment

Does d114 rinse free take the wax off?

Comment

As long as you use it at the appropriate dilution ratio you will be fine.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Harold,

I have a car which I use and clean in much the same way as you. Guz is correct in saying that QD itself doesn't actually take your wax off and it in fact boosts the wax.

However, I've found there is a law of diminishing returns in this situation. The wax still slowly depletes, and there comes a time when a QD cannot put back all the protection lost by the wax. You can tell this has happened when a QD is difficult to remove and/or doesn't feel as slick when you're finished. That's when you know it's time to wax again.

I can get a good six months out of the wax on my garage queen.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

^^ This is true. The wax won't last forever as Davey stated.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I've been meaning to do a test.
                It's my belief, from personal experience that most waxes can survive up to 8 washes with a typical car wash soap like Gold Class before needing re application.

I've always wondered how this applies to quik detailers such as Last Touch or D114, whether it's used as a rinseless or as a waterless/quik detailer.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');