• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APC for non-auto application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC for non-auto application

Just wondering if anybody has used APC to clean leather, specifically leather jackets. I have found it to work well on my work boots as well as various non-leather heavy textiles so I'm wondering if this would be a good application. FWIW I would be following up with some form of conditioning.
    2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

I use Meguiars apc to clean most leather materials diluted 10 to 1 but I will recommend 4 to 1 on the jacket and don't listen to all the bs of pH balance.

Comment

I use it at 10:1 for leather followed by a clean water wipe down to further dilute any residual product and an immediate dry MF wipe to additionally pick up trace amounts. Then just condition the leather as you normally would.

I also use it to clean the grout (white grout) on my bathroom floors. It works very well for this.

It gets used in the shower and tub to clean the fiberglass inserts of soap film followed by an automotive sealant.

I use APC inside the home on many surfaces.
      Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Sorry, what I'm I saying 4 to 1; lol, too strong on the jacket. Also there are some leather conditioners that also having cleaning potential to a certain extended depending on how dirty the jacket is. Moreover, with a product that cleans and conditions you only have to do a 1 step in contrast to apc then condition but it all depends on the circumstances.

Comment

Re: APC for non-auto application

Just have to do a test spot.. make sure that the liquid doesnt give a discoloration, etc. But should be fine.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ended up just using Obenauf's leather oil to clean and condition the coat. Still using APC to good effect on leather footwear though. On that respect, I looked at the MSDS to try to determine if it offers any type of antimicrobial or bactericidal/bacteristatic effects but I'm just not sure. MSDS lists sodium metasilicate, butoxyethanol and mixed alkyl sulfates. Would this offer any type of marginal or otherwise antimicrobial cleaning or just detergent action only? I like how well it works on my duty boots but curious if it will be useful on the outsoles as well
            2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

Just a fun update for anybody interested. Tested APC (and simple green, actually) at 10:1 water:apc ratio in the lab the other day. Soaked blank antibiotic discs in the APC (and another in the simple green) solutions and placed them into lawns of inoculated agar plates. Simple green offered zero antimicrobial effects. Meg's APC did inhibit the two gram positive organisms but not the two gram negative organisms tested.

APC inhibits growth (no objective data) of both Bacillus cereus and Staphylococcus aureus but did not effect Escherichia coli or Pseudomonas aeruginosa after 48hrs at 37 celcius on TSA (agar). Just FYI.
              2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Buck91 View Post
                Just a fun update for anybody interested. Tested APC (and simple green, actually) at 10:1 water:apc ratio in the lab the other day. Soaked blank antibiotic discs in the APC (and another in the simple green) solutions and placed them into lawns of inoculated agar plates. Simple green offered zero antimicrobial effects. Meg's APC did inhibit the two gram positive organisms but not the two gram negative organisms tested.

APC inhibits growth (no objective data) of both Bacillus cereus and Staphylococcus aureus but did not effect Escherichia coli or Pseudomonas aeruginosa after 48hrs at 37 celcius on TSA (agar). Just FYI.

haha...awesome experiment! I can tell my patients to pick up some OTC Meguair's APC for topical treatments. New age in medicine treatment..!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');