• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Central Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Central Texas

Hello everyone!

My name is Skip and I live outside of Temple, TX. I currently drive a 2012 black on black Camaro 2LT/RS. All the chrome, including the wheels, have been plasti-dipped flat black. As much as I enjoy driving her daily, the real enjoyment for me is spending time keeping her looking better than she did when I bought her three years ago. For me, that is my therapy. Since I've had her I've done two paint corrections using Meguire's products. Next weekend, I'll be doing another paint correction with the following:
    1. Dawn wash
    2. Clay barring
    3. Meg 105
    4. Meg 205
    5. Meg 21 (first time using this)
    6. Meg High Tech Yellow Wax (first time using this also)

I'll plan on posting some before and after photos.
    Looking forward to learning more from all of you through the forums. A very happy and successful 2015 to everyone!!

Re: Greetings from Central Texas

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Also you should not be needing to do a full correction everytime. Once you compound all you really need to do is polish. Of course you have to follow proper wash techniques so you limit the amount of defects.

You will like M21/M26.

Don't forget to clean and dress the wheels and tires.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

to MOL Skip
      So you've had her going on three years now? And do a Paint Correction each year I'm I right?

I would like to know your routine for your Camaro that your having to do a paint correction each year?

Do You have any pics and close ups of your paint? And what machine, pads, towels your using?

M205 with the right technique and polishing pad can remove swirls and light scratches by itself or cutting pad then step down to a polishing pad while using M205, but your going/having to use M105 first.

Sorry so many questions, just trying to get a better understanding. And as for the dawn wash! I'm thinking that this paint is in bad shape and getting a since/visual picture of some paint finishes I've done that needed this type of work that was just nasty, but your car is just 3 years old?

Just trying to help you not be to aggressive when I don't think it is necessary!

And M21 & M26 are 2 great Products! As far as a LSP M26 Hi-Tech yellow Wax paste is my all time favorite for it's abilities!!! Just remember to apply very thin and to do the swipe test to see if it's ready to remove and wait (if at all possible) 12 hours before applying second coat. 2 coats of any wax or sealant for even coverage and it looks better to your eye's!
      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Kinder View Post
        to MOL Skip
        So you've had her going on three years now? And do a Paint Correction each year I'm I right?

I would like to know your routine for your Camaro that your having to do a paint correction each year?

Do You have any pics and close ups of your paint? And what machine, pads, towels your using?

M205 with the right technique and polishing pad can remove swirls and light scratches by itself or cutting pad then step down to a polishing pad while using M205, but your going/having to use M105 first.

Sorry so many questions, just trying to get a better understanding. And as for the dawn wash! I'm thinking that this paint is in bad shape and getting a since/visual picture of some paint finishes I've done that needed this type of work that was just nasty, but your car is just 3 years old?

Just trying to help you not be to aggressive when I don't think it is necessary!

And M21 & M26 are 2 great Products! As far as a LSP M26 Hi-Tech yellow Wax paste is my all time favorite for it's abilities!!! Just remember to apply very thin and to do the swipe test to see if it's ready to remove and wait (if at all possible) 12 hours before applying second coat. 2 coats of any wax or sealant for even coverage and it looks better to your eye's!
        No problem. I'll post a few photos soon. The paint is in excellent shape, I think. I'm using the griots six inch with the orange, white, and blue ccs pads.

I cannot type any more. There is a problem with typing. It takes forever to type one simple sentence.

Comment

Welcome to MOL!

Comment

I would do a test spot with the White polishing pad, M205 on speed 5 or 6 for a couple passes then lighten up and slow the speed down to 3 or 4 and make one or two finish passes then check your progress.

Remember to clean your pad often with a pad brush or at least a soft bristle brush and use terry towels to clean your pad on the fly and don't over load your pad with product. I also use a minimum of 3 pads on my 1st step. If the polishing pad doesn't do the job then switch over to the light cutting pad and light pressure and 2 to 3 section passes, again I always lighten up on pressure and speed on the last pass or 2.

Also you didn't mention if you clay your finish or even use clay, but should be the first step, I just recently started decontaminating paint after a wash using fresh water in a small gallon bucket with my D112 Super Soap and after I have thoroughly rinsed off all previous suds and dirt from surface. Save me time and money from having to dry off surface then spray D155 Last Touch down and clay then wipe off excess. Time is money or more time with family!!

Hope I've helped and looking forward to pics!

Comment

I would do a test spot with the White polishing pad, M205 on speed 5 or 6 for a couple passes then lighten up and slow the speed down to 3 or 4 and make one or two finish passes then check your progress.

Remember to clean your pad often with a pad brush or at least a soft bristle brush and use terry towels to clean your pad on the fly and don't over load your pad with product. I also use a minimum of 3 pads on my 1st step. If the polishing pad doesn't do the job then switch over to the light cutting pad and light pressure and 2 to 3 section passes, again I always lighten up on pressure and speed on the last pass or 2.

Also you didn't mention if you clay your finish or even use clay, but should be the first step, I just recently started decontaminating paint after a wash using fresh water in a small gallon bucket with my D112 Super Soap and after I have thoroughly rinsed off all previous suds and dirt from surface. Save me time and money from having to dry off surface then spray D155 Last Touch down and clay then wipe off excess. Time is money or more time with family!!

Hope I've helped and looking forward to pics!
              Thanks for the advice! Yes, I clay after washing with dawn. It's quite possible I can start with the M205 and forego the M105. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

I would not even bother with dawn since you are going to be polishing. Polishing will remove any previous wax.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Hey Skip,

So you use Dawn dish washing liquid! Do you use it for every wash or just when our doing a full detail?

Comment

Hey Skip,

So you use Dawn dish washing liquid! Do you use it for every wash or just when our doing a full detail?
                    Only when doing the full detail. I like to start with a clean pallet. Also, the washing gives me a chance to closely inspect the car prior to clay barring and polishing. Otherwise I wash with Meg gold using a foam gun followed up with the 2 bucket method.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');