• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass Boat Detail Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Boat Detail Help

I have a 2000 Fiberglass bass fishing boat that is in need of a detail job come spring. I am trying to learn now about all of the products and machines to use during winter as I need to do this in April. The boat was just purchased in August and is in very good condition. The top deck is a dark green color and has lost some of its sparkle and shine to do a little oxidation. There are also a few minor scratches. The rest of the boat is silver and just needs a good wax.

I just bought a Harbor Freight DA polisher and two foam pads, a compounding and a waxing one.

This is my plan for spring:

1. Wash and rinse boat with water and boat soap.
    2. Compound top deck with DA polisher
    3. 2 coats of wax.

My question is what products will best suit my needs? Origionally I was going to buy G17216 Ultimate Compound, but then I saw that there is one for marine applications- 67. Also, am I better with one of those or using 49- marine oxidation remover?

As far as a wax, I have used turtle wax paste before and it did a decent job. What would be the best to use with my DA polisher?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with the marine line but that's the way I suggest u go. Also u will need a few more pads to work the boat with but ill let the others inform u as to what kind and bout how many u will prob need. But if u were satisfied with turtle wax u will b more than happy with meguiars products. Not to bash them in any way but it is a huge step up in my book. Good luck with ur research as u came to the right place. Don't b afraid to ask questions OR to use the search engine here on MOL.

Comment

Re: Bass Boat Detail Help

I'm Sorry I wrote a a big description and went to post it and had to log back in and lost everything!!!!!!!!!! I'll post back tomorrow getting late and pretty aggravated on loosing everything

''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Hey procraft, sorry took so long to get back with you.

First get a couple 6.5'' wool pads, I keep a couple new ones in stock at all times. I've got used to this wool pad over the years and like it very well. LC-99-W, Lake Country twisted wool pads.

Next I would get the Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration system M4965. Use the wool pad with the M49 on speed 5 or 6 and use about 20+lbs pressure (fiberglass response better with lots of pressure) very important! get and use a spur often to keep your wool pads clean!

Use your foam pads for/with the M45, but fiberglass also responds better to cutting pads even for polishing. And get a foam pad brush and keep your foam pads brushed after every application or section your working on!

And last apply 2 coats of wax and you will be good to go, but also it's very important to keep your boat washed after every outing and spray some M59 Quike Wax to help protect. And it wouldn't hurt to use a mild AIO like M50 Cleaner/wax every couple months just to keep it in the best of shape.

Here's a couple pics of a houseboat I did over the summer and used the Harbor Frieght DA on most of it.
        Before and as you can see it was very badly oxidized and chalky with no gloss what so ever.

And after about 20 to 30 minutes with just this section in front of the HF DA.

Hope I've been of some help and if you need any more help or have any question's just ask and I will help. Have any pics of your boat?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Kinder View Post
          Hey procraft, sorry took so long to get back with you.

First get a couple 6.5'' wool pads, I keep a couple new ones in stock at all times. I've got used to this wool pad over the years and like it very well. LC-99-W, Lake Country twisted wool pads.

Next I would get the Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration system M4965. Use the wool pad with the M49 on speed 5 or 6 and use about 20+lbs pressure (fiberglass response better with lots of pressure) very important! get and use a spur often to keep your wool pads clean!

Use your foam pads for/with the M45, but fiberglass also responds better to cutting pads even for polishing. And get a foam pad brush and keep your foam pads brushed after every application or section your working on!

And last apply 2 coats of wax and you will be good to go, but also it's very important to keep your boat washed after every outing and spray some M59 Quike Wax to help protect. And it wouldn't hurt to use a mild AIO like M50 Cleaner/wax every couple months just to keep it in the best of shape.

Here's a couple pics of a houseboat I did over the summer and used the Harbor Frieght DA on most of it.
          Before and as you can see it was very badly oxidized and chalky with no gloss what so ever.

And after about 20 to 30 minutes with just this section in front of the HF DA.

Hope I've been of some help and if you need any more help or have any question's just ask and I will help. Have any pics of your boat?

Thanks for all of the help! Sorry for the delayed response, but I have spent all weekend trying out my new DA polisher on the cars. So if I buy the restoration kit, it gives me a bottle of #49, #45, and #56. Do you think that the #49 (oxidation remover) would be better than marine (#67) or the ultimate compound? What are the benefits of using the oxidation remover over a compound?

Comment

Hey Procraft!

Yeah that would be a good option and better for/on you. Get the #67 and then apply the #56 Mirror Glaze Boat/RV Pure Wax.

The benefits of #49 over #67 would be that the #49 is dedicated at removing dead, chalky oxidized, stained and neglected gel coat finish and is more aggressive then #67, which #67 has great cutting ability and also offers polishing oils to add the much needed resins back into the very porous gel coat finish so that will help cut you time down a lot and still give your boats finish a fantastic Gloss that is ready to apply the protection!

You can use foam pads over wool pads, but Don't use you pads that you used on your gel coat on auto finish and same for your boat products, they are way more aggressive then auto products!

Hope I've helped

Comment

Hey Procraft!

Yeah that would be a good option and better for/on you. Get the #67 and then apply the #56 Mirror Glaze Boat/RV Pure Wax.

The benefits of #49 over #67 would be that the #49 is dedicated at removing dead, chalky oxidized, stained and neglected gel coat finish and is more aggressive then #67, which #67 has great cutting ability and also offers polishing oils to add the much needed resins back into the very porous gel coat finish so that will help cut you time down a lot and still give your boats finish a fantastic Gloss that is ready to apply the protection!

You can use foam pads over wool pads, but Don't use you pads that you used on your gel coat on auto finish and same for your boat products, they are way more aggressive then auto products!

Hope I've helped
              Thanks again for the awesome help. I am going to start with #67 which will remove the minor oxidation and the dullness in color. Since it says that it has polish in the formula should I skip the #45 polish? I know many people do a a player of polish after compounding but before wax, but maybe it will be overkill in my situation. After runs with the boat I will be using a spray wax on a microfiber towel to keep on top of the gel coat during the season as I keep the boat in the water and doing a true wax with the DA polisher is difficult as well as dangerous (water + electricity = no no). Thank you again for all of the help you cleared up so many questions!

Comment

Yeah you can skip the #45 if you want but remember that the #45's job is to help remove contaminants from the gel coat's pores and nourish with oils that will help produce richness and make that gel coat vibrant and give those darker colored boats that deep wet look. Don't get me wrong the #67 does contain oils that will help nourish your gel coat but my feelings on a product that does 2 jobs in one, unless the upkeep has been maintained regular! is that it more or less prolongs the detail of finish until you have the time to do a full polishing to correct the issues at hand and bring back to a like new or better condition.

Now I also now that some people just want's a clean finish without water spots and some shine or simple doesn't have the time with work, family and things but I was just giving 2 ways to go at this detail and my thoughts and reasoning.

And yes please use #52 Quik Clean Mist & Wipe in between your details and after each boat outing to keep your boat looking clean and shiny. And since you mentioned that your going to keep your boat at the marina, knowing how everyone knows everyone and watches out for there boats and things. That will also be a big plus for you come time to resale or maybe trade up to another boater at the marina because everyone will know that you take care of your boat and that will add value to not only your boat but your name!

Now about using electrical machines and or tools around your boat while it's in the water! If I hadn't went to lowes and got this GFCI before I started polishing the houseboat over the summer I wouldn't be typing this info out to you right now! Was standing on my plateform ladder working high up as I could on the bottom of the boat and had my DA plugged into my 100ft 12GA. extension cord when all of a sudden my DA stopped working, I froze because I just knowed what happened! I looked down and there was my DA cord and extension connected ends in the lake about a foot or so! That God I bought this GFCI, it cut power off and kept me from getting electrocuted. So it's money while spent and will save your life!!!!! Here's the link and what saved mine.

Did have it over more when polishing on it but you get the idea, in betwwen the strap and rope at the end, just don't get to busy and focus on getting the job finish. Always know what's around you and how far/inches, feet you can move safely!!

Hope I've helped and you can learn from my mistake, be careful have fun and keep that boat looking great!!

Comment

Yeah you can skip the #45 if you want but remember that the #45's job is to help remove contaminants from the gel coat's pores and nourish with oils that will help produce richness and make that gel coat vibrant and give those darker colored boats that deep wet look. Don't get me wrong the #67 does contain oils that will help nourish your gel coat but my feelings on a product that does 2 jobs in one, unless the upkeep has been maintained regular! is that it more or less prolongs the detail of finish until you have the time to do a full polishing to correct the issues at hand and bring back to a like new or better condition.

Now I also now that some people just want's a clean finish without water spots and some shine or simple doesn't have the time with work, family and things but I was just giving 2 ways to go at this detail and my thoughts and reasoning.

And yes please use #52 Quik Clean Mist & Wipe in between your details and after each boat outing to keep your boat looking clean and shiny. And since you mentioned that your going to keep your boat at the marina, knowing how everyone knows everyone and watches out for there boats and things. That will also be a big plus for you come time to resale or maybe trade up to another boater at the marina because everyone will know that you take care of your boat and that will add value to not only your boat but your name!

Now about using electrical machines and or tools around your boat while it's in the water! If I hadn't went to lowes and got this GFCI before I started polishing the houseboat over the summer I wouldn't be typing this info out to you right now! Was standing on my plateform ladder working high up as I could on the bottom of the boat and had my DA plugged into my 100ft 12GA. extension cord when all of a sudden my DA stopped working, I froze because I just knowed what happened! I looked down and there was my DA cord and extension connected ends in the lake about a foot or so! That God I bought this GFCI, it cut power off and kept me from getting electrocuted. So it's money while spent and will save your life!!!!! Here's the link and what saved mine.
                  http://www.lowes.com/pd_145277-33536...rds&facetInfo=

Did have it over more when polishing on it but you get the idea, in betwwen the strap and rope at the end, just don't get to busy and focus on getting the job finish. Always know what's around you and how far/inches, feet you can move safely!!

Hope I've helped and you can learn from my mistake, be careful have fun and keep that boat looking great!!
                  Wow that must have been scary! Luckily I have an outlet right on the end of my dock if I feel the need to whip out the DA mid season. I will check out that GFCI at lowes as it seems like a must when working near water.

I am going to purchase the #45 as well because even if I do not need it the first time after the compound, I am going to want to use if before wax next time when there is no compounding that needs to be done. I also agree that even though the #67 has polishing oils in the compound, another layer of polish will make a difference and couldn't possibly do any harm so why not. The boat has a lot of dark green and gold parts and the polish will really bring out the gloss in the colors. I wish I could figure out how to upload pics on here but I only see an option to do so via a url.

I can't thank you enough for all of your help. I started off here knowing nothing and now I can not wait for spring to test out all of these products!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');