• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hood issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood issues

I have a 99 silverado
    The paint is ok with normal wear and tear scratches. I am not too concerned with trying to make it like new.
    The hood was starting to get a little chaulky so I decided to clay bar, polish and wax after I washed it
    The rest of the truck came out flawless however the hood as gotten extremely worse. I made the mistake of polishing in the morning while still damp. I came back later that night and re polished then waxed and it has gotten worse, while the rest of the truck looks great. Any input on how to fix this? I'll try to attach pics of the hood later this evening. Is appears as if the polish pools when I use the buffer and settles to the whitish grey finish. I believe the paint is ok under just the polish has hardened over the paint. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of hand polishing to help refresh and reliqiufy the polish. Or use rubbing compound to remove it. Or worse comes to worse repaint the hood

Re: Hood issues

Welcome.

Pics would be helpful. Also what actual products did you use.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      Welcome.

Pics would be helpful. Also what actual products did you use.
      I don't know how to get them from my phone on to here lol. I used a mothers clay bar with their showtime detailer and Megs ultimate polish with Megs synthetic wax

Comment

You are going to have to post them from your PC or upload them to photobucket and upload the link to them.

Ultimate polish may not have enough correcting/cleaning ability to remove what sounds like oxidation. You may want to consider going to ultimate compound or white wax. Once you get your photos uploaded we can help you figure out what to try.

Also do not let ultimate compound or ultimate polish dry on the paint.

What color is the truck?
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

You are going to have to post them from your PC or upload them to photobucket and upload the link to them.

Ultimate polish may not have enough correcting/cleaning ability to remove what sounds like oxidation. You may want to consider going to ultimate compound or white wax. Once you get your photos uploaded we can help you figure out what to try.

Also do not let ultimate compound or ultimate polish dry on the paint.

What color is the truck?
          I feel that's what happened, the wax may have dried. It's a black truck unfortunately haha. I was wondering if there was an easy fix before I decided to paint the hood.

Comment

Did you allow the polish to dry on the paint? How long did you work the polish before trying to wipe it off?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
              Did you allow the polish to dry on the paint? How long did you work the polish before trying to wipe it off?
              i would wipe immediately after applying the polish. I would work the polish 3 or four full passes with the buffer. The hood looks like the polish was liquified and dried like that

Comment

Strange. The hood is cool to the touch meaning you're not working in the sunlight right? Try using a bit of the Showtime Quik Detailer that came with your claybar kit. That usually helps with wiping off polish.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                  Strange. The hood is cool to the touch meaning you're not working in the sunlight right? Try using a bit of the Showtime Quik Detailer that came with your claybar kit. That usually helps with wiping off polish.
                  I tried that earlier
                  it helped a little but barely enough to notice
                  the hood was cool enough to be worked. I feel the detailer mixed with the water And polish from the morninf moisture and dried to make a new layer

Comment

Ultimate was doesn't haze or dry like a typical wax. At least not the liquid version. So you should not be seeing any white residue from it. If anything you would see streaking from it if it was applied thick. I'm not sure about the paste version since I never used it. With ultimate wax you want to apply it very thin.

Try polishing one small area and see if it removes it. Work it in a little but no to much where it is going to dry on you. Wipe it off and see how it looks.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Ultimate was doesn't haze or dry like a typical wax. At least not the liquid version. So you should not be seeing any white residue from it. If anything you would see streaking from it if it was applied thick. I'm not sure about the paste version since I never used it. With ultimate wax you want to apply it very thin.

Try polishing one small area and see if it removes it. Work it in a little but no to much where it is going to dry on you. Wipe it off and see how it looks.
                      The ultimate polish seems to be the reason for the issue
                      the synthetic wax helped but not enough to Truly notice it

Comment

Here are some pics of the hood finally. The one from the front does seem a little extreme, but you can better see the "pooling", the side view is better showing the damage. I intend to try and do what The Guz said earlier and working in very small areas to try and repolish and remove the issue

Comment

Ill try and find a before pic, but there was only some chalkiness going on, not extreme discoloration or white/grey damage as in the pics above

Comment

The ultimate compound seems to have the same effect of those pooling marks, but with less whitish remainder. Im
                            not concerned of the paint is shot like I said. I can repaint it. Just don't want to spend any more money on compounding products.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');