• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to detailing, I could use some help as I'm completely lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to detailing, I could use some help as I'm completely lost

Hi everybody,

I just started cleaning cars this year, but that's all I'm doing- getting them cleaner. I'd like to do a thorough detailing, and I think that I came to the right place. Anyway, how do I get the results that you guys do? Looking on Meguiar's website, I am overwhelmed with the amount of products. How do I turn paint that's covered with swirls and scratches into something that looks brand new? What do I need to use on the interior? What products do I actually need for a detail? What's the difference between all of these products? I know that these questions are really broad, but I quickly got overwhelmed when looking around and was hoping for some help.

Re: New to detailing, I could use some help as I'm completely lost

Welcome.

A lot of us use a machine (Dual Action Polisher) to remove swirls. We also use the proper washing techniques to avoid them as much as possible. Just to get you started try watching some of these videos.

You have a couple tools at your disposal. A Dual Action Polisher or the DA Power System.

If you are looking for product recommendation I would recommend you pick up the entire ultimate line for the exterior.

This kit has everything you need. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...undle/29670206

These are some additional interior products that you may want to consider:

Quik Interior Detailer - This has some light cleaning ability and will not alter the appearance. It will leave some UV protection behind. You can stop here or you can follow up with a protectant for more UV protection
    Leather Sealer System - Recommended if you have leather anywhere in the interior.
    Odor Eliminator - Meguiar's Odor Eliminator or the Air Re-fresher Odor Eliminator
    Carpets & Upholstery Cleaner - For carpets and cloth interior
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I second Mike's recommendations with the added caution not to start buying lots of different products & brands; in the heat of the moment it's easy to accumulate stuff you'll hardly ever use. Start small, stay focused on what you want to accomplish.

Comment

Agree with The Guz, he recommed that same Wal Mart kit to get started and it was the perfect kit for getting started. It gave me time to work with a few of the up line Meg consumer line products and come here and ask questions and get educated on what I really wanted. Now I have a whole collection of the professional line because I found I was using alot of those products such as quick detailer and quick wax and it is cheaper but it gave me a chance to learn about them first.

I did learn early on that after I got started that I wanted a dual action polisher and after I got one the results are night and day. I always thought that hand cleaning was the best way, but after being part of these detailing community, you will quickly learn that for polishing, your best results will come from a dual action polisher. I ended up with the Griots Garage with a 5 1/2 pad and like it a lot. I mainly clean for myself and friends and family.

Good luck, you are in the right place. And there are deals to be had this time of year for buying products.
        2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
        2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
        2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

I will 2nd (3rd, 4th?) the suggestion to get the Ultimate Line. Some of these products have twins in the Professional Line which can save you money by buying in bulk, but that is for later once you get a grip on the products' uses and decide which products you do and don't like.

The Guz gave you some excellent reading material and I suggest you go over it a few times. Also, anything you can find from the "Mikes" (Stoops, Phillips and Pennington) won't steer you wrong.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

U start out like the rest of us but soon u will b just as OCD as us. But start with what the guz gave u. It's excellent starter kit! I remember when explorer started like u, now he's jumped so fast to the too of the list as far as buying products and such, lol!!!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');