• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Windshield

I'm having issues with visibility with my windshield when its raining and when the sun is glaring through. The oncoming traffics light during rain makes it blurry or hazy in certain parts of the windshield. Unfortunately, its in the area in front of the drivers side! I notice when the wipers blades are turned on, water seems to be sticking to those areas where I'm having visibility issues. My car is still fairly new, 2013 Honda Accord so I don't believe the wipers are the issue (never replaced). The condensation in the morning and the sun glaring through the windshield makes it difficult to drive. Ultimately, I think I'm having issue with water or moisture sticking to the glass surface, but I could be wrong. When the surface is dry, I have no problem at all. I took some pictures of windshield surface before and after with the things I did.

These are some of the things I tried to do to see if it fixed the problem; Wash the windshield with Meguiar car wash (didnt work), wash with palm olive dish detergent as a degreaser (didnt work), clay bar with Mothers California Clay Bar kit (surface is smoother, wont know visibility until it rains next time). After clay baring, I didn't use any sealant or wax. Maybe you can suggest products I can get at a local Walmart or Autozone. Was thinking about getting Chemical Guys Jet Seal or Rain-X if I know the exact cause of the problem.

The problems I think that might of caused this; I used Spot-X to remove water spots on the glass about 5-6 months ago (maybe it scratched the surface), I park under a tree at work that releases sap (could be tree mist sap) got into glass pores. Any suggestion from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Worst case is to replace the windshield. Thanks!

Re: Help with Windshield

I had a very similar situation with my new windshield, that was put in after a crack developed on my original. The replacement windshield was brand new and so not etched or scratched....BUT something almost greasy was on it. Cleaned it with Windex, clayed, tried Invisible Glass (what a waste of money,) and was about to buy new wipers when I saw this stuff, made by Permatex. http://www.permatex.com.au/_products...pper-1451.aspx That just happens to be an Ozzy site I googled, but it is available in North America. It is a windshield stripper and if you follow the directions I bet your problem will go away. I cleaned my windshield, and cleaned my year or so old wipers, and the clarity of the windshield now in the rain is amazing.

Might take two applications...and you really have to scrub....but it WORKS!!!! Avoid scrubbing any paint, although it will not hurt your paint or wax when you rinse it off the windshield.

Comment

Windshield wipers are an item that degrade rather quickly, with 6 months being a long time for them to last let alone having factory 2013's still on in nearly 2015. You mentioned you park under a tree, tree sap is some nasty stuff that can come down in blobs, a mist or a solution mixed in with rainwater ... this will foul up the operation of your wipers quickly. I might suggest either insanely-frequent windshield cleaning or the use of Rain-X. With the Rain-X, the first few swipes of the wipers may be smeary & dirty and you will almost be able to see the sap wiping off the glass - then it will be nice and clear. I park near a tree (downwind) and I use Rain-X supplemented by Ultimate Quik Wax and my visibility is fine.
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Welcome.

I would definitely change the wipers.

Check this video out. This should help you out.

This is a quick video about how to clean your glass during a detailing session. (specifically the windshield) It all depends on how "dirty" the glass is...b...
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
          Windshield wipers are an item that degrade rather quickly, with 6 months being a long time for them to last let alone having factory 2013's still on in nearly 2015. ....the use of Rain-X. With the Rain-X, the first few swipes of the wipers may be smeary & dirty and you will almost be able to see the sap wiping off the glass - then it will be nice and clear. I park near a tree (downwind) and I use Rain-X supplemented by Ultimate Quik Wax and my visibility is fine.
          Don, I have a 13 with the original blades. Not sure what Honda uses, but my car must have very good wipers. 50k through heat, wind, rain, snow and ice, and they are perfect. Most people just neglect wipers....good wipers, with a little TLC last a LONG time. A lot of people have dirty windshields and blame their wipers. As for Rain X...I used it once and as far as I am concerned it is PAIN X. I would rather put Vaseline on my windshield. Probably work better too!!!

Comment

I have good luck with doing clay (probably not needed again right away), Ult. Compound, glass cleaner, then RainX.

And RainX is pretty easy if you treat it like Ult. Wax, and remove with a damp cloth then a dry cloth.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to believe it could be severe hard water stains baked and etched in. The sap should of been taken off with the clay bar. I clay bar it twice the same day with no results. I thought the Spot-X I used this summer might of got rid of the water spots but it seems as though it didn't. Someone suggested me to use Rain-X Xtreme Clean (with microfiber applicator and elbow grease) and follow up with IPA wipes then seal it with either Rain-X or Aquapel.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');