• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I think my friend ruined his clear coat (2008 Fit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I think my friend ruined his clear coat (2008 Fit)

Yesterday I was helping my friend detail his car. I was using my Meguiars G110 V2 with the yellow buffing pads, and 105 compound. His car had a roof rack that had left green rectangles and deep scratches in the paint. Things were going well and I had to step away for a bit, and I asked him if he wanted to try. I explained to him what to do, but was horrified when I came back. He had the polisher set all the way to 6, and he had obviously not moved it around like I said. The yellow pad had turned a blackish color in the center and there was a spot left in the paint. Did he burn through the clear coat? Is there a way to fix this without it getting worse or causing the clear coat to peel? The car is storm silver metallic

Re: Help! I think my friend ruined his clear coat (2008 Fit)

Originally posted by curryitr View Post
    Yesterday I was helping my friend detail his car. I was using my Meguiars G110 V2 with the yellow buffing pads, and 105 compound. His car had a roof rack that had left green rectangles and deep scratches in the paint. Things were going well and I had to step away for a bit, and I asked him if he wanted to try. I explained to him what to do, but was horrified when I came back. He had the polisher set all the way to 6, and he had obviously not moved it around like I said. The yellow pad had turned a blackish color in the center and there was a spot left in the paint. Did he burn through the clear coat? Is there a way to fix this without it getting worse or causing the clear coat to peel? The car is storm silver metallic

Unfortunately so . if you look around where he burned through the clear, you can see the surrounding area of where the pad started to heat up and slowly take off more clear/paint.

Comment

Is there a way to spot treat that with some aerosol clear coat? Is it going to start peeling?

Comment

Glad it was his car and not yours.
        2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Why would a beginner even put it on 6 speed on the first place? Good thing he was the one that did the damage.

Comment

Tell him to put the roof rack on to cover it up, and forget about it. And, don't let him near a power tool (any) again.

Comment

Well... He threw it away. Is there a way to stop this spot from spreading?

Comment

Be sure not to polish that area. It will make it spread even more. You could mask it with some M7 and a sealant but it will still come back. The only fix is a repaint.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Reliant cuz it will get worse with time

Comment

You can wax over the spot to protect what is left, but unfortunately a repaint is the only way to repair the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry90 View Post
                      Why would a beginner even put it on 6 speed on the first place? Good thing he was the one that did the damage.
                      Perhaps because he was a beginner and didn't have the experience to know better? Lol

Seriously though, we all have to learn somehow. Sometimes the best lessons are the toughest like this example of removing too much paint.

I'm fairly sure he won't make the same error again after seeing the result and paying for the repair.

Comment

I would go talk to a paint shop for any recommendations but they would say repaint. Too fix on the cheap and to at least prolong the clear coat from failure as long as possible I would clean area and at least several inches around the damage from the pad itself with IPA and use ONLY 50%!! not 70% or 91%!! and mix 40/60 with water. That way you will have more water then IPA and be close to about 15% to 17% IPA No More! This is to remove any and all polishing oils, waxes and/or grease and dirt so you will have a clean surface to work on.

Next get some painters paper and fold in half but DO NOT FOLD FLAT!! You want it to bow out like your making ribbons, so now tape it out about 4 inches or so out from the damaged area. And do this around the whole area so it is boxed in but have the ribbons facing in towards the damage clear coat.

Now you can do One of two things here, (up to you) use 3000grit or 5000grit foam paper (get at walmart in the detailing isle where the paint is) and very lightly go over area a couple times to make sure there isn't any spots with flakes and to be sure it's smooth as possible for proper adhesive of the clear that your going to spray. or just spray, I'd LIGHTLY wet sand with the 3000 grit.

I have a can of RUST-OLEUM automotive enamel clear #257884 Gloss That I have for applying Clear over headlights that I'm going to be testing with and also touch ups, You could get you a can of this @ auto-zone (where I got mine from) And then lightly apply 3 to 4 light coats over area, and allow proper time in between each coat of clear. Now this isn't going to be a cure just a touch-up to more or less prolong any clear coat failure but will look a lot better then it does now!

Also do not apply any wax or sealant over this area for at least a month or so maybe longer, for the clear to outgas. But you can and I advise you to get a bottle of #7 Show Car Glaze, (it's just a pure polish) and apply over area after dried for several hours since the temps are pretty cold. Apply very, very lightly! and then with your micro fiber towel folded into forths wipe over area but not trying to remove #7 in one pass, but with 2 or even 3 passes.

I'm about 45 minutes from you and come up that way pretty often, could stop by one weekend and check up on area if you would like? Hope I've helped
                        ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                        You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                        Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Daniel,

GREAT job of explaining!

Bill

Comment

Daniel,

Thank you for the awesome instructions. Me and my friend are located in morehead, but are in ashland, Ky a lot too. Will you be around the area anytime soon?

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                              Daniel,

GREAT job of explaining!

Bill
                              Thanks BillE, Appreciate your comments Sir!

Daniel,

Thank you for the awesome instructions. Me and my friend are located in morehead, but are in ashland, Ky a lot too. Will you be around the area anytime soon?
                              Pm me your number I will give you a text with mine and we can make arrangements sometime. I was just over in morehead about 3 weeks ago, seen this over at the O reilly's auto parts store and had to take a picture. This was bad!!!!

and a close up, looks like they was trying to learn how to use a rotary and started on the door. The top is hopeless but the bottom can be saved.
                              ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                              You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                              Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');