• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Random Orbital the same as Dual Action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Random Orbital the same as Dual Action?

It seems like DA is the way to go for beginners.

A friend gave me this for free.
    Is this basically the same as DA?
    Or should I avoid using this?

Re: Is Random Orbital the same as Dual Action?

A dual action polishers (Megs G110, PC7424 or Griot's) offers a lot more than that random obital polisher. The one your friend gave you is basically a wax spreader, but it has no if not very little power for paint correction. That is still very usable, but be mindful of what pad or bonnet you have to use for the wax or sealant you plan to use.

Comment

This is a random orbital or in other terms a ''wax spreader'' and really isn't no were near the power output has a DA. But when used with the proper techniques you can remove some swirls and light scratches.

Over 15 years ago I first started with one of these and taught myself over the years, how to get pretty good results even when used on clear coat! Now nothing like todays hard clear coat like on some newer chevy's or vettes but none the less I learned how to use the wax spreader, SMAT Products, foam bonnets and removed 3000 grit sanding scratches. Had a thread with 34 pictures showing before, during and after but it's gone? Now I did run into type 2 water spots that it didn't remove with M80 but with the new SMAT Products and some sanding it could have finished nicely!

If it was free then you don't have anything to loose, so use it until you get the new MT300 DA Meguiars just come out with, it is amazing!! Just go get 3 or 4 FOAM bonnets ( the only way to remove defects! with the wax spreader) and Ultimate Compound. Look over in the how to video's and look for how to remove swirls with a DA or how to use a DA. Or post back and I or someone will help guide you through it.
      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

It sounds like I will just toss this in the trash, and stick with buying a DA polisher.
        Wax can just as easily be spread by hand.. I am interested in polishing with a DA.

Comment

Don't throw it out. If you are not doing serious paint correction, and just applying a polish, that unit is the perfect tool. Other than the Meguirs little DA I attach to my drill for spot corrections, all I use is a little random orbital unit similar to the one you pictured. Why waste the money on a big, expensive, fancy DA machine, if you don't need it. If you are in the business of detailing then yes, but just the average person.....well each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by MaintenanceFirst_ModsLast MaintenanceFi View Post
            It sounds like I will just toss this in the trash, and stick with buying a DA polisher.
            Wax can just as easily be spread by hand.. I am interested in polishing with a DA.
            Please don't throw away! Play it forward, it was given too you to use and if your not going to use it don't waste it!

Find a little boy or girl that don't have much and go buy a couple bonnets, a bottle of Meguiars cleaner/wax and maybe a cheap bag of microfiber towels and give it to them! Spend $20.00? and maybe you might be helping a child start learning this great Art of detailing and/or helping them earn some extra money, but don't throw away...

Comment

I don't like keeping unused stuff cluttering my garage.

Ok, I'll either give it back, or give it away.
              I don't see the big benefit of a wax spreader, when I can just wipe it on easily.

Comment

Just to clarify, if I am NOT doing deep paint correction, but just basic polishing to remove oxidation, haze, and maybe light swirling,
                then do I use a DA or an orbital? I like DA since you can not damage the paint. EVERY car I have ever polished with a tool has ended up with MASSIVE swirls.
                So, I now refuse to ever use a tool, and will do it by hand, but I heard DA is foolproof. Is this random orbital foolproof, or can it ruin the paint clear?

Comment

Originally posted by MaintenanceFirst_ModsLast MaintenanceFi View Post
                  Just to clarify, if I am NOT doing deep paint correction, but just basic polishing to remove oxidation, haze, and maybe light swirling,
                  then do I use a DA or an orbital? I like DA since you can not damage the paint. EVERY car I have ever polished with a tool has ended up with MASSIVE swirls.
                  So, I now refuse to ever use a tool, and will do it by hand, but I heard DA is foolproof. Is this random orbital foolproof, or can it ruin the paint clear?
                  1st question: You can use either or but the orbital has it's limits! An orbital just takes longer and about 10 to 12lbs pressure is all your going to get, if your foam bonnet isn't loaded up with product and cleaned often! (Same as a DA foam pad!) but to say that all these tools are good for is to spread wax, is a understatement!! Now your not going to get near the finish with a orbital that you can with a DA and some harder clears like the vette for one will laugh at a orbital! For that matter it laughs at DA'S too, unless you know your technique's and products!

Let's take 2 different guy's, and a Black hood with swirls and hasn't been cared for. Apply a piece of tape from top to bottom for a 50/50 test! 1st guy is very good with a DA and knows how to work the products, speeds, pressure, arm movement and so on! Now take the 2nd guy that as very little experience with a DA and products as well as technique's and basically just knows what he has read and heard from other people and not had time or even tried to see for his self and/or test out things to better his ability!

Now take the same scenario but switch to orbital's, the guy that know's how to use use products and has an understanding of technique's is going to produces a decent finish that looks alot better then when started! Now guy #2 is going to try to use the orbital like a DA and apply to much pressure! work it to fast! to much product that in turn will load the foam bonnet up with to much product and lessen the orbiting action of the weaker machine and just jiggling and not spinning to let the product and foam material do there job!

I didn't need to write out the scenario's but just trying to get my point across that TECHNIQUE & KNOWLEDGE is what gets results not just relying on MACHINES & PRODUCTS!! I see it and hear it way to much on detailing forums everyday, how you need to buy Brand-X product to remove them swirls from that paint type or your not going to do it, or if you don't follow up with this your not going to get a good clear finish. These are the guy's that are depending on the products to do the work for them and without the products they can't produce the same results! What's that say about there ability as a Detailer, Professional or week-end warrior? And then they repeat what they know! On & On & On

Now switch up over to product! "They say" Meguiar's Consumer line product can't finish, produce or remove swirls and scratches like Brand-X can? Oh Really. I've got 2 threads on here that are showing before and after pics of these consumer products and they turned out pretty good. Michael Stoops has a fantastic thread on here with a video showing before and after with White Wax a consumer product that really get's talked about, and he showed just how great of a job it did.

Now if your just going to do this once or twice a year? I don't see no since in you spending a couple hundred dollar's or more unless you just want to, but first until you get a little better with the fundamentals of compounds,polishes and waxes (what we well help you with) I think with us helping you you should stick to the orbital and pick up some foam bonnet's & terry bonnets as well as White Wax (has more cleaning ability) & Black Wax (has more polish oils for a deeper, richer look> but yet still offers some cleaning ability)and some decent micro fiber towels. Have you got a sam's club or Costco's around?

Or pick up a bottle of Ultimate Polish, also most auto- zone's/ advanced auto parts/ Harbor Freight has Meguiars M205 ( which is what I think you should get because it's not as aggressive as Ultimate Compound and is full of polishing oils and with the orbital and foam bonnet, will produce a very nice finish> Did this same Combo back in 2008 on a red late model trans-am clear coat hood and had amazing results with a fantastic reflection shot of the bottle of M205!

Again sorry for posting such a long reply but just trying to not only tell you but explain to you the reason's behind my thought's and recommendations so you can get better results for not to much cash with Meguiars products that you can go buy locally without any special ordering. If your interested in using what you have and getting better results get back with me and I will help you get started.

Comment

Originally posted by MaintenanceFirst_ModsLast MaintenanceFi:556371
                    Just for the record, people have ruined their paint by hand too.

I worked with a guy at a car wash. He was trying to remove some scratches from the hood of his BMW with some heavy grit compound. The compound was from the local car was supplier, and he ended up down to the primer.

That machine will work fine with pure polishes, cleaner waxes, etc. It will save you a lot of labor regardless, than by working by hand.

Comment

This might go out of content; but does Meguiars da have the power to remove sanding marks that I want to perform on scratches with a 2000 grit and then follow with a 2500 grit paper?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry90 View Post
                        This might go out of content; but does Meguiars da have the power to remove sanding marks that I want to perform on scratches with a 2000 grit and then follow with a 2500 grit paper?
                        In general: yes.

It depends on the paint and what products / pads you use, but it's definitely possible.
                        Originally posted by Blueline
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I want to use Meguiars 5 inch microfiber correction kit.

Comment

Yep, you shouldn't have a problem.
                            Originally posted by Blueline
                            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Have no use for a wax spreader. I can spread wax on a panel in 4 seconds. Gonna toss out the random orbital. Seems like 1990s technology that no one needs anymore. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');