• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Paste Wax - short term update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Paste Wax - short term update

I applied UPW to my car roughly 4 weeks ago, 1 coat on one day, then 2 coats the next day spaced 8 hours apart. Since then, the car has been driven a few hundred miles, through the rain, and most recently through the snow/slush/salt. Right now the temps are supposed to get in the mid 40s with rain. The 3-6 inches of snow we had gotten is melting and since I didn't clean off the roof of the car, the water is running down the sides and 1/2 of the roof is clear of snow.

The car has the appearance of having just been washed and the beading is very close to what it was right after application of the UPW. The water is just beading up and running right off, I would almost think that all I would have to do is rinse the rest of the snow off the car and then dry it, it looks that clean. Just to be clear, the car has not been touched in any way, no QDs, no UQW, nothing, not even a rinse off since the applications of the UPW ~a month ago. The Ultimate Paste is definitely a keeper.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Re: Ultimate Paste Wax - short term update

Nice update. Seems to be holding up quite well in the snowy conditions. Are you planning to spray wax during this time or just seeing how long it lasts with nothing on it?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      Nice update. Seems to be holding up quite well in the snowy conditions. Are you planning to spray wax during this time or just seeing how long it lasts with nothing on it?
      It all depends on what Mother Nature throws at us this winter, granted right now the temps are up a bit, but it's raining and I don't have a garage (the wife confiscated my man cave ). So most likely I will be going for a straight durability "test." I had also noticed that after driving in the salt slush, after everything dried, the salt spray was in a water beading type pattern ... that was a first for me, so far all my other waxes were simply coated with the salt and didn't "bead up" as the UPW did. So far, the UPW is outperforming anything else I've tried, I cant wait to get my hands on the 365 Protection that Meguiars is now putting out to try it.
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Sounds like UPW is doing it's thing. Keep us posted. 365 will be good for sure for you guys in the snowy elements.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

After more than 2 years since Ultimate Wax was released, I finally got myself the Ultimate Paste Wax just yesterday. Tried it now, application is slightly easier and thinner than the NXT 2.0, and smells un-wax like. Compared to the NXT 2.0, Ultimate seems to have a glassier, more polished look. I'll have to wait 12 hours before applying another coat, then we'll see how good this product is.. However, the included microfiber could be better. I have older, non-meguiars microfibers that are softer.

If this is as durable as I hope, this will now be "the wax" for me. For ease of use, availability in most stores, shine and overall value.

Comment

Originally posted by ffboy View Post
            , and smells un-wax like.
            Love the application and removal, the look on my black car, and the longevity....but I really hate that smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
              Love the application and removal, the look on my black car, and the longevity....but I really hate that smell.
              I think you've just been spoiled by the good smells of megs other recent waxes
              Don
              12/27/2015
              "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Having used this Ultimate on a dark colored car, it does have good depth while having sharp, crisp reflections. Same pleasant experience... Easy to use, and no smearing...

It does feel real slick after curing, however, having enough experience with NXT 2.0, there are certain aspects where NXT 2.0 has an advantage. Some older paint, I feel the NXT 2.0 looks better, making the paint look thicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                  I think you've just been spoiled by the good smells of megs other recent waxes
                  No, I really like the smell of older waxes like M16 and that solvent smell. "I love the smell of VOC in the morning".

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                    No, I really like the smell of older waxes like M16 and that solvent smell. "I love the smell of VOC in the morning".

I kind of like the "crayon - waxy" type smell of the nonscented waxes too and I was pleasantly surprised by the smell of UPW.
                    Don
                    12/27/2015
                    "Darth Camaro"

Comment

The new, sweet smelling waxes/sealants (Ultimate, NXT 2.0, etc., etc.) I find a bit strange. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe not, but if that's the way many products are going, well, so be it. As long as it works as advertised, I think I can live with it.

Maybe the reason is that it is the natural scent of the synthetic polymers/ingredients in these "modern" products. But there is a certain charm in the solvent like smell in older style paste waxes..

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');