• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, when am I ready to step up to a DA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, when am I ready to step up to a DA?

I'm relatively new to the car detailing thing, just having recently picked it up to make my car pop for car shows. I've been compounding, polishing, and waxing with a cheap ($19.00) Wal-Mart purchased orbital buffer with foam bonnets. When is it good to make the transition to a DA system? How can I keep the cost low and still make my car pop without holograms or burning through the paint? Are the Harbor Freight Polishers (http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers.html) worth looking at for a start?
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Re: So, when am I ready to step up to a DA?

Hard to say when it's time to move onto a DA. If you want more correction and better results then it is time. I recommend watching the videos on here on how to use a DA as well as Mike Phillips videos on youtube under the autgeek channel.

The only harbor freight DA worth the money is this one. It is recommended to get a better backing plate than the one that comes with it. I would actually recommend a 5" backing plate.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

For a pads you really can't beat this deal. You can add the new 5" backing plate to this package.

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is that you can go with the DA power system if you are not ready to take the leap to a DA.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I agree with Guz but I just did the math on 2) different options.

1) Harbor Freight DA $60.00 + 5" Backing Plate $18.00 + Meguiars new disk $55 + S/H $7.00= $140.00 > HF DA is going to pick up, now they also have Meguiar's M205 (hint,hint,wink,wink) Then the warranty for an extra $19.99 for 1 year I beleive? So if you get it that total's it up to $160.00!
        *Now like Guz mentioned you need a 5" Backing Plate and you might as well get the best so go with the new Meguiars foam disk's. My recommendation 4) yellow>polishing & 2) black>finishing. now if you don't get anything else your S/H will be $6.95 So your looking at $160.00 and some change!
        But your going to need some great Micro fiber towels and these have been what I've used for many years and love them, here's the link on them but right now he's
        out http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/x2020.html

2)This 7424XP Porter Cable $129.95(on sale)http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...-polisher.html + Meguiars 5'' foam disks $55.00 http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...ch-bundle.html, Now this DA doesn't come with the 5'' Backing plate for the new Meguiars foam disk but it's free with the 7424XP ($17.99 value) just ask Rick (Real nice guy) if you can substitute for the Meguar's 5'' Backing Plate that the new foam disk require's, maybe he might do it for a few extra bucks? I already added $5.00 extra in on my total! So your looking at a total of $190.00 free S/H on orders over $125.00!

My conclusion is that for $35.00 more you can get a better balance DA then the HF and don't vibrate nearly as bad as the HF(I'm not knocking the HF DA I've got it and use it alot but my opinion: If it comes down to which one I use more comfortable day in and day out, My hands and forearm with thank me for choosing the 7424XP. Plus your new on the softer side Black Paint don't need the extra power the HF DA does have! And $35.00 isn't that much more for quality and proven performance! Ask Joe, Superior Shine. He's got like 15 or 20 something and I believe they all still work great, plus he uses them on cars we can only dream about getting to seat in!

Just my thought's and break down the 2 options for a DA system with the best Foam Disk's, Hope I helped. Let us know what DA you get, And we will help you make that stang look it's BEST! 1 more thing I just about forgot that is the most important thing when it comes to a DA and foam pads. And that's a Pad brush!! Another $13.00. But still at or just a tad over $200.00 For option 2 you got the best system as of this time until the MT300 comes out but also the foam Disk. You can stick to just using Meguiars Ultimate Compound ( But just use the first time or only on swirled area's and that bottle will last a long time) and a bottle of Ultimate Polish or the White Wax for it's cleaning ability and the Black Wax for polishing to keep that stang looking it's show best everyday
        ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
        You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
        Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Daniel brings up a valid point. My brother has the HF DA and I have the PC 7424XP. The HF does have more power but it does vibrate more. It also is a little louder than the PC.

If you can save up I would definitely save up for the MT300 DA. Someone just picked up at autogeek with the 15% sale for $186 shipped. All you need is pads and a backing plate. Wait and see what black friday brings around. You don't need to buy everything at once.

As Daniel said don't forget the pad brush. With the pads I may add a cutting pad just in case you need more correction. The new foam cutting pads have been redesigned so that they finish better. But as always do a test spot.

What's your budget?
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

It's funny how everyone I've talked to lately that has the HF DA tells me about how much it vibrates.. Personaly, I've never even thought that was even a slight problem with it. I'm glad for that, otherwise I might not like it as much as I do

If I had to list any cons about it I guess I'd say the weight of the machine would be #1. And #2 would be the placement of the on/off switch. As you can probably tell those are very minor things to find wrong with it, and it more than makes up for those cons thanks to it's price, power, versitility & durability. At $58 - the 20% coupon you can print out.. Comes out to $46... Umm yea... You can buy whichever backing plate you best desire,[just dont use the 1 it comes with] buy your choice of pads, [it'd be cool to try out Megs new foam discs right?]

It'll all come down to your personal prefferance.. If you think it may vibrate strongly enough to bother you look elsewhere.. But if your arms are the equivalent of a Cadillac speeding over railroad tracks, then you won't even notice any vibration at all. Lol.

Comment

I was in the same boat as you. Bought a metallic black car for the first time this spring which lead me here. As most of these guys will tell you, I went in head first once the schooled me on products. I did end up getting a DA. I got a Griots Garage DA. I ordered this one from Detailers Domain. http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griot...it-_p_690.html I went with it because he it came with some pads and the 5 inch backing plate. It also comes with the original 6 inch plate too in case you would ever need that. I don't have anything else to compare it to but I have used it probably 7 times since I purchased it and I like it. I have used it more on others cars then my own, but I finally got to do my own a couple of weeks ago, and it did make difference in the pop. Oh, I forgot to mention, I think I also had a 15 or 20 % off special they were running at the time. So, check their FB page for deals. Would get they would be having black Friday type deals coming up.

Edit: just checked there FB page and they have a 15% off with free shipping promo until midnight 11/22
              2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
              2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
              2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                It's funny how everyone I've talked to lately that has the HF DA tells me about how much it vibrates.. Personaly, I've never even thought that was even a slight problem with it. I'm glad for that, otherwise I might not like it as much as I do

If I had to list any cons about it I guess I'd say the weight of the machine would be #1. And #2 would be the placement of the on/off switch.
                I can't help you with the weight problem but the switch can be moved very easily! Just remove the top cover plastic, to let you get to the 4 screws from the head and remove them. Then being very careful and pull out and twist unit to where the switch is now on top and replace the 4 screws and the top cover piece and your done.
                ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Yea, I've read the in depth instructions w/pix regarding the mods on the HF polisher.. However I'm not exactly the best when it comes to taking gadgets apart or playing mechanic.
                  I can connect the heck out of someones home theater and stuff like that.. But when it comes to stuff like the mods for my DA, I wouldn't attempt it myself and risk leaving it fubar. Lol.

But I got an idea from reading this thread.. I have a friend who's a natural at taking stuff apart and working with tools. He's the same friend who helped me fix my front end after a recent car accident I had. And even though I paid him $ I've always wanted to do something extra because he helped me out bigtime. He bought his wife a Lincoln Town Car a few years back which is her daily driver, and I had been wanting to offer to polish it and make it look great for them, free of charge.

But being a longtime friend I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to mod my DA's switch + change the grease and make it a win/win for both of us.?
                  I'm gonna see if he's interested.

Comment

Here you go.

Can't beat the price of $100 for a slightly used G110. Give Vega at Autopia Car Care a call.

I've got a few 'open box' polishers for sale. Some of these we've had to open to demo for shows, so they have a couple hours of use on them.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');