• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Victory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Victory?

In preparation for a car show that I attended yesterday (Saturday), I started detailing my car this past Monday. Here is what I did:

Monday - 2 Bucket wash, including the wheels and wheel wells (with separate water and sponges) followed by a complete drying with a leaf blower.

Tuesday - blasted the car off with compressed air, and then an application of Ultimate Polish with an orbital buffer

Wednesday - Worked 13 1/2 hours, got home late and went straight to bed

Thursday - blasted the car off with compressed air, then an application of Ultimate Wax with the orbital buffer. Then I used Plasti Dip to black out the front emblem. I also did the rear faux gas cap, but I didn't like how the Plasti Dip was looking lumpy, so I pealed it off.

Friday - I used a vacation day to stay home from work! I started by blowing off the car with compressed air, including the engine bay. I applied Ultimate Black on the plastics under the hood, and wiped down as much of the engine bay as I could. I then applied Ultimate Black to the plastics on the exterior of the car. After that, I used the residue of the Ultimate Black that was on my microfiber clothe to wipe down the interior of the car. This seemed to work really well, as it didn't leave any greasy surfaces behind, cleaned them up, and left them looking really nice and fresh! I then wiped down all of the door jambs, and the trunk jambs before vacuuming the interior and the trunk. I then blew the car off again with compressed air, wiped down the exhaust tips, and loaded her with whatever stuff I'd need for the car show! Luckily, it didn't start raining until the evening, after I put her away in the garage.

Saturday - I woke up early for a Saturday, at 0620, to go help set up the car show. It was REALLY windy all night. As I drove to the car show, it sounded like billions of BB pellets where hitting my car as I was driving, and I saw precipitation on my windshield. It was a combination of a little sleet and snow flurry. There were leaves just piled up everywhere in the street from the high winds all night. I was feeling a little disheartened. I got to the location of the car show, a Ford dealership about 15 minutes from my house, and helped set up in the freezing cold. It was ridiculously windy, and after awhile, I ended up inside helping with the registration. I went back out to prepare my car, and I found it to be covered in a layer of dust and pieces of leaves. I felt crushed! But I broke out a Dust Buster to tidy up the interior, and went off to help judge a different class of cars than mine was in.

All-in-all, I had about 13 hours of time invested in detailing my car over the course of the week. As the awards ceremony started, I was talking to a good friend and club member who got me involved in showing my car in the first place, and he told me about how he was getting second place because of a light ring of oil around an electrical harness under the hood of his car. I didn't know you could look at your score sheets, and he encouraged me to run in and grab mine before they got thrown out.

I quickly ran in and found my score sheet, and I had zero point deductions across the board for my car!!!!! I don't know how many cars ended up in my class (2010 to 2015 Mustangs), but two cars tied for 3rd, 2nd, and 1st each. My car was one of the cars that tied for a 1st place award!!!!

The white flecks are snow flakes!

My car next to the new 2015 Mustang GT!

It was a lot of work and I was actually surprised by the 1st place award as there were a lot of really nice, well cared for Fords at the show and in my class. Thank you guys, of this forum, for the tips and how-to advice! This is only my 3rd car show, and only the second for me with Mustang Club of America Modified Judging, and I got 1st in my class!!!! I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of the information you guys share on this forum!
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

I too know how much effort you put into you first place finish. It feels good to be rewarded for all your hard work. Most ppl wont go to your level of effort. Ours is a labor of love. Congratulations on your win.
    Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
    2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Comment

Re: Detailing Victory?

Originally posted by GLOCKer View Post

Congrats on the first place . So sick!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
      1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
      1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
      1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
      1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

Congrats. The award is well deserved for all your hard work.

FYI ultimate black and ultimate protectant are closely related. Just a different application method.

You should invest in some ultimate wash & wax anywhere. That way you can waterless wash your car while at the show to clean it up. If it was light dust then ultimate quik detailer would be fine. Just some tips for the future.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I had a wash and wax product out there with me, but the particulates were so big and so many, I didn't want to touch the car. Yesterday, I pulled the car out of the garage and tried blowing it off with compressed air, and I'd say that it got about half the thickness of the layer of dust off of it. It really is going to need another two bucket application of Wash & Wax after a good rinse to put it back to shiny!
          2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');