• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Canada-Clear Coat Paint Surface Burn at Inner Side of Rounded Reveal Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Canada-Clear Coat Paint Surface Burn at Inner Side of Rounded Reveal Edge

Hello from Canada,
    I unfortunately cannot attach a picture of my problem as I am new to the forum - any thoughts as this would help everyone?

Anyhow, the upper cowl on my motorcycle was recently painted (hit be a rock). The area of impact was perfectly colour blended and then the entire panel was cleared. The cowl was put back on the bike after inspection (which I did not do well enough!). I later noticed a mild sag in the clear - too much clear in an area that covered a rounded reveal at the edge of the cowl. After I noticed it, I took it back to the body shop and they wet sanded it out to the inner edge of the reveal to properly expose it and this left a white blemish against the edge. You only see it when your really close up like in the picture I would like to post (although the picture magnifies it under LED light). The body shops comment was they did not see this (nor did I initially but noted after I pointed it out to them that the clear burned/boiled (not through but on the surface) and a repaint would be required to fix it likely. They also indicated with this condition the paint was still very well protected by the original clear and the surface new clear. Beyond this area I have noticed the blemish continues 3/4 of the way up the revial/cowl as a very faint line which frankly you cannot see in normal day light. I also noticed the same condition (faint line) on the other side of the cowl for a small length against this same reveal). Obviously when buffing after paint/clear this condition was introducing itself beyond when I initially went back to get the sag fixed.

My questions is this. If it is a burn and is not through the clear coat, would scratch x or some other product further minimize or eliminate it? If I can't fix this, I am back and forth as to whether to take the cowl off and take it back as this is a lengthly endevour and more importantly I am worried about introducing more paint to the original painted portion of the panel as the pearl (pearl mystic black) is very difficult to match.

I look forward to your feedback.

Re: Hello from Canada-Clear Coat Paint Surface Burn at Inner Side of Rounded Reveal E

Welcome.

You can resize your photo and upload it into your gallery. Then you can post the [IMG] tag into the post.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Hello from Canada-Clear Coat Paint Surface Burn at Inner Side of Rounded Reveal E

Don't have to see a photo vintage1, ...a burn is a burn. No way around it. If a tech broke through the clear and they acknowledge it, they have to re-shoot the cowl. It's just the right thing to do. That burn can be hidden somewhat ...but it will be back to haunt you later as the clear-coat cures and sinks with age.
      Uber-Shine, The Automobile Polishing Shop
      'Wet-Sanding & Restorative Polishing To The Trade Since 1976'
      www.uber-shine.com

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');