• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice On Etching Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice On Etching Damage

Hi all new to the group and very much the novice.

I have a black '05 Sonata with what I believe to be tree sap damage/etching. I removed as much as I could

as it occurred with Turtle Wax bug and tar remover but over the years the whitish scaring has accumulated and gotten worse.

So far I have tried.

- Soaking for a few hours with Turtle Wax bug and tar remover
    - Wash and Clay Bar.
    - Iso alcohol
    - And lastly Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (by hand)

This has made no difference at all. The damage is still there. (However after using the Ultimate Compound

the areas next to the etchings look amazing ! This is an unbelievable product.)

Where do I go from here ?

Will a tool such as the Meguiar's G3500 DA Power System Tool (attach to home drill) make a difference as

opposed to doing it by hand ?

Do I need to go with a stronger compound (such as Meguiar's M105) ?

M105 along with the DA Power system (or other DA tool)?

Or is Wet sanding my only alternative ?

For the most part they appear to be below surface (how far I don't have the experience to tell) though I do feel some roughness. So there may be some chipping as well.

Thank you, Bob

The flash by the way made this last photo look much worse than it actually does in the daylight. Though it did emphasize the damage.

Re: Need Advice On Etching Damage

Wait for others to chime in, but unfortunately, it looks like they have etched into the clear coat and it has begun to fail.

In that case, there's not much you can do other than respray the panel.
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Re: Need Advice On Etching Damage

Yeah I agree. Looks like clear coat failure.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');