• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to detail my car again this week and I have several questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to detail my car again this week and I have several questions.

First off, is it okay to break up the detailing over a couple of days? Can I come home from work on Tuesday, and wash the car, then come home from work on Thursday, and compound it? Then on Friday, can I polish and wax the car in preparation for a car show on Saturday? Should I use compressed air or a leaf blower to knock the dust off the car before I start working on it the next day? The car is garage kept and wont be driven until Saturday, so it shouldn't get bad overnight and while I'm at work.

So, on the subject of compounding...
    I've got a couple of scratches on the car (no clue how they got there as it's been parked in the garage!) that I want to take care of before the car show on Saturday. If I want to use Ultimate Compound on the scratches, do I need to do the whole car, or can I just hit the areas of concern, then polish the whole car? Should I try just the polish first to see if that takes out the scratches?
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Looks like you have the right idea with a few of your concerns...
    1. Good idea to try and polish the sratches first and see how it comes out. if not, then compound just the scratches...no need to do the whole car (unless its that bad and it needs it but doesnt seem to per your observation.)
    2. Its ok to break up the detail. Esp if the car won't leave the garage during the week. Depending how dusty it gets, you could use compressed air, then if any dust remains use a little quick detailer and clean microfiber cloth

Comment

Re: Going to detail my car again this week and I have several questions.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Hey GLOCKer,

What machine, pads and polish you have/use?

Nice Car by the way!
        ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
        You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
        Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Try not to flinch, but this is what I'm using:

And I'm using the pads it came with. I'm new at this stuff, so I didn't want to go too aggressive. I'm happy with the results I got from it last time!

Comment

And here is a pic of the car at a car show after the last wash and a quick application of spray on wax:

Comment

Looks great buddy!

Don't worry, I started out using one of those wax spreader's and over several years learned the proper technique to making them work better!

Until you get a Meguiars DA, just go get you some 6'' foam bonnet. The only way to get munch better results! Now the wax spreader won't cut it (pun intended) with some of today's harder clears but you should be ok with that black CC ford paint for now.

Total cut is determined by many variables and even applies to the orbitals, but pressure is limited to about 10 or 12lbs if your bonnet isn't loaded with to much spent product. So a foam pad brush applies to orbitals as well and cleaning your pad on the fly. Also change out your foam bonnet too. 4 to 6 should be good for the cleaning step, 2 to 4 for polishing and 1 to 2 for the wax or sealant application. This will make your foam bonnets last you a little longer.

You can get decent results but will take longer as you know, Use slow arm speed, and your limited to a small working section, no more then a 15'' X 15'' and that's pushing it even on the polishing step. Another thing I used to do to see if I was doing any good or just wasting time, was to get me a new yard stick (glue a soft piece eye glass microfiber cleaner cloth on the starting end of the yard stick so as not to scratch the paint)

Now this is by any means a correct way but was my way to see if I was doing good or wasting time. Note: working on my black single stage mustang! And my garage had no windows and didn't move at any time and made sure I was in same exact spot at each reading.

What I would do is place yard stick down with the 1 inch closes to the paint, then would look into the paint to see what number I cold see the clearest under my lighting. Make readings and write down for reference's after polishing was finished and compare. Old School but worked!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on going out at lunch and buying more of the bonnets. What year is that beautiful 'stang of yours?

Comment

90'GT, Made a Bad mistake and sold her several years ago and paying the price every day!!!! Wasn't the quickest but would hold her own on the street but built just to be a fun weekend car I could drive to the track and race it hard and drive back home 210 miles round trip. Man she was reliable and stuck to the road even with all UPR Drag suspension.

PM me and tell me about your Bad Looking stang, sometime!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');