• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Protect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Paint Protect - 365 Day Durability

Did a bit more testing about a month ago.

I had left the hood of the pathfinder untreated with PP365 as a control. Decided to polish the hood and then apply PP365 on it. After polishing I applied PP365 and found that it didn't bead where I had polished.
    I need to wash the car again when I have a chance but I feel like polishing affects bonding of the product. Rest of the car still has nice beading and is holding up well, but the rest was only clayed.

Might see have to do some testing on the Mini cooper and do another test.

Comment

What polish did you use? Also how long did you wait before you got it wet?
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
        What polish did you use? Also how long did you wait before you got it wet?
        Hit it with M105/205 combo. Removed polishing oils with a mix of D114 and IPA.
        It was about a week before it rained here after applying on the hood.

Comment

Interesting. Maybe there was still some polishing oils still on the paint. I'm about to give this another go as soon as it cools down here a bit. It's summer weather here in So Cal with temps in the 90's and high humidity.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Interesting. Maybe there was still some polishing oils still on the paint. I'm about to give this another go as soon as it cools down here a bit. It's summer weather here in So Cal with temps in the 90's and high humidity.
            I guess it is possible there were still polishing oils left behind. But something with that doesn't exactly add up. Polishing oils by themselves would produce beading on the paint. The paint acts like nothing was ever applied and it was flat. As far as water behavior on the paint it was very similar to your first tests.

Comment

You are right the polishing oils should not affect it.

I will say this. Paint protect beads better in the rain than it does with a hose nozzle. How's the sheeting action on those areas?
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
                I guess it is possible there were still polishing oils left behind. But something with that doesn't exactly add up. Polishing oils by themselves would produce beading on the paint. The paint acts like nothing was ever applied and it was flat. As far as water behavior on the paint it was very similar to your first tests.
                Perhaps it was because there were no polishing oils?

It would be interesting if you could polish again and then apply PP365 without trying to remove the polishing oils first.
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

You are right the polishing oils should not affect it.

I will say this. Paint protect beads better in the rain than it does with a hose nozzle. How's the sheeting action on those areas?
                  I haven't had a chance to even wash the car since I applied on the hood. I should finally have some time this weekend.

In the rain it was completely flat, no beads, rest of the car is beading great.

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                  Perhaps it was because there were no polishing oils?

It would be interesting if you could polish again and then apply PP365 without trying to remove the polishing oils first.
                  Being no polishing oils doesn't make sense either. Rest of the car was only clayed and not polished. No issues with any other panel except the one I polished.

If I can get the GF to stop driving the Mini cooper for a day I will do some testing on her car. It needs something on it for winter anyways.

Comment

I applied PP365 to a black Optima today. Washed and clayed it first. Applied easily but appeared blotchy after removal. I assume this will go away after all cures. Anyone else have this issue or recommendations to avoid this?
                    -Bob
                    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                      I applied PP365 to a black Optima today. Washed and clayed it first. Applied easily but appeared blotchy after removal. I assume this will go away after all cures. Anyone else have this issue or recommendations to avoid this?
                      It is a bit oily but it needs to be applied very thin. I posted this video in my review on a new way to apply it. I let it sit on the paint for 5 mins prior to removing it. Applying it this way and it will kind of level it out more on the paint. A little product goes a long way. The blotchyness should go away after the first wash if all else fails.

99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I know Meguiars usually recommends a second coat on many of their LSP products to ensure even coverage. Would the same apply for PP365 after an initial 24 hour cure or would there be no point in doing so with this particular product?
                        2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

So I guess Paint Protect description as wipe on/wipe off type of product has some margin of 3-5 minute initial cure time. Based on posts above this initial cure is quite important.

I know Meguiars usually recommends a second coat on many of their LSP products to ensure even coverage. Would the same apply for PP365 after an initial 24 hour cure or would there be no point in doing so with this particular product?

The second layer of Paint Protect is optional after at least 24 hours past the first application. Of course it won't mean two layers of protection but just a more uniform coverage.

Comment

can i use this after compounding and polishing?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rhnos View Post
                              can i use this after compounding and polishing?

thanks
                              Yes. PP365 is a form a protection.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Anyone have any new to add or experiences with regards to durability.

Personally, I've used it several times. The slickness seems to dissipate rather quickly when compared to something like UPW, at least IMO. For me it seems to continue beading for quite some time. I would say from a casual observation it seems to bead for 2-3 months with weekly (sometimes every other week) tunnel washes, nothing scientific however. UPW seems to keep the slickness longer IMO.
                                2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');