• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall Spots on Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Spots on Car

As I am a new member, I'm not to sure this subject might be appropriate, or than I am approaching it the correct way. But, I'd like to give it a try.

About this time last year, I noticed many black spots on my white Toyota. Looked like bird poop! All spots were about 1/16" in diameter and scattered all over the car. When trying to remove them, some of them went down to the base metal. Called my insurance agent, had him look at it, and he determined it came from inch worms. I did not agree, but my insurance company paid for an entire new paint job!

This year, the same thing just happened! This time I did a little research and found that applying a window cleaner and using a microfiber cloth, I could remove the spots successfully. This year, none of them went down to the base metal. Maybe I caught it in time. Don't know! My efforts this year seem to be successful, so far!

Has anyone had a problem like this? I mean last year, these spots ate right down to the base metal so when I first noticed the same spots again this year, I addressed the issue immediately! Prior to this, I have never had a problem and I have been living here for 28 years!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Fall Spots on Car

How long did you wait to remedy the paint the first time.
    The acid from the worm poop ate thru your paint. My sis had a red Civic that had a huge bird spot she never took care of...duh.
    It ate thru the paint like liquid acid would, only slower.

You definitely want to think of a regular wash and wax routine or suffer through brand new paint jobs every two years....ouch
    Meguiars waxes and sealants would really help protect the car or make the new paint job sizzle.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend you try a clay bar next time. That removes surface contaminants. The add a coat of wax to protect the paint.

Those inch worms have some strong teeth to eat through the paint. Did this occur at the same location?
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

Last year, I didn't wait to long after I seen the spots to remove them. And it happened just after applying a wax. Used a Meguiar's wax as I normally do. Thru the years, I've had very good luck with Meguiar's. A few days ago, as soon as I noticed it, I got to work cleaning up the mess.

The problem I am having accepting all this about inch worms is that the car is not near any tree that would be the home of inch worms. The closest tree with inch worms is a birch tree and that tree is about 40 feet from where my car is parked. There are no trees overhanging above my car. Strange!

I also have a white Lexus. This car is always in the garage. But I have found one or two of the same type spots on this car, but, really nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the your input!

RickPezz

Comment

A quick search for 'inch worm poop on car' gives a good number of responses from frustrated people.
          I'm sure you already thought of a canopy or car cover. That really sounds like a major headache.

Comment

I too find it hard to believe that damage was caused from inch worm poop. Do you have any pics?
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

No pictures. I was so frustrated when I saw them on there again that I immediately started to clean the car.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Just an idea...do a search for, "artillery fungus."

It kinda sounds (from you description) like that.

Good luck...

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill, sounds like it could be my problem. I have noticed it on my house also. But for some strange reason, it only happens certain times of the year. This year, the deposits were quite heavy. This approach makes more sense that the inch worm approach.

Thanks for the input.

RickPezz

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');