• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best product for weatherstripping, and for non-shiny 'flat black' vinyl/plastic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best product for weatherstripping, and for non-shiny 'flat black' vinyl/plastic?

Hi,
    disclosure, I WORK for 3M (26 years!), and I spent 1/2 an hour in the company store today looking for a Meguiars product for my new Toyota Highlander to apply to the weatherstripping and figure Meguiars MUST have something designed to keep the weatherstripping rubber nice and supple over the years.... Not for "looks", but for LONGEVITY, keeping it supple and prevent degradation and tearing...

Ditto for trying to find a vinyl/plastic 'protectant' (dash, panels, fender/bumper trim) that is FLAT, not "shiny or slick" which all of the stuff in our store (including the "Ultimate Protector" I've read about on this blog) specifically says "do not use where a shiny or slick surface is not desired!"

As many of your vehicles probably are, mine has a flat-black vinyl dash, and flat-black bumper and fender trim. Isn't there a plastic protector/rejuvenator that will STAY "flat", and not add a gloss that I DON'T want? I should mention that I have the upscale edition with "soft" padded surfaces and the perforated leather seats... Still plan on the same leather protector (just will be careful to not 'fill the holes' by over-doing it!), but all the vinyl surfaces are have some 'soft-touch' to them and look great in their natural 'flat' appearance as-new. The hard plastics I'm not as concerned with but also prefer to use one product for all (except the leather and weatherstripping of course).

Yeah, we all love glossy shiny paint, but vinyl & interior plastic (especially the dash, for reflection!!!!!) is another story!
    Any suggestions? I'm sure our store doesn't carry the full-line of Meguiar products available, just the most popular ones.....
    Thanks for your help!
    Barry
    PS: Love the polymer Meguiars wax (Tech 2X or something?) and the Gold Wash..... Great products, just need to find these two elusive ones... :-)
    Also, assuming they exist, where is the best place to buy them? (can I order direct from Meguiars? I have always just bought at the company store..

Re: Best product for weatherstripping, and for non-shiny 'flat black' vinyl/plastic?

I have use Meguiars vinyl cleaner and protectant on weather stripping. It works well but does not last very long, no I just use regular silicone spray or in a few spots actual silicone grease. as for matte black trim I have had good results with d-156 synthetic express spray wax.
    2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');