• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painters tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painters tape

Which painters tape is the right product for use on car paint? I've heard not to use green painters tape. There also seems to be a variety of blue tapes at Home Depot .

Re: Painters tape

Masking tape comes in various colors & I don't think that means anything. When I buy it I look to see if it says 'automotive masking tape' then I choose the width I need.

Comment

I agree with Joe. I've used a wide range of painters and automotive tape and have to stick with automotive. Painters tape has caused me some problems with stubborn adhesive residue, tape not wanting to come up without tearing, or not sticking to the car and grabbing my pad when I try to get a little too close.

Color doesn't seem to matter much but I've got a stock of about 4 or 5 different sizes and 3 different colors of 3M and Rustoleum automotive tape. All seem to work well. Probably best to spend a little extra and go to an auto parts store and get the good stuff. Search on the net for some better prices if that's an option. You can sometimes get a good sale at autogeek.net or detailedimage.com especially if you order more than tape. I think both have some good sales on Meguiar's products right now.

Comment

I used green tape on my car, and I regret it. It raised the clear coat on around where the edges of where the tape was laying. I was told this is a common issue with the green tape. I don't know for sure if that's what caused it, but I will never use it on my paint again!
        2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Are you referring to green automotive tape by 3m? That's what I have. Should I look for something else? Or are u talking about green painters tape?

Originally posted by GLOCKer View Post
          I used green tape on my car, and I regret it. It raised the clear coat on around where the edges of where the tape was laying. I was told this is a common issue with the green tape. I don't know for sure if that's what caused it, but I will never use it on my paint again!

Comment

All I use is 3M's green automotive tape and I have yet to have an issue with it. I don't use it a ton just because I hate taping things off unless I absolutely have to, but when I do, that's the stuff. Can't vouch for anyone else, but it works for me.
            Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Make sure it says, "Delicate Surface", if you buy painters' tape.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              David

Comment

Originally posted by larry33 View Post
                Are you referring to green automotive tape by 3m? That's what I have. Should I look for something else? Or are u talking about green painters tape?
                I'm sorry, I should have been more specific!!! It was Gorilla Glue brand green tape. That was the specific brand of green tape I was told I shouldn't use, after I had already used it and caused the issue!
                2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');