• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Polisher! What's 1st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Polisher! What's 1st?

I recently completed a round of waxing about a month ago on my 2014 Focus ST
    and my wife's 2015 Forester, both black. I did a coat of M20 polymer sealant, M7
    glaze, and high-tech yellow wax. I used my Sears orbital
    with a microfiber pad to remove the wax and it was applied by hand.

My GG 6" arrives tomorrow and I am looking forward to using it. Both of the
    cars look good, but in the sun they have some minor swirling. The Forester is worse
    and I noticed the clear coat on it is a bit weak. I am wondering what I could
    use to play with the new polish and attack the swirls at the same time? I might
    as well be productive testing it out. I have the following at home:

Ultimate Polish
    Ultimate Compound
    Cleaner Wax
    Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
    Deep Crystal Polish
    Ceep Crystal Carnuba
    Polymer Sealant (professional line)
    Show Car Glaze (professional line)
    High-Tech Yellow Wax (professional line)

If it matters, I have 6 lake county pads, mildly agressive up to fine polish.
    Will remove with lambswool pad covered in a microfiber.

Re: New Polisher! What's 1st?

I would start with the least agressive first ULtiamte polish on a polishing pad. If it does not work step it up to Ultimate compound. For a new car, the most aggressive pad I would use is a polishing pad. Make sure you have a finishing pad so you can apply the Polymer Sealtant or the High-tech Yellow.

Be warned the High-tech yellow wears off in about 3 weeks in hot temperatures. I never used Polymer sealant..so not sure How long that will last.

Allways do a test spot to determine your game plan...

Comment

Originally posted by goldenlight View Post
      I would start with the least agressive first ULtiamte polish on a polishing pad. If it does not work step it up to Ultimate compound. For a new car, the most aggressive pad I would use is a polishing pad. Make sure you have a finishing pad so you can apply the Polymer Sealtant or the High-tech Yellow.

Be warned the High-tech yellow wears off in about 3 weeks in hot temperatures. I never used Polymer sealant..so not sure How long that will last.

Allways do a test spot to determine your game plan...
      Wears off in 3 weeks? It's a carnuba wax ?

Comment

M26 = carnauba based

M20 = synthetic (it's a cleaner sealant)
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          M26 = carnauba based

M20 = synthetic (it's a cleaner sealant)
          I have the M26 for my final wax. I dont believe it wears off in 3 weeks.

Comment

How did you determine the clear coat 'is a bit weak' on the Forester?

And what specifically does that phrase mean to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Selectchoice View Post
              How did you determine the clear coat 'is a bit weak' on the Forester?

And what specifically does that phrase mean to you?
              After the 1st time I hand washed and dried it, I noticed there were minor swirls all over the car. Most prevalant in the sun obviously. Shortly after that I was on the Subaru Forester forum and saw where a couple of other mentioned that the clear coat is soft on those cars and has to be handled with extreme care. I use the same process with both of our cars, and mine seems to show much less than hers (2014 and 2015). I use the two bucket method and dry with my gas blower, using microfiber to touch it up.

What does it mean to me? I guess since I have done multiple cars the same way (all black) and this one has shows the most clear coat swirling, I would consider this to be a weaker clear coat compared to the other cars I have had. It seems to be tempermental.

Comment

Originally posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
                I have the M26 for my final wax. I dont believe it wears off in 3 weeks.
                Hard to say how long it will last for you. Could be in the neighborhood of 1-3 months. It all depends on the environment you are in. If you want something longer stick with M20 or pick up NXT, M21 or Ultimate Wax. Those should net you about 4-6 months.

Originally posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
                After the 1st time I hand washed and dried it, I noticed there were minor swirls all over the car. Most prevalant in the sun obviously. Shortly after that I was on the Subaru Forester forum and saw where a couple of other mentioned that the clear coat is soft on those cars and has to be handled with extreme care. I use the same process with both of our cars, and mine seems to show much less than hers (2014 and 2015). I use the two bucket method and dry with my gas blower, using microfiber to touch it up.

What does it mean to me? I guess since I have done multiple cars the same way (all black) and this one has shows the most clear coat swirling, I would consider this to be a weaker clear coat compared to the other cars I have had. It seems to be tempermental.
                It's not weak. It's just soft. It's means taking extra care when washing, rinseless washing, QD wipedowns etc. Best way to determine if it is soft is if you try a test spot with the least aggressive product. This will tell you how the paint reacts. UP would be where I would start and adjust from there.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');