• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UC & UP or UC & SwirlX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC & UP or UC & SwirlX?

I am doing my sister's car this weekend and she has some pretty decent oxidation. It's a 2008 Corolla that has never seen a handwash or wax. I have a bottle of UP and UC at home that I planned on doing a couple of test squares with on the deck lid. I am hoping I can get away with just a polish. I read that after the UC I would have swirls that would need to be removed so here are my questions:

1. If I find out I need the UC, would I need to use a swirl remover after that, like Swirl X? If there are swirls, will the UP remove them and is it even made for that?

2. Are there any general guidelines about when the use UC over UP or does the test square do that?

I want to make sure I have everything on hand to address. My plan is the UC and/or UP, followed by High-Tech Yellow Wax and possibly a sealant. Thanks!

Re: UC & UP or UC & SwirlX?

I used UC a few times to get rid of scratches on a black car, and did not get any swirls after using it. After the UC, I used ColorX as the polish, then UW, and the paint sparkled after. (Personally do not like UP myself) I used the thing that goes on the end of a drill....great little invention for small scratches. I imagine if you used a DA, and some aggressive cutting pads, and unusual pressure, you might get some swirls or hazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
      I used UC a few times to get rid of scratches on a black car, and did not get any swirls after using it. After the UC, I used ColorX as the polish, then UW, and the paint sparkled after. (Personally do not like UP myself) I used the thing that goes on the end of a drill....great little invention for small scratches. I imagine if you used a DA, and some aggressive cutting pads, and unusual pressure, you might get some swirls or hazing.
      I have the Griot's DA Polisher. The pads I do have are not on the agressive side, I think I have one that is mildly agressive.

Comment

Pad is just as if not more important as the product. It's hard to say what to go with without a pic of the surface. But UC itself is a wonderful product that with the pad sometimes ur able to go straight to wax. Honostly I say UC and up. Assuming that there are agressive swirls. With minor u can go swirl x and up. But again the pad does determine the cutting abilities along with da speed. These sort of questions come up alot and I'm sure stoops will go further into detail on why each is so important when deciding how to attack. Ur best bet is like u said do a few test panels, but in honostly without the right pads, da speed, and product. Ur decision will b difficult to access by us as there are so many variables in play here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
          Pad is just as if not more important as the product. It's hard to say what to go with without a pic of the surface. But UC itself is a wonderful product that with the pad sometimes ur able to go straight to wax. Honostly I say UC and up. Assuming that there are agressive swirls. With minor u can go swirl x and up. But again the pad does determine the cutting abilities along with da speed. These sort of questions come up alot and I'm sure stoops will go further into detail on why each is so important when deciding how to attack. Ur best bet is like u said do a few test panels, but in honostly without the right pads, da speed, and product. Ur decision will b difficult to access by us as there are so many variables in play here.
          Man, so many variables. I guess it will come with experience the longer I do it. I just want to make sure I have everything on hand. I might pick up a bottle of Swirl X just to have one. I am going to have 17 test squares on her car, it's going to be fantastic.

Comment

I would pick up UC and M205. M205 is so versatile. Much more than UP.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');