• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXTREME Bug and Tar coverage on car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXTREME Bug and Tar coverage on car

Hey guys,

I am currently doing a car for a guy who lives out in the country. He rarely has ever had his Challenger cleaned in the 4 years he's owned it. Never on the inside, and only a couple times on the outside. Because of living in the country he has bug splatters, over bug splatters, over bug splatters to even darken the front and sides of his car.

I do not even know where to begin to clean this all off.

I began by fully washing the car, then spraying the front with tarminator, but I mean I have to scrub REALLY hard to make any headway into this. And if I was to continue this way, it is going to take several hours if not more. And I don't even know if I'd be damagaing the paint at all.

Would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks all very much!

Ray

Possibly take some mf towels and soak in hot water? Maybe with some straight soap on it?

Comment

Re: EXTREME Bug and Tar coverage on car

Yeah, get some towels or sheets and soak them in water and drape them over the affected areas for as long as possibe (maybe up to 1-2 hours). That usually softens the bugs and they come off more easily.

Are you doing any paint correction on the car? If so, a bit of scrubbing on the paint shouldn't matter.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks guys, the draping of the sheets sounds like a real good idea.

I just got frustrated, because I gave the customer a set price for the detail without considering how much time and work it was going to be to take care of all that bug and tar work. And then I Felt embarassed to up the price after that. I guess a lesson to be learned.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, and have a great day!

Ray

Comment

Bounce sheets lightly spritzed with water work great. You can put a wet sheet over the nasty ones and let them dwell for a few minutes. A light agitation then a good wash usually takes everything off. If there are bits embedded I'll use a dedicated piece of clay to pull off the guts. I still need to try diluted fabric softener as a presoak.

Comment

What he (Romad81) said^^^.

I don't have a clue what's in those dryer sheets, but it does work. Just don't get too ambitious 'scrubbing' with them, they are a bit on the 'coarse' side.

Bill

Comment

Fabric Softner sheets??? That's the first time I ever heard about that one. I guess it's surely worth a try. I'll try a few areas and see how it goes,

Thanks guys!

Ray

Comment

Yeah, I've heard of that quite a lot. Never tried it, but its supposed to be very effective.
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

How did Meg's bug splatter sponges work? I found a bunch on clearance and thought about grabbing them for the member giveaway.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');