• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do I need to use "Light Wax"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do I need to use "Light Wax"

I have bought a few years ago some products from Meguiars and since I have used them, nothing else matters anymore, I will stick with it. But it's becoming an obsession http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...s/pullhair.gif Now when I wash my car every week with yellow wash&wax shampoo I also apply after that the light wax because on the package it says you can use this light wax between the washings. Is it necessary to apply this every time after a wash to keep the protection 100% ? Last time after the wash I applied NXT2.0 wax instead of the light wax. I also have a bottle of polish but I only apply that once a month and then on top of the polish I use the ultimate liquid wax. Thanks for some advise here

Re: How often do I need to use "Light Wax"

The best way to go is: wax your car about 4 times per year (with a finishing wax, like NxT Tech Wax 2.0 or Ultimate Wax) and every time you wash your car spray a coat of spray wax (like Ultimate Quik Wax or Gold Class Premium Quik Wax) to boost the protection.

Comment

Good morning, I have ordered a bottle of "Ultimate Quick Wax" together with a new washmit and a bottle of "Ultimate Protectant Dash & Trim Restorer" for my black plastic exterior and interior parts. After reading some posts, it should be better to use the UQW after washing the car instead of WW (because too often WW is not good for the clearcoat ?) and ULW everytime after washing the car will take too much time and costs a lot more then UQW ? Correct me if I'm wrong And like Michael Stoops says ; "Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy."

Comment

If you already have a fresh coat of wax on your paint (or two coats) applying more wax won't do much good for you. During wipe off most of it will be just removed as it won't stick to the paint surface. Therefore Meguiar's has maintenance products: quick detailers to remove light dust from car paint between washes and quick (spray) waxes to use after car wash (they can be used after each car wash or even after quick detailers). Using maintenance products will result in extension of this "just detailed" look of your car.

Comment

How long should I wait to do a complete detailing again with UC, UP and ULW ? I mean, I have used last weeks WW on my car and last weekend after the wash I used NXT Wax on it. Would it be possible to do my complete detailing this weekend or won't it have effect because of aal the wax layers on the paint right now? And when to use the WW instead of the UC/UP/ULW ? the car is used every day.

Comment

Every time you use a product containing abrasives (compound, cleaner polish, cleaner wax) you remove a layer of paint/ clear coat. That's the reason why Meguiar's always recommends to go with the least aggressive method as factory clear coat is very thin (and scratch sensitive). Full detail (with below surface defect removal) 1-2 times per year should be sufficient. Waxing every 2-3 months should provide good paint protection. Cleaner waxes, like White Wax, are great products to use when time does not allow for a multi-step detailing. When you have just small paint issues and no time for compound/polish/wax then all-in-one product can be used instead.

Comment

Hello Greg,

Thanks for clearing some points out for me, I'm digging it.
              One more question, does UP contains abrasives and take some layer away from the clear coat, I guess not?
              Or could I also do my Ultimate Polish with Ultimate Liquid Wax on top of it every 2 months?

regards,
              Ryan

Comment

It sounds like you are doing this all by hand. Is that correct? If so I would not worry about you removing any clear coat. It will be so minimal especially doing it by hand. If it's by DA then that is a different story.

On to your waxing. You should not need to wax every other week. White wax alone should last you about 2-3 months unless your in a sever environment where it may last a month. Once you have applied your coat of wax then you can use ultimate quik wax in between washes until it's time to wax again. Synthetics like NXT or UW will last longer than a carnauba based wax (white wax, black wax, A12, M6, Gold Class, M26, colorx etc..). Now you can top off a cleaner wax with something longer lasting to get you something that lasts a little longer.

How long should I wait to do a complete detailing again with UC, UP and ULW ? I mean, I have used last weeks WW on my car and last weekend after the wash I used NXT Wax on it. Would it be possible to do my complete detailing this weekend or won't it have effect because of aal the wax layers on the paint right now? And when to use the WW instead of the UC/UP/ULW ? the car is used every day.
                You can do this once or twice a year. If you don't have time then this is where a cleaner wax will come into play. I would leave your car as is for now and use UQW in between washes. Once your wax begins to reach it's end of life you can go over it with white wax again or a full correction. That is up to you and depends on how much time you have to invest. If you do a full correction UC or UP will strip off all the wax on the car now.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by rytec View Post
                  One more question, does UP contains abrasives and take some layer away from the clear coat, I guess not?
                  Or could I also do my Ultimate Polish with Ultimate Liquid Wax on top of it every 2 months?
                  Hi Ryan,

Ultimate Polish is a cleaner polish, so it has mild abrasives.
                  Pure polishes (no abrasives) are: Deep Crystal Polish DC2 and M07 Show Car Glaze. You can use them as often as you wish and because they contain rich polishes oils they can cover up any paint imperfections.

Regardless of method of application (either hand or machine) when correcting below surface paint defects (scratches/swirls, water spots, oxidation) you need to remove a layer of paint/clear coat. If defects are deeper you need to remove more paint.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
                    Regardless of method of application (either hand or machine) when correcting below surface paint defects (scratches/swirls, water spots, oxidation) you need to remove a layer of paint/clear coat. If defects are deeper you need to remove more paint.
                    I'm in agreement with you. What I meant is more will be removed by machine than by hand unless he's hercules.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you all, Greg and Michael for this great information, Yes, I do it all by hand. And after a while you get the grip. I will leave the car as it is now because I have used WW after 3 washes in row and last weekend I used NXT wax and the surface feels like a baby skin. I will use that UQW now between the washes and before the real winter starts somewhere in november I will do a full detail again inside the garage and it is protected again for a few months. Thanks a lot! It really made things "clear" now

Comment

Sounds like a good plan.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                          It sounds like you are doing this all by hand. Is that correct? If so I would not worry about you removing any clear coat. It will be so minimal especially doing it by hand. If it's by DA then that is a different story.

On to your waxing. You should not need to wax every other week. White wax alone should last you about 2-3 months unless your in a sever environment where it may last a month. Once you have applied your coat of wax then you can use ultimate quik wax in between washes until it's time to wax again. Synthetics like NXT or UW will last longer than a carnauba based wax (white wax, black wax, A12, M6, Gold Class, M26, colorx etc..). Now you can top off a cleaner wax with something longer lasting to get you something that lasts a little longer.

You can do this once or twice a year. If you don't have time then this is where a cleaner wax will come into play. I would leave your car as is for now and use UQW in between washes. Once your wax begins to reach it's end of life you can go over it with white wax again or a full correction. That is up to you and depends on how much time you have to invest. If you do a full correction UC or UP will strip off all the wax on the car now.
                          Rytech:
                          The Guz is giving you the best advice. You are overdoing it by far. Way too much polishing and waxing. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Well, I have used last weekend the Ultimate Quick Wax spray after the wash and it's amazing how fast you're done. Now I can do this between the washes and once in 2 months I will do the full detail. thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');