• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginning Logistics Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning Logistics Question

I assume I started out like everyone else, taking good care of my cars and doing a couple of family member's cars. Eventually, I offered to do it for a co-worker who was talking about going to Ziebart and everyone raved about her car once I was done. She was one of my best friends, so I just took her car from work to my house and brought it back to work the next day. This worked out well, but obviously not everyone would be comfortable with that, plus they would have to get a ride home. So that leads to my question, I have a few other people lined up in the next month so I am wondering what option I should go with:

1. Have them bring it to my house and drop it off.
    2. I would go to their house with everything except a water supply.

Obviously if they didn't have a garage that would be a problem and there is only so much I can carry around. I also don't have a power washer. What did you guys do starting out with just a few jobs a month?

Re: Beginning Logistics Question

I started out just like you did. My first customers were friends who lived in the area so I would switch cars with them and take it back to my house. Of course, that wasn't going to work the more customers I started to do.
    But I found that going to the person's house really works out well. I've never had a problem hooking up to a power outlet and using their hose (thought I bring one just in case). I've never used a power washer to wash a car either and its worked out fine with me. Over time, I eventually got myself a chevy express van and its been an advantage for me over having a small shop....a lot less overhead and the customers really like the idea of not having to arrange to drop off the car.

Comment

Re: Beginning Logistics Question

Originally posted by benbjam View Post
      I started out just like you did. My first customers were friends who lived in the area so I would switch cars with them and take it back to my house. Of course, that wasn't going to work the more customers I started to do.
      But I found that going to the person's house really works out well. I've never had a problem hooking up to a power outlet and using their hose (thought I bring one just in case). I've never used a power washer to wash a car either and its worked out fine with me. Over time, I eventually got myself a chevy express van and its been an advantage for me over having a small shop....a lot less overhead and the customers really like the idea of not having to arrange to drop off the car.
      Gotcha. I guess the only reason I would want a power washer would be for bug removal and stubborn dirt/grime removal on the rocker panels. I have a lady here at work that lives on the opposite side of town that I do and she lives in an apartment complex. Obviously I can wash and wax in the sun, so I am guessing I would have to have her come to my house.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');